• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

Re: Way to Go Calif Courts! FU Calif voters

#120134 2 years, 8 months ago
DancingTurtle wrote:
The time has come To talk of other things Of shoes and ships and sealing wax Of cabbages and kings And why the sea is boiling hot And whether pigs have wings Calloo-Callay No work today! We're cabbages and kings

That's the very attitude I'm talking about. Thanks for making my point.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#120153 2 years, 8 months ago
sayin that gays in west hollywood were too busy partying to vote, is kinda like sayin that the blakcs during the civil rights movement were too..fill in the blank..to vote. they are a minority. westhollywood is a minority in cali. we are a state of miniorities. focus on the ones from outside that are tryint to drive us apart. my point is until its as important to staights as it is too gays that gays get to marry it probably wont happen.
its just kinda riduculus people think of cali as this liberal place, but there are some very conservative people here too. and some of them arent against gay marriage. i dont know what to tell you. i mean i dont even know what the arguement against it is anymore.
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#120156 2 years, 8 months ago
The religious right which are by and large Repub./pro-life and not just the Mormans, had a lot to do with why this passed. The arguments are based on scripture and the word of god, oops capitol G. Basically they believe it's an abomination is the bottom line. Cal is pretty conservative with of course the obvious exceptions like San Diego, I'm kidding. My friend whom I can't believe we're friends sometimes because we are so different politically, religiously, heck on just about everything except for the act of riding waves, we have some pretty heated debates and one of the things he says is . . . I'm embarrased for him a little here. .okay more than a little, "Where is it going to stop, next thing you know bestiality is going to become the next new civil right." That is what we are up against here folks. This is not isolated thinking of a nut but the general consesus of most christian fundamentalists who are very mobilized and VOTE!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#120157 2 years, 8 months ago
All I can tell you was there was a huge outcry from the organizers that they couldn't get the people to mobilize. And AFTER they lost, they suddenly woke up. Maybe there are enough gays that don't care abotu marriage? But from a political science viewpoint (I have a BA in poli sci) it is noteworthy.

It's not that they weren't voting- it was that they didn't stand organize before it. They protested and closed down streets the day after. Not the day before. The day after was too late. That's just my observation.

But I agree Illum, there are plenty of conservatives in Cali....
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#120158 2 years, 8 months ago
illuminaughty wrote:
sayin that gays in west hollywood were too busy partying to vote, is kinda like sayin that the blakcs during the civil rights movement were too..fill in the blank..to vote. they are a minority. westhollywood is a minority in cali. we are a state of miniorities. focus on the ones from outside that are tryint to drive us apart. my point is until its as important to staights as it is too gays that gays get to marry it probably wont happen.
its just kinda riduculus people think of cali as this liberal place, but there are some very conservative people here too. and some of them arent against gay marriage. i dont know what to tell you. i mean i dont even know what the arguement against it is anymore.

I may be off when I stated Calif is Liberal. It's just an impression I have, not based on any real knowledge. Of course you cannot label an entire state.

I disagree that this is only important to gay people. These are human rights. We all have to fight for what's right. Below is the most powerful quote I've ever heard. And it rang true in the 1940's, and still we do not learn. I'm glad the courts did not make masses of human beings suffer - yes suffer. And for what, god told the majority of Cali voters hat being gay is wrong. Its the same crap I get, smoking weed will lead to heroin, raping, stealing......... More propaganda from ???? I don't know if they are ignorant, haters or perhaps in the closet (I hear some people in the closet are the biggest haters - go figure?).

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1, DancingTurtle
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#120162 2 years, 8 months ago
I always liked that quote, too. Did you know that Hitler practised his death chamber logistics by rounding up homosexuals first? Who cared about the homos back then?

I just read the decision on holding Prop 8 unconstitutional and it is a brilliant work. Articulates clearly why the state has no reason to limit a class of people's right to something that is of utmost importance in ur society- being allowed to marry someone. Let's hope it stands.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#120164 2 years, 8 months ago
The out of state LDS Mormon groups poured millions into the state. That's some of Romney's $20 mil per year he gives to the church to meddle in the affairs of other States.
The following user(s) said Thank You: illuminaughty
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#120186 2 years, 8 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
it shames me that some people who are gay are treated as second class citizens in this country.

I agree, We need to stop enabling Certain people's feelings of superiority by treating them Like second class citizens
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Little Bear.
pettyblue440
Junior Boarder

#120209 2 years, 8 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
illuminaughty wrote:
blame the mormons, they bankrolled that whole thing.
and blame the cali. non voters, cause most of us could give a fuck less who marries who.
seriously i have nuthin against mormons, but they dont like gay marriage. i live in cali, i xperience the shit first hand. there is very little hatret towards gays even in right wing religous groups. xcept mormans. seems they think if they let girls marry each other, they might not get 4 wives apeice.
so who do want to see obama destory in a debate, newt, or the morman? i feel sorry for newt already, his name is newt?!! i cant wait till we hear about all the skeletons in the other gguys closet(i cant remember his name, if you cant remember his name, you cant vote for em)

It surprised me that the voters approved the ban as Calif is overall a liberal state. Voter apathy makes a lot of sense.
This is why you need to register and vote in every election that you can. If you don't listen to me, listen to Bobby

"I think if people value democracy, they had damn well better get out and exercise their right to vote while their vote still means something."
-Bob Weir

why does my vote mean anything if an appointed judge can overturn an election?
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#120210 2 years, 8 months ago
pettyblue440 wrote:

"I think if people value democracy, they had damn well better get out and exercise their right to vote while their vote still means something."
-Bob Weir

why does my vote mean anything if an appointed judge can overturn an election?[/quote]

I hate to disagree with Bob, but I believe the time of our votes mattering has already come and gone. I have a very difficult time believing anything that happens post 9/11
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds