• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
smokey5406
Fresh Boarder

Re: The Core Four, Chimenti, JK, and The Backups

#11641 3 years, 6 months ago
IMO, I thought the worst thing about the last dead tour was the drumming. That being said, Joe Russo is a machine and doesnt need another drummer and I think he has proven that. Dont get me wrong I love billy and mickey but there drumming these days isnt what it used to be.
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

#11648 3 years, 6 months ago
The quote recently from Bobby about a possible Dead reunion basically says it all. Paraphrasing, it basically reads "Yeah, we probably will get back to it, but it'll be a walk down memory lane, and for the fans."

I saw 0 shows on 2009 Dead tour and don't regret it for a second. Warren is a tremendous talent, but within the context of The Dead absolutely did not do it for me, and I found the music to be generally uninspired and at times very sloppy.

To me, The Dead is akin to having a car with four steering wheels, four brake pedals, and four gas pedals... How well do you think that car drives?

Whatever makes them happy, and all that, but I think another tour of $100 tickets would easily put me on the sideline again, and that's fine. It's not my decision, that's for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack Jones
GrayFolded
Junior Boarder
PhilDropsBombs

#11652 3 years, 6 months ago
I'm sure i will have rocks thrown at me, but Billy and Mickey sounded tired and bored about 5 shows into Dead 2009...I thought Mickey on Percussion (instead of a kit) was a great addition but Billy just sounded really bored with them...
I hate to say it, but they seemed to get worse as Tour went on...

And 2nd Set Drums got really boring as the Tour went on, it was just so predictable (just like the 80's and 90's) where the set was going about 2 songs in...

I was sad when Jay Lane left the band and was hoping that Molo would have become the 2nd drummer, but Russo is really coming into his own right now and the music is sounding really tight...
LeshPhilingBassGreat
amazish
Junior Boarder

#11656 3 years, 6 months ago
I like Russo's playing. I think he's great. [I'm a drummer. I played with Phil at the Phil Lesh University event].

Billy was "the best" because of his ability to meld with the song, jam and Jerry's playing. The music became one in those days. The advantage of growing together musically! [Any show in June 74 for reference] I guess that's in the past now.

Russo's take on the music is really good considering how new at this he is. I prefer his playing to Molo [another great drummer], I like his improvisation better and he is more diverse.

As for Billy being bored, maybe it's because of the reasons I wrote on in my previous post... He's looking for a different approach maybe
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#11657 3 years, 6 months ago
Leave it alone!

The band sounds great, they have great chemistry! A band isn't just the ablitlities of it's individual members, it's how they are together. This combination really gels.
Whoever said that Jeff C. shoud be replaced is nuts, he's truly amazing!!
Bruce Hornsby, who is great in his own right, didn't ever really flow w/ the band IMHO, his playing was way too distinct and individualized, as opposed to being able to meld with the whole.
..And Joe is a monster
...And Jeff P. and Sunshine add true beauty to vocals that, lets be honest, have sometimes been a weak area for the band.

Some people are never happy.

I am making it known that I am very haaaaapy! Don't fix what ain't broke.

standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by ruby_claire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack Jones, amazish
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#11664 3 years, 6 months ago
Okie is never happy. Add BK.

The young kids would love this.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#11666 3 years, 6 months ago
I'd prefer billy and russo over billy and mickey personally. Biggest issue with this band imo is the poor vocal mix and JK's guitar needs to be louder in the mix and drive the music more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UnlimitedDevotee
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

#11677 3 years, 6 months ago
Has Billy ever played with Russo? If not, I'm having a hard time forming an opinion of that tandem...
TheMissingDigit
Fresh Boarder

#11698 3 years, 6 months ago
It's all personal opinion but Russo is a beast. I spend a good part of shows watching him alone. I like Billly but but no thanks. I really grew to to dislike the sound of Mickey and Billy's kits too. Almost too muffled. The drum sound could have been a byproduct of paying bigger venues I guess. Keep the Furthur as it is. IMHO.
Okie
Junior Boarder
I Miss Jerry.

#11791 3 years, 6 months ago
Cornjulio wrote:
Okie is never happy. Add BK.

The young kids would love this.

I am happy with the current lineup and what they are putting out.

All I am saying is I would like to see the Rythym Devils play with Bob and Phil and JK, Chimenti and the backups before it's all said and done. In my opinion that would be a great lineup as well. I like what JK brings to the table and as much as some people say he's too much like Jerry and it's weird blah blah blah...I think it would be the best post Jerry lineup yet. Billy and Mickey are The Grateful Dead...so easily some people forget.
"In the land of the dark, the ship of the sun is driven by the Grateful Dead"
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds