• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

Re: Lessons in music you were taught

#12166 3 years, 4 months ago
to maintain a good rhythm and don't blast out the other guys around you.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#12179 3 years, 4 months ago
George always tells us to "mix ourselves."
shoelesh
Junior Boarder

#12186 3 years, 4 months ago
know your theory , know your scale ..improvise adapt and over come .... the glories of the major vi ... cycle of 5ths and listen listen listen
deadforlife
Junior Boarder

#12187 3 years, 4 months ago
Shakin Nagan wrote:
Been thinking about the many lessons I have had about music. I am not speaking of lessons on how to use a musical instrument as the instrument is not the music but merely a tool to allow the music to play (and that is a lesson I learned from Victor Wooten's book "The Music Lesson") but lessons in how to allow the music to play through you.

The one I remember the most was taught to me by Garry Shider when I asked that I be turned up in the side fill. He told me, "If you can hear yourself, you're wrong."

What lessons have you learned?

Been playing for 35+years and about 20 in GD=based bands. not so sure I can agree with that one above---I mean, you DO have to be able to at least hear yourself as you try to be a part of the whole---kinda tough if you really do not hear yourself at all.

Once at a GD show I remember thinking that the best thing about the GD is that when they're really "ON" it's because they get out of the way and let the music play. I've always tried to do this as well, but, you do have to be able to hear the whole to be a part and vice-versa.

All the other "lessons" I agree with. Recently I've also been trying to not "play the changes"...meaning, I'm trying to just play the music in a flowing way rather than to "hit" the changes per se. Jazz players sometimes refer to this as playing "over the bar".....jeff C is a total bad-ass when it comes to this---ie listen to how he plays West LA---he rarely if ever actuially starts and ends phrases on the chord change.
living the dream
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#12209 3 years, 4 months ago
Of course you have to hear yourself. What Garry was talking about was hearing yourself at the expense of hearing everyone else. Being too loud.
deadforlife
Junior Boarder

#12244 3 years, 4 months ago
well-yeah, I can definitely agree with that.

I often play next to a great guitar player who LOVES his 30 year old Marshall---believe me, I do all I can just to hear myself sometimes, but I learned not to fight it.
living the dream
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds