• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Who is Cooking What for the Big Game?

#119062 2 years, 7 months ago
I'm making chili. After the way the Fabulous Fox Chili came out, I'm afraid it's become my specialty. I strive to make each batch the best ever.

I have a mix of black and pinto beans soaking right now, even as we speak.

Not going crazy with the hot spices just because it's the Super Bowl. Not making it just because it's the SB. I like to have it for the week.

The chili I make is very, very healthy. Very little salt, no fat, nice protein and vitamins. I like to eat it after practice, it's an excellent recovery meal, just add a little rice or whole grain pasta.

My secret is the tomato paste. I use more than most people do, and it makes all the difference. I like to use fresh peppers, jalapeno, green, chipotle, serrano sometimes. I use a lot of different spices, like 10 or 11, and I cook the beans to where they are soft. When the tomato paste hits your pallet, the spices combine and spread. Then it mixes with the soft beans, and forms several tastes. You have to let it sit on your pallet for a few seconds. It's multi layered.

All batches don't come out exactly as I had thought they would. And they all don't come out the same. I could wright it all down, actually measure the spices instead of eyeballing them, etc.... But this is how I have fun, why over do it?
They all come out very tasty and healthy, I consider myself more of a chef than a scientist.

So what ya'll got planned? jalapeno poppers, ribs, salty snacks...

Dish...
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Who is Cooking What for the Big Game?

#119063 2 years, 7 months ago
That sounds great, how about driving some up here?!
I love to cook, but there's way too much sports on for me to really concentrate tomorrow, plus I'll be out late tonight. So I'm gathering instead of cooking. Already got some locally made cherry-chocolate chunk sorbet and maple pecan gelato, good pimento cheese and crackers, and will be sending out my sports-hating better half to get us whatever take out will make him happy (probably hot wings or BBQ) while I watch basketball (early) and then every single second of Super Bowl coverage. I can't wait until tomorrow!!!!
paulr
Junior Boarder

#119066 2 years, 7 months ago
206976_219547331393324_100000141757014_1042039_1549962_n_2012-02-04.jpg

Not aure what Ms Heidi has in store but I plan to bake
The following user(s) said Thank You: stricken, SunshineSue
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#119067 2 years, 7 months ago
Well you go girl!! That sorbet sounds exquisite.

A nice pizza or some wings would be nice too.

If the stars align there will be chili for all at Wanee.

Glad you love sports that much, you have a big day coming tomorrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Little Bear, SunshineSue
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#119068 2 years, 7 months ago
Hi Jerry.
stricken
Gold Boarder

#119072 2 years, 7 months ago
Making chili here to. and probably geting some pulled pork from shakedown BBQ and a couple pigpens.(pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw on top) . there so good they melt in your mouth. Now im hungry.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#119078 2 years, 7 months ago
we always bust out the deep frier for the super bowl. We make tacos (not fried) and then fry up wings, nuggets, frys and sometimes different stuff with it (fried dough, onion rings or anything around that looks like it might be good fried.) I usually go buy a bunch of sauces which I still have to get a few but we made some homemade spicy bbq and are going to make some hawaian sauce and maybe honey bbq or something then I'll get some hot ones. The nuggets we bread up and make some with the sauces but they're good plain to. I want to look up a dry rubbed recipe to, just remembered about that...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#119081 2 years, 7 months ago
Damn, that sounds good.
Chester
More or less in line

#119082 2 years, 7 months ago
I want to go to MushroomMans house. He has the right idea. Anything that looks like it might be good fried!
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#119083 2 years, 7 months ago
I making pico de gallo for a appetizer. I hate buying salsa at stores. I like making it fresh. And in the morning my wife is going to make chicken tortilla soup. She puts all the stuff in a crock pot, and it's delicious. No fried food this weekend. I need lose about 6 pounds.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds