• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

Re: Way to Go Calif Courts! FU Calif voters

#120547 2 years, 8 months ago
An interesting litttle tidbit from the LA Times: At teh Scotus level, there are 4 conservatives, there are 4 liberals and Justice Kennedy, who is conservative on some issues but on gay issues he leans liberal. This case involves, right now, only California. The 4 conservatives may decide not to take up the case, because likely Kennedy will write the majority opinion and may decide not only to find that the 9th circuit court is right- but take a much broader analysis and determine that ALL states prohibiting gay marriage are unconsitutional and stike all them down. Kennedy is just the person to do it, and the 4 other liberal justices will certainly take that view. Therefore, the 4 conservatives might rather just let California go it's way rather than take the chance of seeing the conservatives outvoted and gay marriage legalized across the entire country.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes. Surely the SCOTUS need not take up the case at all, and if so- the current ruling stands as final.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: Way to Go Calif Courts! FU Calif voters

#120594 2 years, 8 months ago
lostsailor wrote:
An interesting litttle tidbit from the LA Times: At teh Scotus level, there are 4 conservatives, there are 4 liberals and Justice Kennedy, who is conservative on some issues but on gay issues he leans liberal. This case involves, right now, only California. The 4 conservatives may decide not to take up the case, because likely Kennedy will write the majority opinion and may decide not only to find that the 9th circuit court is right- but take a much broader analysis and determine that ALL states prohibiting gay marriage are unconsitutional and stike all them down. Kennedy is just the person to do it, and the 4 other liberal justices will certainly take that view. Therefore, the 4 conservatives might rather just let California go it's way rather than take the chance of seeing the conservatives outvoted and gay marriage legalized across the entire country.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes. Surely the SCOTUS need not take up the case at all, and if so- the current ruling stands as final.

That is very interesting. And of course most US Supreme judges are not spring chickens, so there is turnover.

As you may know, supreme court justices are appointed by which ever president is in power at the time (subject to approval). It's highly political. So, if you think your vote does not count, think about this. I believe GWB was against gay marriage (based on the fact the he claims to be a religious zealout and he looks to god for guidance). I'm certain the same was true for Sarah Palin, when she was running for VP.

So if the wrong supreme court justice passes away while the wrong president is in power, you may very well say goodbye to the supreme court decisions going your way. If the vote is as close as the above tidbit appears, the appointment of one new judge may tip the balance of power from pro same sex marriage to against. Or the overturn of roe v wade - which blows my mind.

Us voters hold some power. Sure, it's not perfect. But it's much less corrupt than say the last Russian election which was allegedly rigged (shocker).

And I think Stricken hit the nail on the head when he said the problem is the (lack of) separation of power between the church and state. That still drives me crazy. There is a huge battle brewing there right now which is going to be very interesting the US has mandated some employers of catholic workers to provide birth control pills as part of their health care coverage. The church has said that nobody can tell them what to do if they are morally opposed. And they are not talking about the church itself, I believe they are already exempt from these rules. But the bigwigs of the Catholic church have been on a media campaign, and it looks like a showdown may be brewing.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds