• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
stricken
Gold Boarder

No Kisses for Hershey Protest

#121103 2 years, 8 months ago
The AIDS healthcare foundation is calling for a nationwide boycott of the Hershey CO. on valentines day to protest the milton hershey schools rejection of a 13 year old boy who is hiv infected.
Last year milton hershey school officials denied the boy admission to the residential school for the economically disadvantaged after learning of his condition. They stated that they were afraid he may infect the other children and of course didnt want to be held accountable for this.
More information can be found at www.aidshealth.org

Also this company hershey has shipped 1000's of jobs to other countries please take a moument to read the label of what your eating some are still made in usa but majority are being made outside this country.

You can also make a differance through facebook and twitter This is prejudice plain and simple. The kid is sick not pointing a gun at any other student.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re, DancingTurtle
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

Re: No Kisses for Hershey Protest

#121208 2 years, 8 months ago
I heard abotu that.... fucked up and they made themselves out to look ridiculous. I wasn't buying hershies anyways.... but here here! Let's protest!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stricken
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#121264 2 years, 8 months ago
I'm in. Thanks for pointing this out. They should really feel this if the boycot gains traction this Valentines day.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
volare
Senior Boarder

#121295 2 years, 8 months ago
I am not sure why anyone would be protesting the Hershey Company. They are not affiliated with the school except in the fact that the founder of the chocolate company left a trust (his entire fortune, which included Hershey stock) for the development of the school. The Hershey corporation doesn't play a role in making administrative decisions.

And while this particular decision may be controversial, do you really want to raise too much of a stink against an institution that has spent the last 100 years with no other purpose than providing a first-rate, tuition-free education to underprivileged children?
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by volare.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stricken, Strider1
stricken
Gold Boarder

#121300 2 years, 8 months ago
Theres many reasons to keep a large corporation in check. And we could debate the whole hershey corporation thing because if the stock in the company losses value so does the schools funding. (even though the foundation does so much for so many as you said turning thier back and no real reason then the one they used. it just is a hard pill to swallow coming from the supposed value based school and company).
One could also argue that hershey the corp. has caused more damage to children then any other corp. Look at all the health issues that are linked to chocolate use. Most likley kills more people a year then weed.
And i guess the biggest reason to step up is at 13 does the kid get any other oppourtunities since hes been made out to feel like he can only fit in at the freak show.
volare
Senior Boarder

#121302 2 years, 8 months ago
i guess the real thing to think about is if this protest were to gain enough momentum to negatively affect the Hershey Corp. stock price which reduced the value of the school's endowment; who, in the end, will be hurt by that? Seems to me, regardless of your feelings about this single decision, if the school has less money to work with, they will be able to provide education to fewer underprivileged children in the future.

as for your other points about keeping large corporations in check and the overall health damage caused by Hershey's products, those may be interesting topics for another discussion but they are not germane to this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stricken, Strider1
stricken
Gold Boarder

#121305 2 years, 8 months ago
Volare you have some fine points in your logic but at times it takes a wild pitch to get a batters attention. Presure the company to get the schools attention sorta speak. And if nothing else the kid understands that there was some people did what they could and not watched the bus drive over him. Thanks for your input all.
volare
Senior Boarder

#121308 2 years, 8 months ago
I think we can both agree that it is horrible that this type of decision has to be made. I wish only good things for the young man and also want to send positive vibes to the school administrator who had to make the decision as I am sure it was not an easy one.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#121312 2 years, 8 months ago
Thank you. Never again Hershey's. My dad died of aids. That hurts thinking about what that boy feels like after them rejecting him. It's hard enough to live with HIV.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
stricken
Gold Boarder

#121323 2 years, 8 months ago
[quote="23atwell" post=121312]Thank you. Never again Hershey's. My dad died of aids. That hurts thinking about what that boy feels like after them rejecting him. It's hard enough to live with HIV.[/quote

Sorry for the loss of your dad hope you have fond memories to hold on to. And lets hope this kid has some too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds