• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

At least 40 Egyptians dead after a soccer match

#118115 2 years, 7 months ago
You think we take our sports seriously? Remind me never to go to a soccer game outside the US. I suppose Canada is still safe, but that's about it.

40 killed in clashes after Egypt soccer match

CAIRO (AP) -- At least 40 Egyptians were killed Wednesday in violence following a soccer match in Port Said, when fans flooded the field seconds after a match against a rival team was over, Egypt's Health ministry said.

It was one of the worst incidents of sports violence in Egypt in decades. (comment by SF - what was worse than this?)

A security official and a medic said fans of the home team, Al-Masry, swarmed the field after a rare 3-1 win against Al-Ahly, Egypt's top team. They threw stones, fireworks, and bottles at the fans and injured some players.

A medic at a morgue in Port Said, a city on the Mediterranean coast, said some of the dead were security officers. He was speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.

The causes of the deaths were not immediately known.

The ministry's statement about 40 dead was carried on state TV.

The players were later taken to the locker room for protection, Sayed Hamdi, a player told state TV.

Soon after the violence, a soccer game in the Cairo Stadium between the Al-Ismailiya and Zamalek teams was called off in mourning for the violence in Port Said.

State TV showed video of sections of the Cairo stadium on fire. The announcer said angry fans of the Zamalek protested the cancellation and set some sections of the stadium on fire.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

Re: At least 40 Egyptians dead after a soccer match

#118118 2 years, 7 months ago
soccer in other countries really goes beyond the actual game though....its a testament to a country, their nationality, ethnic pride, past grievances and rivalries, many aspects of a country, region and people are represented by a soccer team and it's fans and with the state of egypt and the middle east right this is almost no surprise but upsetting none the less. no wonder it was the worst in decades think about the mental state of most of that countries citizens right now after all they have been through
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Dire Wolf.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#118119 2 years, 7 months ago
Chester
More or less in line

#118123 2 years, 7 months ago
That is really sad.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#118124 2 years, 7 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
soccer in other countries really goes beyond the actual game though....its a testament to a country, their nationality, ethnic pride, past grievances and rivalries, many aspects of a country, region and people are represented by a soccer team and it's fans and with the state of egypt and the middle east right this is almost no surprise but upsetting none the less. no wonder it was the worst in decades think about the mental state of most of that countries citizens right now after all they have been through

I know all too well, my wife is from Ecuador SA. Remember the somewhat recent world cup where the Braziilian player "accidentally" scored for the other team. It was not surprising to find him murdered shortly after the games.

I believe they call the trouble makers Hulligans (sp) in the UK / europe.

FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#118125 2 years, 7 months ago
Yikes!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

Re: At least 40 Egyptians dead after a soccer matc

#118181 2 years, 7 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Dire Wolf wrote:

I know all too well, my wife is from Ecuador SA. Remember the somewhat recent world cup where the Braziilian player "accidentally" scored for the other team. It was not surprising to find him murdered shortly after the games.

From Wikipedia:

1994: Andrés Escobar, a Colombian defender, scored an own goal that ultimately contributed to a 2–1 loss to the United States and his country's elimination from the 1994 FIFA World Cup. Escobar apparently became a scapegoat for Colombia's defeat, and his own goal is believed by many to be the motive for his murder just a couple of weeks later.

And I thought Hockey fans in Canada were fanatical.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: At least 40 Egyptians dead after a soccer matc

#118185 2 years, 7 months ago
jaredlang wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Dire Wolf wrote:

From Wikipedia:

1994: Andrés Escobar, a Colombian defender, scored an own goal that ultimately contributed to a 2–1 loss to the United States and his country's elimination from the 1994 FIFA World Cup. Escobar apparently became a scapegoat for Colombia's defeat, and his own goal is believed by many to be the motive for his murder just a couple of weeks later.

And I thought Hockey fans in Canada were fanatical.

Thanks Jared. I got my countries and dates a bit mixed up. By the way, in Egypt besides 73 + dead over a thousand people injured. I think a lot of the injuries were from people stampeding.

taper.tsquare
Visitor

#118205 2 years, 7 months ago
FurthurFlower67 wrote:
Yikes!

double yikes!!