• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Baby Bald Eagle Camera !

#331018 3 weeks, 6 days ago
Sending recovery vibes to the injured eagle today. They were planning to operate on it's wing this morning.
The prognosis for recovery is good. 3 to 4 weeks to heal. Another couple of weeks with limited movement.
And then it will be moved to the flight pens for full rehab. And so far the intention is to return it to the wild,
as soon as it's healthy enough. It wont return to the nest, but hopefully would stay in the area. That could
change, but for now everything looks good. It will just take awhile.
And another juvenile eagle has been spotted about a mile from the nest. It has not been positively identified,
as one of the Decorah juveniles, but it is likely. D20 remains on, or near the ground, by the fish hatchery, and
is being taken care of by mom and dad. That's todays report.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the highway terror, SunshineSue
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#331020 3 weeks, 6 days ago
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 6 days ago by the highway terror.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#331033 3 weeks, 6 days ago
Thanks for the report!! Boy, this batch of eaglets is sure causing some excitement in every way possible. Hope they all continue to hang in there!!
Chester
More or less in line

#331037 3 weeks, 6 days ago
Update; They have postponed todays surgery to give the juvenile eagle more time to build up strength. It's wing is wrapped,
and they are still treating it with strong anti-biotics. Another wound was found near the tail, and that is also being treated for
possible infection. It's being hand fed, and is responding well. It is believed that since it is already past the "imprinting" stage,
that it wont "bond" with it's human rescuers, and will likely be successfully reintegrated into the wild.

They released a copy of the XRay.

EXray.jpg
Chester
More or less in line

#331077 3 weeks, 6 days ago
Looks like this may be the missing juvenile. Spotted about a mile away from the nest.

Eagle3.jpg

It's been seen flying, and looks healthy. It's either being fed by the parents, or has begun hunting.
This may be D18. The oldest of the three. Cautiously optimistic, all juveniles are accounted for.
Chester
More or less in line

#331123 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Ok, related to what I was trying to figure out yesterday, and I can only go on what they report, it turns out the juvenile
that had trouble flying, but was otherwise healthy, and was fitted with a transmitter and released, was actually D19.
The injured juvenile, with the broken wing, apparently is D20, the youngest. The only one I guessed correctly, was D18,
the one on the woodpile. And the oldest of the 3 juveniles. Who's picture I posted yesterday.
Glad we got that figured out.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder

#331126 3 weeks, 5 days ago
I'd feel a lot better if I saw something in the nest.
it's been empty for at least a week, it seems like it's been abandoned.
Chester
More or less in line

#331132 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Can't copy and paste at all in this thread anymore.

Ok, "Bob" is the rep from RRP, that has been the main contact, and is authorized to handle the eagles.
He's been trying to keep track of the situation. He went looking for both D18 and D19 today. he found
both. D18 appears to be still doing well. D19, the one with the transmitter, was found about a mile from
the nest, and was still on the ground. Bob threw it some food, and will check on it as often as he can.
He commented that it was dangerous for it to be still on the ground, as it could more easily be attacked
by predators. He's hoping it at least will find a way to roost in the tree's at night. And he commented that
it seemed odd that neither of the two have been seen near the nest, and even appear to be moving away
It seems like that's a bit unusual at this time. But it has been an unusual year.
The cams will remain on through mid july. I remember last year, after the juveniles fledged, they all stayed
in the tree near mom and dad, over by the old nest. It was really the only time we could watch them close,
as they didn't have the camera on the new nest yet. So it is strange to have no Juveniles hanging out with
mom and dad. We know one is injured, but what's up with the other two? Maybe the fledge was traumatic.
Hard to say at this point. I'll try and post any relevant updates.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the highway terror, lightchaser, SunshineSue, countingstars
Chester
More or less in line

#331172 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Some more photo's. All from yesterday. Thanks to Frank Ermel for sharing them.

D18 on it's woodpile.
D18-1.jpg

D18 defending it's woodpile.
D18-2.jpg

D19, with it's newly attached transmitter. And unfortunately, still being tormented by the nasty gnats.
D19.jpg

Mom and dad in the tree, near the original nest. Beautiful picture.
MDEagles.jpg
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Chester.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the highway terror, lightchaser, SunshineSue
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder

#331211 3 weeks, 4 days ago
day after day an empty nest.

guess i'll just keep hoping for the best.
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds