• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

how does your garden grow part 2

#120678 2 years, 7 months ago
okay even tho its winter im chomping at the bit to get going,all the seed catalogs and emails dont help either.i just got the first of 3 books i ordered from amazon ."How to grow a year round organic garden" its great i devored it today its laid out in easy to read/follow plans the best part is shes from maine so shes used to the cold and grows veggies even when snow is on the ground,without an expensive greenhouse. cant wait to start putting some of the technique to work i m getting ready to start sowing seeds indoors under grow lights. anyone else getting the urge to start a veggie ,flower,fruit garden?
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, PMoondancer , scar1et_f1re
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: how does your garden grow part 2

#120687 2 years, 7 months ago
That's another benefit of no snow cover right now, I can see the perennial beds and start thinking about what I want to add or change this spring. I've got a couple areas that need some ground cover, and I need to move a hydrangea. It just feels good to think about it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, PMoondancer
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#120690 2 years, 7 months ago
i hear ya i got all kinds of plans racing around my head. we had a dustingof snow yesterday so today i got to see exactly what parts of the yard get the most sun by the way the snow melted ,this is going to aid in the placement of my beds.i got a small greenhouse at big lots for 70 bucks nothing too fancy just big enough to walk into and do seed trays on the shelves i think it will be great for hardening the indoor sprouts its got a pvc /plastic covering so not sure how durable its going to be but the framing and shelves look good i highly recomend the book above it was 13 bucks new from amazon,they go into great detail on the veggies too and how to rotate your crops andhow to have a continual harvest yearround etc they have several other peoples gardens in there too. one that i really like is " the zero mile organic garden" meaning your veggies have traveled zero miles from the farm,no gas used to transport them to the store etc talk about leaving no trace
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#120957 2 years, 7 months ago
heres a link to some useful info on starting your seeds if your like me you want spring to show its face soon www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardenin...amp;utm_medium=email
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#121040 2 years, 7 months ago
I am getting happy about my seeds too:)

I'll take a look at the link

We cut down some broken branches off the cherry tree, that's what we did in the garden this week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
Chester
More or less in line

#121045 2 years, 7 months ago
Well, the only thing in my garden right now, is my dormant strawberries. I wonder if this mild winter will affect them at all?
Usually, they start popping up on their own in late april.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#121056 2 years, 7 months ago
i want to try strawberries again i have some to plant i have some garlic in the ground underleaf clippings and i plante 4 cloves inside they sprouted and arefoot n a half tall parsly going strong chives are about to flower any tips for planting strawberries?
Chester
More or less in line

#121073 2 years, 7 months ago
Make sure you get a good hardy variety. I have mostly June bearing. They produce the biggest berries. And they are good in
northern climates. I have a few everbearing, but not as many as I used to. They are better in mid or southern climates. Get
them as plants. That's a lot easier than starting from seed. Once you get a good crop, they keep coming back, year after year.
You probably wont get a lot of berries the first year, as they are establishing roots. But after that, if you take care of them,
and outdoor pests don't get at them, you'll get bunches. They are a favorite of almost every type of critter I know. Rabbit's,
ground hogs, chipmunks, birds. (Especially robins). So plan to surround then with some kind of fence/barrier system. This past
year, I even covered the top, because my bird scare tactics wern't working. In the fall, you have to mulch them in. The mulch
acts as an insulator, and protects the roots from freezing. In the spring, uncover them, and pick off any dead leaves. Make sure
you keep them weeded, watered and some basic fertilizer once in a while. (usually right at the start of the season, and again
towards the end. They need full sun, and good drainage. And I would keep them away from any other plants. So you don't
spread anything like fungus or rot. They don't tolerate that very well. Be careful not to over water, and watch out for basic
pests like slugs. Hmm, I think that's it. If I think of anything else, I'll pass it on.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
DancingTurtle
Platinum Boarder

#121154 2 years, 7 months ago
It's almost time to plant.
I need nursery pots, organic soil, and seeds.
Then;

Let it grow, let it grow, greatly yield.

What shall we say, shall we call it by a name,
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin.
Water bright as the sky from which it came,
And the name is on the earth that takes it in.
We will not speak but stand inside the rain,
And listen to the thunder shouting I am! I am! I am! I am.

P.S. LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS
DONT LET ANEYONE KNOW YOU GROW UNLESS YOU REALY TRUST THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by DancingTurtle.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#121969 2 years, 7 months ago
www.burpee.com/fruit-plants/strawberry-p...oucangrowathome& thought id pass this along thanks for your tips too chester
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds