• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jbyerly
Junior Boarder

It's always been about the music

#11671 3 years, 6 months ago
reading some posts on the "Tales from the golden road" FB page got me thinking. I got on the bus in 1984 and immediately was hooked. For me it was always about staking out my place (general admission seats) and revving up for having my face melted. Through out 33 shows I saw i was blessed to have been given one new song every show that I had not seen. For the first couple of years I never got the whole parking lot scene. I did not know but a few people from New Hampshire and we were self sufficient in having a supply of goodies for the shows. It was not till about 1986 that I "got" shakedown street because I had trashed my dies and need a new one. I always remembered how when I first started touring that there was the group who would talk about how sick the show was and then those who would talk about the pre-show and the people. I always said to myself. they don't get it. Of those 33 show I only took mind altering substances about 7 times and chose to stick with smoking greens.

Now years later and 2 Furthur shows, I start reading and hearing about those who are choosing to talk during show about crap. I attend N. Charleston and just was blown away with how great it really is and i have to gets me some more of this. For the first two songs I had to put up with a girl who would not shut up and I said to myself "they just don't get it" I've got my two tickets for NC & SC summer tour and just hope I don't end up next to a blabber mouth there.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!
Philzone Phan
The following user(s) said Thank You: lastleaffallen, the highway terror
lastleaffallen
Junior Boarder
mindmelt

Re: It's always been about the music

#11675 3 years, 6 months ago
excellent post. Thanks for that. Hope to meet you at either of those shows (not a talker ). Charleston was pretty bad for it. Unfortunately they are at every show. I find myself saying the same thing you said to yourself and cupping my ears most of the show. Oh well. At least I'm there
", two eagles hang against a cloud."
Lynx
Visitor

#11690 3 years, 6 months ago
At a recent show there was these two girls behind me who wouldn't shut up. They were both on their cell phones the entire first set and that is not an exaggeration... the ENTIRE first set. The loudest of the two was talking to someone in the balcony (we were on the lower level). I kept hearing "What? What?" because obviously she was having trouble hearing with all that music going on.

After first set I asked her as politely as I could if she was going to be on the phone all night and she spit at me, hitting me in the arm, and then proceeded rant about how her boyfriend got arrested at Phish show and she was trying to figure out how to get him out of jail so I should mind my own business. I said, trying to be diplomatic, "That's terrible but perhaps a concert isn't the ideal place to deal with a serious issue like that. Besides other people are trying to enjoy the music." She said "I'm at a fucking Dead show I can do whatever I want." I didn't that was how it worked at shows.

When second set started she and her friend began talking again, much louder this time, and the topic of conversation was about how they were trying to annoy the guy in front of them.

I eventually moved because I could see that other people in our area were having trouble enjoying the show bc of these girl's attempts to annoy me and so I figured I'd move, even though it killed me to let them win, because I knew it was for the greater good. So I went to the location where I had been the previous night and there were some really cool people there. I wasn't dancing there more than 5 minutes before someone asked me if I wanted doses. I said "I'd love to but I ain't got any money." He laughed and said "I'm not selling you doses, I'm giving them to you!" I had such a fun time. So, in case you are reading this ladies....

THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME MOVE!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by .
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#11694 3 years, 6 months ago
"She said "I'm at a fucking Dead show I can do whatever I want." I didn't that was how it worked shows."idiots like that deserve to get tossed out into the lobby at least , street would be better ,but im trying to be nice,as far as spitting on you that qualifys as assualt i would have gotten the security,who knows whats in skank spit,glad it worked out for you in a postive way
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Lynx
Visitor

#11697 3 years, 6 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
"She said "I'm at a fucking Dead show I can do whatever I want." I didn't that was how it worked shows."idiots like that deserve to get tossed out into the lobby at least , street would be better ,but im trying to be nice,as far as spitting on you that qualifys as assualt i would have gotten the security,who knows whats in skank spit,glad it worked out for you in a postive way

To be honest this girl was probably a little less than half my age, and while not the hottest thing in the world, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers. So having her get all hot and flustered and spit on me made me tingle in all the right places.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#11723 3 years, 6 months ago
I can't stand people that go to shows and arn't into the music, this is why I don't mind paying high ticket prices - the cheaper the seats, the more drunk people you get talking through the whole show (at least thats how I always seen it).

That sucks with those girls, at least you were able to move.....its the worst when its not GA and you can't move and you got a bunch of idiots around you.
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#11740 3 years, 6 months ago
I actually notice this much more at shows with assigned seats, especially when I've got a good one.

There are always the people who paid a shit load of money for really great seats who don't get it and think that they will figure it out simply by being close and watching the band. These people are quite possesive of their seat space, often rude, loud and negative.

I prefer GA shows and always have, they are much more democratic. I also have a notion that GA shows might keep ticket scalpers at bay ,as there just isn't the margin of profit on a ticket that simply lets you in.
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#11742 3 years, 6 months ago
GA is more fun when your young i believe as you get older the idea of having a place to sitin between songs and break becomes more appealing especially if you got health problems.i enjoyed some ga shows in my youth but they almost always wound up with people having no respect for those who arrived earlier and had a spot up front all ready after getting crushed against the boards more than oncei stopped trying to be in front enjoy it while ya can ruby
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
lastleaffallen
Junior Boarder
mindmelt

#11744 3 years, 6 months ago
ruby_claire wrote:
I actually notice this much more at shows with assigned seats, especially when I've got a good one.

There are always the people who paid a shit load of money for really great seats who don't get it and think that they will figure it out simply by being close and watching the band. These people are quite possesive of their seat space, often rude, loud and negative.

wow I've had the same experience. Often also turning around to talk to you during the show, trying to get your attention. WTF? Had this happen in Chicago (best seats I've ever had). I just stared at Ace & Phil all night with the occasional glance to JC & JK (bc other 3 were in view of course). I suppose I usually refrain from saying anything because of said things that've happened to you all, but in Charleston this kid got to me. Clapping loudly in my ear on purpose and clearly off beat. Same thing, got worse after I said something. He wasn't in his seats... I'll just never understand
", two eagles hang against a cloud."
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

#11814 3 years, 6 months ago
I started a thread about this here some time back, it was one of the early threads, called "Campaign: listen to the music and be quiet!" Maybe not the best title but I was so distraught over how bad this problem has become. It was really bad in the later GD days but it is even worse now. People just blah blah loudly about all kinds of things *while the band is playing.* Yes, it definitely seems alcohol related.

At GD shows I also would first find a spot with the best sound, and I do the same today. That's what I look for when I get inside the show. The good sound is harder to find nowadays, as is a crowd around you who is listening to the music.

It helps to seek out the dancing people if there is a group of them. Unfortunately sometimes there is only space to dance where the sound is not great.
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds