• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

Re: People who didn't see Jerry appreciation thread

#12028 3 years, 5 months ago
Thank you for this thread. Nothing better in my mind than dancing next to an older person at a show singing along with them and the smile on their face....
I love this band. My family has traveled hours to see a show, just like days of old.... I only wish we could get some venues that allow overnight camping like days before... My 4 year old daughter, whos fav Dead song is Friend of the devil was heart broken when we told her that Jerry was dead..
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Colorado Greg
Junior Boarder

#12029 3 years, 5 months ago
I can still remember finding out at the age of 5 that the Beatles had broken up, this was 1974 mind you, and being really upset! Also I can remember well being a teenager and in my early twenties and hanging out with older heads who I was jealous of on some level because they had seen all these shows before I crashed the scene in 85. What I realize now is that I was seeing a lot of great shows at the time, guess anything is different when you are living it vs. reminiscing. Hey Jerry would love this band, so for those who weren't around to catch him, this is a pretty close second. It is really nice to see all ages at shows, and yes lets pass the flame on to the next generation.
Light up or leave me alone!
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

#12046 3 years, 5 months ago
Lynx wrote:
Thank you! Your genuine love and enthusiasm for the music of the Grateful Dead brings a fresh energy and optimistic vibe to the scene and I, for one, love it. Your appreciation and respect for the music that has meant so much to us older folks makes me smile. Please don't let the negativity and cynicism of some erode your passion for you will be the ones to keep this scene alive far into the future. Thank you for that. I don't care what anyone says, you guys "get it". I've seen so myself.

(I'm sure trolls are climbing over each other to be first out from under the bridge... let 'em. You can't beat youth!)

I wish there were more folks like you around and not just in the scene but everyone this world would be better off .
You gave kind words and it helped .

Bravo
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

Re: People who didn't see Jerry appreciation threa

#12051 3 years, 5 months ago
The young shiny people who are there for the music make me happy. You rock, kids! Some advice from an elder: Avoid alcohol and nitrous. You'll have way more fun and so will those around you.
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by spinneresque108.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

Re: People who didn't see Jerry appreciation threa

#12052 3 years, 5 months ago
spinneresque108 wrote:
The young shiny people who are there for the music make me happy. You rock, kids! Some advice from an elder: Avoid alcohol and nitrous. You'll have way more fun and so will those around you.

Say No to hippy crack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba, Ima
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#12057 3 years, 5 months ago
Abba wrote:
Thank you for this thread. Nothing better in my mind than dancing next to an older person at a show singing along with them and the smile on their face....
I love this band. My family has traveled hours to see a show, just like days of old.... I only wish we could get some venues that allow overnight camping like days before... My 4 year old daughter, whos fav Dead song is Friend of the devil was heart broken when we told her that Jerry was dead..

I used to sing FOTD to my deadhead spawn when she was a baby. She turns 21 on Easter. We went to the Tower shows with her and had a great time.

Tell your daughter Jerry is still alive.... just like Santa Claus.....In fact, Jerry is Santa!

www.flickr.com/photos/zoooma/3123455298/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daisy Mae, Abba
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

#12058 3 years, 5 months ago
A few years ago, on another message board, I wrote a little thingamahooser about how I was never able to see Jerry and how over time I have come to accept and embrace that, simply because it allows me to push the thing I love forward into a new generation. Obviously not doing this all by myself, but rather as a new wave of GD fans and fanatics.

So I'm proud to say I never saw Jerry, not because I wouldn't have wanted to, but because I didn't have a choice. I was born when I was born, and that's it. Make do with what ya got, ya know?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
brobnsita
Junior Boarder
i'm in the world to change the world

#12073 3 years, 5 months ago
I was fortunate to have seen him once - the last time GD played at RFK in '95. I was in 10th grade and will NEVER forget it!!
laughin in her eyes, dancin in her feet
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#12075 3 years, 5 months ago
+1 to this thread...i sold my RCMH 3/25 extra for face to young fellow outside the venue for his first 'show' and he was blown away...came over at the end of the show hugged me and thanked me...pretty cool to make someone's night like that
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#12223 3 years, 5 months ago
onthebusin03 wrote:
A few years ago, on another message board, I wrote a little thingamahooser about how I was never able to see Jerry and how over time I have come to accept and embrace that, simply because it allows me to push the thing I love forward into a new generation. Obviously not doing this all by myself, but rather as a new wave of GD fans and fanatics.

So I'm proud to say I never saw Jerry, not because I wouldn't have wanted to, but because I didn't have a choice. I was born when I was born, and that's it. Make do with what ya got, ya know?

Didn't get to see Jerry and I'm ok with that...just wasn't my time. Our time is now!
This bus ride started for me in 2009. I went to a festival in ME called Be here now(didn't know what be here now was) with my wife and children. I had just been layed off from my job as a Apprentice lineman the day before. With all my worries about what we were going to do for money ect we decided to make the 6 hour trip and still attend the event. We had a mind expanding incredible weekend and started our trip back home...as I searched through my cd's for something to listen to on the ride home I found a burned cd and popped it in....3 dead songs with a mix of the beatles, Jefferson airplane ect. Back in CT we decide to start researching about the GD and find out that 2 of the original GD members started a band called Furthur with some John K kid and that band was to play in Wallingford CT( 1 hour away) in a few weeks.... Talk about being blown away just from that...we start telling everyone we know and one of our friends replies to our babbling by saying "I know, we bought tickets and can't make it...do you want them?" Miracled..first tickets....
that's when the bus came by and I got on
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds