• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

Re: Random questions/thoughts @3AM...

#116927 2 years, 7 months ago
My number is 500 K...I would put it in the bank and spend my days in a park listening to the birds chirp while talking to Telinski.
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#116929 2 years, 7 months ago
I change my answer to a lot of money. Whether I live simply or not, more us better.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Bakes.
Phred
Senior Boarder

#117165 2 years, 7 months ago
I guess what I was getting at more was ... how much money is obscene wealth? I mean Mitt Romney released his tax returns showing he has upwards of 250 million dollars. To me, that is FAR more than any one person actually needs, and at some point one needs to step back and assess the whys and wherefores of wealth accumulation. Both Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have done so and are taking steps to distribute significant portions of their wealth (over half their net worth) to charities. I'm no fan of Bill Gates, but I do admire the steps he is taking on this front. It certainly seems much more noble than stashing it away in cryptic bank accounts in the Cayman Islands and Switzerland...
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#117217 2 years, 7 months ago
i think a lot of it has to do with posterity
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#117251 2 years, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
i would buy an RV and live on the road. invest most of the money and have one nice fat ass checking account to live off of.

You're thinking the way I'm thinking. I'd have the fattest ass RV and just move around. Basically wherever Phil, Bobby, Billy, Mickey go.

We live modestly but I do hoard money. Every year I up my 401k. I'd rather live modestly and NEVER EVER work than have a bunch of toys I'm trying to pay off. I'd just love to travel around in the RV and not have to worry about getting back "home" by a certain date. You know what I mean? That's kind of hard to do with a 7 year old. But I'm not rich yet anyways!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
volare
Senior Boarder

#117306 2 years, 7 months ago
I think we are encultured to imagine that a windfall of money would have a much greater impact on our happiness than it actually does. My income level has risen steadily throughout my adult life, but when I really think about it, I am not more content or happy now than I was when I was getting by on much less.

A lottery win seems like it would be fantastic, but I suspect that it would be an initial thrill then one would acclimate and return to the same level of happiness that they enjoyed (or didn't) prior to the jackpot. Or, it could even get worse try googling "lottery and depression"
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#117308 2 years, 7 months ago
the pay was pathetic.

random thought....saying the word pussycat or pussy willow makes me feel uncomfortable. so i just say the word willow or cat. the word kitty cat sounds wierd when a grown man like myself is saying it , but i like that word too. kitty cat. here kitty.
i will call a grown cat kitty. And a grown dog puppy dog. And vise versa. I will call a puppy dog my big boy. And A little kitty my big strong tiger. mostly for dogs ill say here boy or here girl. and cats its usually here kitty. I just call my cat by name, here Sox
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#117309 2 years, 7 months ago
splatter_face wrote:
My number is 500 K...I would put it in the bank and spend my days in a park listening to the birds chirp while talking to Telinski.

Telenski is the best friend a sane man can have, he'll never let you down. He is the kindest and most helpful friend to have. Can i chill with you in the park if i have my own 500K ? Match u bowl for bowl. ?
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#117419 2 years, 7 months ago
Sometimes at night, I think I understand...........

Way late at night, what it feels to understand.....

While money is not terribly important in my life per se, I'd have to say my magic number is somewhere in the broad range of $500,000 -- $6 million. $6 million not realistic and more than I would need. $500,000 kind of low. But all I need when I retire is a good sound system, nice open land (hopefully near a lake) and peace and quiet. Oh, a weed plantation wouldn't suck

"Problem" with even $1 million is you can't live off the interest any more. But I'd be happy to make a go at it.

I forget who, but either Mitt or Newt recently said "I only earned $330,000 for that speaking engagement, not really a lot of money". Sort of out of touch with the real world, at least the real world as I know it.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phred
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#117424 2 years, 7 months ago
I agree with those that see happiness as detached from the amount of money one has. The more money you have the more your "lifestyle" becomes more expensive, but you always have a lifestyle. I do know that the more I focus on making money the less happy I am. Maybe having lots means you don't have to focus on it but it doesn't seem that way. It seems that those with lots of money seem to obsess with getting more.

Also, I am pretty sure you can live off the interest on $1 mil. 10% return gives you $100,000 for ever, and you don't need even half that much to live very comfortably.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds