• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
theuch24
Junior Boarder

Terrapin

#117628 2 years, 7 months ago
has the GD or furthur ever opened with it?! I mean put that song in any slot on the setlist and i still love it but does anybody know about them opening with it?!
I gotta get down, I gotta get down.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Terrapin

#117629 2 years, 7 months ago
the very first time it was played, for one...

www.archive.org/details/gd1977-02-26.sbd...deibert.83283.flac16
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
theuch24
Junior Boarder

#117630 2 years, 7 months ago
damn that's a damn good terrapin. along with a far out setlist
I gotta get down, I gotta get down.
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

#117659 2 years, 7 months ago
theuch24 wrote:
damn that's a damn good terrapin. along with a far out setlist

The Swing show is easily my top 3 for 1977 shows. The whole thing is sublime from start to finish.

I am not sure if another show ever opened with Terrapin since I do not have Deadbase - I am almost certain not. There are a few encores out there that come to mind. 6 shows in 1977 & 3.28.91 in Nassau. Terrapin opened the 2nd set on 8.31/85 - that may have been the only time.
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#117712 2 years, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
the very first time it was played, for one...

www.archive.org/details/gd1977-02-26.sbd...deibert.83283.flac16

I've always posed the question and have been curious, is it as powerful if you have never heard it before? Like 2-26-77 would Terrapin be as special without the context of knowing how great it is? I think yes, and I think if I were at a show and that were the first song played and I had never heard it before, I'd be hooked for life
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, Bakes, teafortexas
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#117716 2 years, 7 months ago
A quick (emphasis on quick) scan of Deadbase shows that they only opened with it that once, and closed with it once, 3/28/91. I know they opened a second set with it at least once, because I saw that at the 10/84 Worcester show. Doesn't matter where it is, though, it is always the best!
The following user(s) said Thank You: teafortexas
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#117719 2 years, 7 months ago
doin that rag--don't take this for fact but i am pretty sure george was there. if i remember correctly he said the crowd was buzzing over it and everybody was digging it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

#117725 2 years, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
doin that rag--don't take this for fact but i am pretty sure george was there. if i remember correctly he said the crowd was buzzing over it and everybody was digging it.

I know a guy who was at the Swing show and who made it to just about all of them in the Winter and Spring of 77. He said that he and his friends were taken back by the power of Terrapin and assigned it an instant classic tag. They were less impacted by Estimated but still enjoyed the funky vibe. He even said that it took a few months for them to discover the actual names of the song. For many touring during this time, those songs were referred to as: The Inspiration Song (Terrapin) and The California Song (Estimated).

My first Terrapin (like you care) came on 4.15.88 at The Rosemont Horizon (soon after my first ever show at the Joe Lewis Arena in Detroit, MI) and it was simply breath-taking.

www.archive.org/details/gd88-04-15.sbd.zei.2020.sbeok.shnf

They opened the show with Scarlett>Fire and people were completely freaking out! I had no context for what was going on but was soon swept up into the emotion and the fervor created by their level of play. The Terrapin that appeared later was absolute magic. That show propelled me on a 6-7 year quest to "....seeking all that is still unsung." It feels like yesterday and a lifetime ago: all at the same time.
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#117741 2 years, 7 months ago
teafortexas wrote:
My first Terrapin (like you care) came on 4.15.88 at The Rosemont Horizon (soon after my first ever show at the Joe Lewis Arena in Detroit, MI) and it was simply breath-taking.

www.archive.org/details/gd88-04-15.sbd.zei.2020.sbeok.shnf

They opened the show with Scarlett>Fire and people were completely freaking out! I had no context for what was going on but was soon swept up into the emotion and the fervor created by their level of play. The Terrapin that appeared later was absolute magic. That show propelled me on a 6-7 year quest to "....seeking all that is still unsung." It feels like yesterday and a lifetime ago: all at the same time.

That was indeed a great Terrapin, and a great run! I don't think breathtaking is an overstatement at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: teafortexas
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#117802 2 years, 7 months ago
teafortexas--you did the impossible. you put it into words, though for me a different time.

"....seeking all that is still unsung."

my spine is tingling
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds