• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

Whatever happened to all the old VW campers and

#116957 2 years, 9 months ago
We were watching a few vids on YT that show some excellent lot scenes from the 80's etc. the other night.

Just wondering whatever became of all those cool old VW campers (of which we had one or two) that always had their tops

up at the shows? Used to be able to look out across the lots and see like hundreds of those things back in the day.

Also the awesome

school buses that used to roll in with VW bus tops welded on. People used to live in

those things! Anyone have any stories or pics of their old "road homes" of any kind? Just wonderin....

Broomfield bound!!! Peace
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Bilbo.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Whateverv happened to all the old VW campers and

#116959 2 years, 9 months ago
still see quite a few of the VW's. i love seeing ones that are slightly different than the norm. i've always wanted one but it's a magnet to police and law enforcement, something i just want zero part of. i like to carry a bag of grass on me. ain't happenini in the VW

people stil roll with buses. my buddy al had one on the last spring tour it was great. i was driving my subaru with george in tow but we hung out with them quite a bit. al, benny boy, LITTLE BEAR, shaggy, etc, etc

i remember one night idk where the fuck we were but we are passing this school bus and it's like 3 in the morning i was glowing like a candle who else could it be? eventually realized it was them, we were honking it was really funny.

ask paige moondancer about her bus, or look at the pictures....VERY COOL
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , Bilbo
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#116989 2 years, 9 months ago
I think they just got old and unable to make it on tour anymore. I've fondly longed for my '67 Dead Ahead bus many times and when I see the rare one for sale, they want a small fortune for it. They were fun travel vehicles and an iconic image of an era but if you are not intimately involved in VW mechanics, it was hard to keep them travel ready.

Some of my most memorable experiences were in that VW bus...good times...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#116992 2 years, 9 months ago
My buddy had one in the late 70s, I remember seeing the GD in Utica in Jan 79 and there was a huge snowstorm hitting at showtime with high winds, during the ride back to VT the wind was blowing our VW all over the thruway, quite scary.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#117004 2 years, 9 months ago
Our bus is a 1946 Chevy school bus with a 1964 Volkswagen bus on top. Traditionally and in part to honor our friend and bus guru Silverbear, the bus has been various shades and combinations of purple and green.
A brief history...
Jasper traded for the bus in the Jemez mountains in NM, in the very early 1980s, from a fellow named Hoot who made crystal wands. Hoot was using the bus as a cow shit composter.
Jasper took the bus home and cleaned it out and got it going.
He sold tie dyes and jewelry on tour with the GD. One year the bus was an official GD car, per Jerry as I understand. Another time, Ken gave Jasper original Furthur bus paint chips. My favorite of those is the one that says "Flash, Flash, Flash" in day glow:) both mementos are on the interior of the bus to this day.
Just before our marriage, a friend gave us the top half of the VW as a gift. He had found the 64 in a field near Garberville and got it running. The bus was cut in two with a saw zaw and lifted on top of the Chevy with trucker straps through the windows and a come along over an oak branch, etc and attatched.
In the movie tie died, one can see the interior in a raw renovation state, as tour came by and we got on before we finished.
After Jerry, we took the bus on extensive cross country tours with the DNB. One can also see glimses of the exterior and interior of the bus in those days in the film Hearts, Wires, and Magic available through www.nelsonband.com

We are nearly done with a 4 year long restoration of the bus. It looks really good so far, and we hope one day to bring the bus back on tour in some form. It's been great getting to share that journey with Y'all.

We were married on the bus, I conceived my son in the bus.

The bus has been a part of history, and I think will continue to be.

We Hope to see You one Fine Day

Much Love,
Paige
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Chester, Tmglf2, Bilbo, killwhyT, SunshineSue, Gr8fullBear, will work for doses
cletus1
Junior Boarder

#117024 2 years, 9 months ago
ive had a few school buses myself. two weeks ago i purchased a 1966 chevy bus, and we are working on making it 4wd and converting it to a diesel to run on veggie oil. the 4wd part will be great so we can take it to northern canada and alaska. hope to have it finished by next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , Bilbo, will work for doses
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#117030 2 years, 8 months ago
How are you going to do your conversion?
Gr8fullBear
Junior Boarder

#117035 2 years, 8 months ago
I agree that the school buses and micro-buses are sorely missed at shows. They were always a fun sight and usually fun transportation. I had several VW buses over the years, still have three: a 64 deluxe 15 window, 66 camper, and a 69 camper. The 69 was a daily driver for about 10 years. "Points, plugs, valves, and timming" - that was my mantra when the vw was my only transportation all those years - every 3500 miles with the oil change. Was never without extra points, fuel filter, voltage regulator, a hefty set of tools, and some old clothes that could handle the grease and oil of roadside repairs. These vehicles are classic and iconic but can be quite needy compared to more modern vehicles. I always enjoyed seeing all the buses in the lots and talking with other bus owners. I do think that old vw's have a worse reputation than they deserve in regards to their dependability. IF they are properly taken care of they can be very relible for many years. A lot of folks buy them without knowing anything about them or the needs of their old, basic engines. Not saying you have to be a certified mechanic but you do need some intermediate wrench skills or be prepared to spend a good bit paying others to take care of your vw. As for "what hapened to them" I believe age, wear and tear, and corrosion caught up to alot of them. I know that far too many of them have been crushed. Many of us dont have the time, cash, or inclination to make a 40 or 50 year old vehicle roadworthy again. Do a search on vw bus clubs/rallys if you want to see some nice buses. Visit a club meeting or campout if you feel like chatting.
DancingTurtle
Platinum Boarder

#117120 2 years, 8 months ago
Its all about the toyota motorhomes.
Dolphin, sunrader, winnebago, there all good as long as its has a toyota 22r engine!
Those little engines are tough I had a 1987 Toyota four runner with one.
It had over 300,000 miles on it and never did I have one problem!
VW's are cool little small for the same gas mileage as a toyota motorhome but it's still cool and nistalgic.
I would rather have a 1980's VW or even younger but they are to exspenive.
A good Toyota motorhome can be found for $3000 to $5000 and a good VW Westfalia can go for $5000 to $20,000.

going down the road feeling bad
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#117122 2 years, 8 months ago
depends on who you know. i got a 91 westie for 1000, ran great... course, i prefer my chevy nowadays
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds