• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Baby Bald Eagle Camera !

#330786 4 months ago
No other news yet. The nest looks very empty. Hoping for the best.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the highway terror, SunshineSue
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#330788 4 months ago
I hate hearing that
If the wings is broken the Eaglet will end up in a zoo, there's no way they'll be able to release it after it heals

({({({({({Eaglet)})})})})}

www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Last Edit: 4 months ago by the highway terror.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Chester
More or less in line

#330794 3 months, 4 weeks ago
There are now reports being posted on the RRP FB page, that Dad Eagle, has fed the eagle that was released earlier today
at the fish hatchery. That is great news. The eaglet is uninjured, and is being taken care of by it's parents. But for the time
being, is still on the ground. There are no new reports of the condition of the other eaglet that was found near the barn
today, with a broken wing. All we know is that it's alive, and has been taken to a facility for treatment. And, one eaglet is still
unaccounted for. So, everybody is just waiting for news.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the highway terror
Chester
More or less in line

#330795 3 months, 4 weeks ago
Ok, somebody just posted cell phone pictures, of the rescue of the injured bird. The one that was taken in for treatment.
So I'm going to share those. Kind of sad, how things went bad so fast. But that's the way it is in the wild.

From earlier today. They put a hood over it's head to help keep it calm.
Chester
More or less in line

#330798 3 months, 4 weeks ago
This full report was posted about 5 minutes ago, on the RRP FaceBook page;
Raptor Resource Project
"What's going on in Decorah?" we're getting asked. Some answers.

Yesterday, Bob received a call from the Decorah police that an eaglet was down on Trout Road. When he arrived, the eaglet responded by scrambling instead of flying. Concerned that it wasn't flying, Bob captured the eaglet and held it overnight in his mews for a health assessment. It ate a full three quail prior to release, indicating that its primary problem might have been hunger-related weakness. After watching the eaglet flap in the mews this morning, Bob concluded that it was not only healthy, it was strong enough for a transmitter. The transmittered eaglet was released around 10:30am this morning. It was able to fly to some bricks about 3-1/2 feet off the ground, where it stayed until Dad came to feed it this afternoon. Bob has spent most of the day at the hatchery observing the eagles and talking with visitors. Judging from photos (which we hope to have for you shortly!), we believe this eaglet was D20.

While at the hatchery releasing the first eaglet, Bob got word that an eaglet was downed on an island in the stream near the horse barn. He waded through the stream and was able to capture the eaglet, which had a broken wing. Fortunately, a SOAR volunteer was on hand. SOAR, or Saving Our Avian Resources, is an Iowa nonprofit dedicated to saving Iowa's avian resources through raptor rehabilitation, education, and research. We have transferred lead-poisoned and injured birds to them for the past couple of years. We are currently waiting for a report from Kay on the second eaglet.

We've had a lot of questions about whether or not gnats influenced an early fledge. While the fledge wasn't all that much earlier than it was in other years, there is no doubt the gnats were bad. Still, we think the terrible weather might have played a larger role in post-fledging events, given that there was an all-day rain and severe flooding along Trout Creek following the hatch of D18 and D19.

Interesting that they chose this chance to fit one with a transmitter. They were going to at some point anyway.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#330799 3 months, 4 weeks ago
I'm so relieved that Dad came down to feed the one that was released!! That has to be a very good thing. Now, let's hope that the pros can rehab the one with the broken wing.

((((((EAGLE HEALING))))))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, the highway terror
Chester
More or less in line

#330845 3 months, 4 weeks ago
Tried to copy and paste an update twice, that didn't work.

Here's todays update;
D20, which has been determined to be female, is doing good. Still not flying, but hopping up on a low wall near
the fish hatchery. Mom and dad have both found her, and dad has been feeding her. They are still keeping a
close eye on them, but from a distance.

The injured Eaglet is doing as well as can be expected. They believe it has a fractured humerus. But wont be sure until
they can XRay it. Which should be today. They are feeding it, and forcing fluids, and it's responding well. They noted
it had many bites from insects around the eyes. (From the gnats,)

Still no sign of the other juvenile. It usually wouldn't go too far away from the nest, as mom and dad will still feed it,
for awhile. But it may be somewhere nearby, and we just can't see it. (Hopefully).
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#330849 3 months, 4 weeks ago
I was thinking that there was a severe gnat problem a few times this spring.
the hi-def cameras show how the eaglets are getting bugged , always shaking their heads trying to get away from them.
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Chester
More or less in line

#330881 3 months, 4 weeks ago
Ok, not having luck with copying and pasting today.

The latest report on the injured Decorah juvenile eagle, after XRays, it was determined to have an oblique humerus fracture.
They are going to operate on wednesday, to insert a pin. So, maybe send the eagle a few recovery vibes on wednesday.
They are feeding it, and have treated it with antibiotics to help with any infections related to the injury, or the bug bites.
Prognosis for recovery is good. It still remains to be seen if it can be returned to the wild, but at least it is responding well to
treatment.

Nothing new on D20. So far so good. And no word on the other eagle as of tonight. It may very well be nearby, and we
just can't see it, or the parents on the camera.

Here's close up with the staff at S.O.A.R.

DecorahEagle.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#330885 3 months, 4 weeks ago
It's amazing how big they look in these pictures, with some perspective, versus how they look in the nest! That's wonderful that there's a network of resources out there that can respond and help in a situation like this. Here's hoping for a good outcome for the whole family!!
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds