• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

Living in Containers

#120028 2 years, 7 months ago
ecopods.ca/ -small studio cost 15,000 all inclusive.

green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_green_news/8/...ontainer-houses.html

You can buy them for $1,500-$4,500 depending on size

Who has some land they don't need?

I can garden and train dogs, am a good cook. Have ablity to work in business, but would rather not.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: Living in Containers

#120031 2 years, 7 months ago
When we were in the Tampa Florida area last year in at least one part of town they were a lot of tiny shack like houses for sale for very little money. Many were listed for ~$20,000 or so, and that was asking price. Nothing fancy at all, but a place to live (and no wolf will blow that concrete house down).

But in today's day and age the thing to do if money is tight is to squat in someone elses foreclosed home. It's gotten so crazy the banks are discovering that some homes they've repossessed are now being rented by people who do not even own the home. A scammers delight. Why pay rent, be a squatter.

I love the warm weather. One day I hope to be goin where the climate suits my clothes.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Chester
More or less in line

#120047 2 years, 7 months ago
I actually think that's pretty cool. It would be perfect for a little get-away home someplace. I wouldn't want to live in it year around.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#120055 2 years, 7 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
When we were in the Tampa Florida area last year in at least one part of town they were a lot of tiny shack like houses for sale for very little money. Many were listed for ~$20,000 or so, and that was asking price. Nothing fancy at all, but a place to live (and no wolf will blow that concrete house down).

But in today's day and age the thing to do if money is tight is to squat in someone elses foreclosed home. It's gotten so crazy the banks are discovering that some homes they've repossessed are now being rented by people who do not even own the home. A scammers delight. Why pay rent, be a squatter.

I love the warm weather. One day I hope to be goin where the climate suits my clothes.

There was a news article about this- a family of 4 lost their home to foreclosure. They were homeless. They learned their old place was empty so they just moved back in. The bank is aware of it, but for political reasons and for the fact they are overwhelemd with other problems (like kicking others out of their places) they are just letting it go.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#120066 2 years, 7 months ago
lostsailor wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:

There was a news article about this- a family of 4 lost their home to foreclosure. They were homeless. They learned their old place was empty so they just moved back in. The bank is aware of it, but for political reasons and for the fact they are overwhelemd with other problems (like kicking others out of their places) they are just letting it go.

It's very common. Too much inventory for the banks to handle and when the houses are vacant in large numbers (which is the pattern) people gut them for copper wires and other valuables, so it's generally in the banks interest to allow the former owners to stay. This hopefully prevents the homes from being trashed.

DL1943
Junior Boarder

#120084 2 years, 7 months ago
those are fancy! i lived in a single, unmodified shipping container on my employers ranch this winter while working thru the fall season. a little cold because of the metal, needs a heater. otherwise not bad.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder

#120091 2 years, 7 months ago
DL1943 wrote:
those are fancy! i lived in a single, unmodified shipping container on my employers ranch this winter while working thru the fall season. a little cold because of the metal, needs a heater. otherwise not bad.

Sweet DL1943 yeah thats what I was kind of thinging. Making an "indoor" campground. You can get small wood burners for $200-$500. After that everthing else is a luxury (for me)

I am really looking into this as a viable idea for living. ***anyone have land near a trout or salmon stream?
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#120093 2 years, 7 months ago
Trying to think how one could insulate such a thing...I guess you could put that insulated plywood stuff on either the outside or inside (not sure how it would work with the metal as far as condensation goes). Very interesting though as I have been looking at prefab small buildings to make a get away in the nothern Maine mountain backcountry. This looks even better than most of those though.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder

#120122 2 years, 7 months ago
^^^

There must be a way to take those mulched recycled tires and press them into panels/otherwise I am sure just about any product would work.

I am realling liking these the more I learn, beats out the Yurt in my book.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#120125 2 years, 7 months ago
ecojaded wrote:
DL1943 wrote:

Sweet DL1943 yeah thats what I was kind of thinging. Making an "indoor" campground. You can get small wood burners for $200-$500. After that everthing else is a luxury (for me)

I am really looking into this as a viable idea for living. ***anyone have land near a trout or salmon stream?

I'll tell ya, after camping at Beaverwood Farm at the Bethel show this summer, I really think I want to retire in that region (the Catskills - NY). There is a "secret" gorge that's great for swimming and fishing nearby. And it's right on Swan Lake - a large lake -- with lots of fish and a beaver that was hanging out in the lake near me for quite a while. Plus loads of quiet woods which I find extremely relaxing.

You can probably buy land and a place to stay really cheap up there. Loads of foreclosures, the area is hurting economically.

Time to create page: 0.24 seconds