• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

Re: Whateverv happened to all the old VW campers and

#117585 2 years, 7 months ago
Bilbo wrote:
PMoondancer wrote:
Our bus is a 1946 Chevy school bus with a 1964 Volkswagen bus on top. Traditionally and in part to honor our friend and bus guru Silverbear, the bus has been various shades and combinations of purple and green.
A brief history...
Jasper traded for the bus in the Jemez mountains in NM, in the very early 1980s, from a fellow named Hoot who made crystal wands. Hoot was using the bus as a cow shit composter.
Jasper took the bus home and cleaned it out and got it going.
He sold tie dyes and jewelry on tour with the GD. One year the bus was an official GD car, per Jerry as I understand. Another time, Ken gave Jasper original Furthur bus paint chips. My favorite of those is the one that says "Flash, Flash, Flash" in day glow:) both mementos are on the interior of the bus to this day.
Just before our marriage, a friend gave us the top half of the VW as a gift. He had found the 64 in a field near Garberville and got it running. The bus was cut in two with a saw zaw and lifted on top of the Chevy with trucker straps through the windows and a come along over an oak branch, etc and attatched.
In the movie tie died, one can see the interior in a raw renovation state, as tour came by and we got on before we finished.
After Jerry, we took the bus on extensive cross country tours with the DNB. One can also see glimses of the exterior and interior of the bus in those days in the film Hearts, Wires, and Magic available through www.nelsonband.com

We are nearly done with a 4 year long restoration of the bus. It looks really good so far, and we hope one day to bring the bus back on tour in some form. It's been great getting to share that journey with Y'all.

We were married on the bus, I conceived my son in the bus.

The bus has been a part of history, and I think will continue to be.

We Hope to see You one Fine Day

Much Love,
Paige

Paige, wow... So cool! Will your bus be at any shows this spring/summer or fall? It sounds like one of those vehicles

that has a

soul and will be around forever... The Love Bus

Some really cool bus and truck conversions can be seen in the book "Shelter" from the early 70's.

Yes, it is true, what you say about the bus:)

We will love taking the bus to shows and will start out close to home, so we will have to keep working to make that happen:)

Also check out Rolling Homes books too... Silverbear's bus is in the first book.

There are pictures of the work we have done on the bus in my bus gallery album in the connect section:)

( I think I will bump my Going Down the Road thread now;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#117594 2 years, 7 months ago
Tmglf2 wrote:
vwsurfari.smugmug.com/Vintage-Surfari-Wa...Qsk/1/21867805_T5xXP

here's someone who has created a business renting them in California. Great idea.

www.vwsurfari.com/thevdubs.html

Tmgfl2, whoa! Them some nice Dubs! Only saw one or two at the shows back when that were even close to being

that

nice. Usually they were road worn and limpy, but Loved! Used to be that it was almost mandatory to have a bunch

of

stickers on them, old and new. We finally figured out that the stickers were like a Dead giveaway that Heads were

rollin'

in there....which by the way gave way to ultra creative ways to stash stuff (Lucy)..in cassette tapes etc...LAF!

Wait! i still do that! Damn!!!!!
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Bilbo.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

Re: Whatever happened to all the old VW campers and

#117598 2 years, 7 months ago
furthur65samba.jpg

furthur65sambasticker.jpg

furthur65sambadriver.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , Tmglf2, Bilbo, Gr8fullBear, Strider1
Gr8fullBear
Junior Boarder

#117644 2 years, 7 months ago
Deva:
Beautiful bus! Thanks for the pics.
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#117688 2 years, 7 months ago
Deva, whoa! HOW did you know about the cassette secret? Awesome van....let's take a trip?

Side: where'd you find that thing?!! Thanks
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Bilbo.
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#117731 2 years, 7 months ago
I have been looking for a little chinook for awhile now just love em no need to get out to get in back small for stealth "camping" fit anwhere's, gas mileage, only downside is I don't think it could pull my zodiac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , DancingTurtle
Lost Sailor
Fresh Boarder
Brokedown Palace Show 9pm every sun.

#117870 2 years, 7 months ago
i remember when you could pick up an old micro bus for like $500 dollars or less. i had a number of them and each one of them was it's own story almost like a relationship with an animal or a woman...or a woman that acts like an animal ???
i bought my first one for like $250 and a sack of fun fungus from a friend of my uncle's. The van had already seen it's share of road and parking lots i'm sure. The windows were already covered with stickers. My uncle's friend was an old timer head with walls of tapes in his place. He was glad to pass it on to me; me being the young head that i was at the time.
i had already lived on tour before that but not in a van. i slept in the back seat of my car and the floors of dirty hotels during that time.
anyway, that old 1971 red vw camper van was a great rolling apartment and gave me lots of memories even until the day it died on the side of the hi way in kokomo indiana on the way to dear creek. the thing about it though was about 15 vw vans pulled over on the side of the hi way just outside of kokomo. the scene was picturesk. we guys were all huddled around the back of my van. the girls were picking wild flowers in the field along the road and the sun was setting. we declared my van dead because the healey coil i had already fitted that front left side spark plug with had worked its way out of the cylinder and nothing short of surgery was gonna bring that van back to life. it was a fitting funeral for such a noble stead and best friend ever.

thank you for bringing back that memory for me.
kafmradio.org Broke Down Place Show 9pm - 12AM
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , Bilbo
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#117886 2 years, 7 months ago
I was thinking the same thing about needing a pit crew. I had enough car troubles on my way to shows in my youth to more than justify driving a very dependable Toyota now. I don't think I'd handle missing a show due to a breakdown nearly as well now, either.
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingTurtle
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#117889 2 years, 7 months ago
Bilbo wrote:
Deva, whoa! HOW did you know about the cassette secret? Awesome van....let's take a trip?

Side: where'd you find that thing?!! Thanks

I wish I could say it was mine but I don't think the rag top of the Samba would do well here in Oregon.

It belongs to the McMenamin Brothers who are deadheads that have fixed up all kinds of historic properties throughout the NW and made them brewpubs combined with all or one of a music venues, movie theater, European style lodgings - very cool.
This was parked in an out of the way spot at a celebration for Jerry's last birthday at McMenamin's Edgefield. Check out the place if you are ever near Portland.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#117890 2 years, 7 months ago
Lost Sailor wrote:
i bought my first one for like $250 and a sack of fun fungus

I paid the exact same thing for my first bus!!
Time to create page: 5.13 seconds