R U Kind?

Magic Mushrooms for Depression? webMD

#116990 2 years, 8 months ago
From WebMD

blogs.webmd.com/breaking-news/2012/01/ma...-for-depression.html

Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Magic Mushrooms for Depression?

By Daniel J. DeNoon

Psilocybin — the psychedelic drug from magic mushrooms — is back in the news.

A study to be published this week suggests the drug improves people’s sense of wellbeing, and might be a useful treatment for clinical depression.

In the study, 10 volunteers looked at written cues that spurred memories linked to strong positive emotions. These memories were, as you might expect, far more vivid when the volunteers were given psilocybin than when they were given placebos.

Two weeks later, the volunteers who had the most vivid memories while on psilocybin had the greatest sense of wellbeing.

“Our findings support the idea that psilocybin facilitates access to personal memories and emotions,” Robin Carhart-Harris, PhD, the study’s lead author, said in a news release.

Earlier studies, some going back to the 1950s, suggest that psilocybin can reduce symptoms of depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and cluster headaches. The new findings support recent studies in which volunteers given psilocybin underwent long-lasting positive changes in personality and rated the experience as one of the most spiritually significant in their lives.

The new work is part of a renaissance in research into psychedelic — many now prefer the term “entheogenic” — drugs.

All of these studies are being done under close supervision. None support the illegal home use of psychedelic drugs — particularly new designer hallucinogens, such as bromodragonfly, that can be fatal in small doses.

“It is not a cure all. It is certainly a difficult experience. This is not something people are going to abuse and do all the time because it is not fun,” psychotherapist and psychedelic-research advocate Neal M. Goldsmith, PhD, recently told me.

Interestingly, Carhart-Harris and colleagues also used real-time brain imaging to see how psilocybin affects brain function. Using state-of-the-art equipment, they found that instead of exciting extra brain activity, the drug actually reduces brain activity.

The areas where brain activity is reduced are “hubs” that connect various parts of the brain. The findings suggest that psilocybin takes the brakes off of the mind, “enabling a state of unconstrained cognition.”

There is evidence that in depressed people, those brakes are slammed on particularly hard. This, Carhart-Harris and colleagues suggest, leads to an “overstable state” in which thinking is “rigidly pessimistic.”

Even in a controlled setting, the use of psilocybin and other psychedelic drugs can lead to intense bouts of anxiety and even panic. The benefits of psychedelic drugs are still unproved; their risks are real. This is an extreme example of “don’t try this at home.”
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, stricken, hastoloverush
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: Magic Mushrooms for Depression? webMD

#117010 2 years, 8 months ago
This nothing new. In the 1950s actor Cary Grant was given LSD as a treatment for depression.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#117018 2 years, 8 months ago
includedinthread.gif
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#117020 2 years, 8 months ago
while i am a lover of psychedelics, support their research in the medical and psychiatric field, and understand that everyones brain chemistry causes different reactions to drugs, ive gotta say...

if i took mushrooms while depressed, i would probably kill myself by the end of the night. WOuLD NOT WORK.

set and setting...
volare
Senior Boarder

#117034 2 years, 8 months ago
i don't think that the study is suggesting that mushrooms are an instant cure for feeling down/depressed at that moment but rather a long-term benefit for those who suffer from prolonged clinical depression.

I met a young woman recently who swears by psilocybin as the only thing which controls her cluster headaches....and she claims to take much less than a psychedelic dose, something in the .5-1g range every few weeks.
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#117038 2 years, 8 months ago
you'd be suprised how good a gram could work sometimes especially if your not used to bigger doses and don't do them often..... I know 1g was better then I expected this past wensday during the Ratdog reunion

I agree that they mean in the long run and not that being high on them takes the depression away but that they might make you feel different/better about life in general after the experience(s). I've read plenty of stories of people having breakthrough or life changing trips over at the shroomery and other places.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, scar1et_f1re
Jasper
Senior Boarder

#117040 2 years, 8 months ago
I seem to recall in some previous studies that Hallucinogens have been thought to be most helpful in use as a break thru to facilitate self reflection to help people with some mental health issues. That being said from a medical perspective depression vs bipolar and how folks cycle, it would be scary as shit to actually recommend this as a treatment. If you talk with mental health and primary care clinicians for the most part it is felt we know far less than what we want to about these illness. When you look at the effectiveness of many antidepressants they are not much better than a placebo and a talk with friends…..

You just won't get the drug companies to say that…….

So I suppose a mushroom and a Furthur show might be a scrip to write eh!!!

J
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Jasper. Reason: spelling
volare
Senior Boarder

#117058 2 years, 8 months ago
Jasper wrote:

So I suppose a mushroom and a Furthur show might be a scrip to write eh!!!

I agree that prescription anti-depressants are potentially problematic and should be avoided when possible (I am not a doctor, just basing that on my own experience )...but I would also recommend real caution to anyone who is considering self-medicating with psychedelics...
Chester
More or less in line

#117061 2 years, 8 months ago
Natural remedies are usually the best, IMO. I've always felt much better, after a magic experience.
It seems to clear out the cobwebs, and leaves me in a better, more creative mood.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re, will work for doses
volare
Senior Boarder

#117063 2 years, 8 months ago
this link has presumably been posted before, but, in case you aren't familiar, Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies website has tons of great info on the latest psychedelic research.
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds