Platinum Boarder

Re: Whateverv happened to all the old VW campers and

#117124 2 years, 7 months ago
Thats a good deal!
DancingTurtle
Platinum Boarder

#117125 2 years, 7 months ago
I forgot Im in California and everything is expensive.
I bet you can get better deals out of state.

Wait until that deal come round
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#117138 2 years, 7 months ago
I'm am actually on the hunt for a "new" old Westie right now. I've had two in the past. A 69 camper, and a 76 transporter. Both were magical vehicles. Good ones are pricey, but in my opinion worth every pennny. They won't get u anywhere fast, but at lest you will be enjoying the ride.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , Bilbo
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#117173 2 years, 7 months ago
Gr8fullBear wrote:
I agree that the school buses and micro-buses are sorely missed at shows. They were always a fun sight and usually fun transportation. I had several VW buses over the years, still have three: a 64 deluxe 15 window, 66 camper, and a 69 camper. The 69 was a daily driver for about 10 years. "Points, plugs, valves, and timming" - that was my mantra when the vw was my only transportation all those years - every 3500 miles with the oil change. Was never without extra points, fuel filter, voltage regulator, a hefty set of tools, and some old clothes that could handle the grease and oil of roadside repairs. These vehicles are classic and iconic but can be quite needy compared to more modern vehicles. I always enjoyed seeing all the buses in the lots and talking with other bus owners. I do think that old vw's have a worse reputation than they deserve in regards to their dependability. IF they are properly taken care of they can be very relible for many years. A lot of folks buy them without knowing anything about them or the needs of their old, basic engines. Not saying you have to be a certified mechanic but you do need some intermediate wrench skills or be prepared to spend a good bit paying others to take care of your vw. As for "what hapened to them" I believe age, wear and tear, and corrosion caught up to alot of them. I know that far too many of them have been crushed. Many of us dont have the time, cash, or inclination to make a 40 or 50 year old vehicle roadworthy again. Do a search on vw bus clubs/rallys if you want to see some nice buses. Visit a club meeting or campout if you feel like chatting.

Gr8tfulBear, you are so right about the basic maintenance part! After we got out first westie, a 72, we had to take the

crash

course on points, plugs condenser and valve clearance...which by the way got us down the road thousands of miles!

The book that really helped us and of which many a Vdub owner carried around

with oily pages and all was the "Idiots guide to how to keep you Volkswagon alive "... remember that with the cool

drawings

and road stories?....still have a copy of course in the hopes of some day finding and old split camper with minimal rust.

By the way...you interested in selling one of those?

But yeah, it was fun to walk around the lots and check out the different "homes". Some of the

old school buses were a trip to check out. There were quite a few with Vdub bus tops welded on top, another with a

big clear

dome glued on, another with

beds and a pot bellied stove...and, of course, the occasional sighting of FURTHUR which was a trip in itself to just to see

the thing.

Anyone have any pictures of their old school buses or Vdub campers or or or?
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Bilbo.
Gr8fullBear
Junior Boarder

#117300 2 years, 7 months ago
Yes, I remember the idiot's guide well - with dog-eared oily pages and duct tape over the binder. When I got my first bus (69 camper) I had never even changed wiper blades much less put a wrench to a vehicle. That poor bus had been sitting abandoned by some railroad tracks. It had no engine or windsheild, no title. Their was a girls name written on the back corner of the bus. She was the last known owner. Her last name was common but I went down the list in the phone book and finally found her. She says. "yeah i been waiting for this call for years. I've got the title and its all yours." We ended up doing a few shows together in her old bus. The mechanic I found to put the bus back together was only willing to do so if I agreed to buy some tools and let him show me how to perform a tune-up. That was his deal, no tune-up lesson no bus. That was a blessing as was the Idiot's Guide that he recomended. You mentioned the condensor and I believe that the guide recomended a new one every time the points were changed? This is one thing out of the guide that I steered away from. With vacuum advanced distributors being the biggest cause of fires in old vw's I switched the stock distributor to a Bosch .009 centrifigal advance distributor which was safer and rarely needed a new condensor. I HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS to anyone driving an air-cooled vw. Get rid of those dangerous vacuum advance distributors!!

LAZY DAZE CAMPGROUND was great! Many good memories... The Carowinds amusement park was fun too with the right frame of mind.
Gr8fullBear
Junior Boarder

#117301 2 years, 7 months ago
Is there any award for longest post of the day? My fingers are tired.
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#117338 2 years, 7 months ago
PMoondancer wrote:
Our bus is a 1946 Chevy school bus with a 1964 Volkswagen bus on top. Traditionally and in part to honor our friend and bus guru Silverbear, the bus has been various shades and combinations of purple and green.
A brief history...
Jasper traded for the bus in the Jemez mountains in NM, in the very early 1980s, from a fellow named Hoot who made crystal wands. Hoot was using the bus as a cow shit composter.
Jasper took the bus home and cleaned it out and got it going.
He sold tie dyes and jewelry on tour with the GD. One year the bus was an official GD car, per Jerry as I understand. Another time, Ken gave Jasper original Furthur bus paint chips. My favorite of those is the one that says "Flash, Flash, Flash" in day glow:) both mementos are on the interior of the bus to this day.
Just before our marriage, a friend gave us the top half of the VW as a gift. He had found the 64 in a field near Garberville and got it running. The bus was cut in two with a saw zaw and lifted on top of the Chevy with trucker straps through the windows and a come along over an oak branch, etc and attatched.
In the movie tie died, one can see the interior in a raw renovation state, as tour came by and we got on before we finished.
After Jerry, we took the bus on extensive cross country tours with the DNB. One can also see glimses of the exterior and interior of the bus in those days in the film Hearts, Wires, and Magic available through www.nelsonband.com

We are nearly done with a 4 year long restoration of the bus. It looks really good so far, and we hope one day to bring the bus back on tour in some form. It's been great getting to share that journey with Y'all.

We were married on the bus, I conceived my son in the bus.

The bus has been a part of history, and I think will continue to be.

We Hope to see You one Fine Day

Much Love,
Paige

Paige, wow... So cool! Will your bus be at any shows this spring/summer or fall? It sounds like one of those vehicles

that has a

soul and will be around forever... The Love Bus

Some really cool bus and truck conversions can be seen in the book "Shelter" from the early 70's.
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Bilbo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#117375 2 years, 7 months ago
When I lived in Germany (89-93) micro bus and westphals were a dime a dozen. At my work we used these olive drab micro pickiups and used to carrry lawnmowers in the back. My bus thesse days is a four door Jeep.
stricken
Gold Boarder

#117377 2 years, 7 months ago
with the tours being so spread out you would need a nascar pit crew to ride along to make it to next show these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruby_claire, PMoondancer , Bilbo
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#117413 2 years, 7 months ago
vwsurfari.smugmug.com/Vintage-Surfari-Wa...Qsk/1/21867805_T5xXP

here's someone who has created a business renting them in California. Great idea.
www.vwsurfari.com/thevdubs.html
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds