• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
gvanman
Platinum Boarder

Miracle Granted/Forum booth at shows

#115386 2 years, 9 months ago
Hi, my name is Glenn and this midwest boy was just granted a miracle ticket to the Beacon. I have never been to NYC so this is going to be awesome. I have been on the Forum since it started but don't post alot because I don't want to get busted at work messin' around on the net and I really need this job. I've been on the bus since '74 and have seen many a many of shows including Furthur about 12 times. I always hope of meeting up with Forum folks at shows but have never been lucky enough. Not sure how to hook up with the Family. I was thinking that maybe we, me, whoever, setup some sort of booth at shakedown for us. I do have a 10 x 10 canopy and table/ chairs and would be willing to let other Forum folks use if I cannot get to the show. Also thinking of sort of banner to put across the canopy so we can be easly found. I think we should have representation at every show to help our Family grow and become a fixture at shows. Even if it's just to hang out and party, we would have a place to go on shakedown and hangout. If not shakedown possibly in the venue if allowed. Not sure how to do that. I know there are gonna be alot of great ideas and have seen others on here mention doing a booth. I'm very serious about doing this so please reply and let me know what you think. Need ideas for a banner and even flags to mount on pole fixed to the canopy. Last, I would love to hook with everyone going to the Beacon shows cause I know nothing about NYC and maybe some pointers. And can anyone help with finally adding a photo/avatar to my login as I have no idea how to do this. Later, Glenn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmglf2, scar1et_f1re
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Miracle Granted/Forum booth at shows

#115398 2 years, 9 months ago
glenn, glad to hear about your stroke of luck, or really, your fate of making to the beacon.

i have been actively cheering to set up a furthur forum booth at shows, but the idea never goes beyond here.

we need to figure out first if we want it to be an official in venue thing or just outside. i think it would work a lot better if we could contact the band and be able to set up a table that is at every show, with a rotating cast of characters depending on the city and who's on tour.

EDHEAD---if you are reading this, how do the wharf rats do it? they are inside early to set up correct?

if we do it on our own, we'd have to really coordinate it so people were there representing at every show.

i can speak from experience that many times folks plan a meet up and it doesn't go through, but having a booth would make it 10 million times easier.

i have on more than one occasion shared that i'd gladly devote my personal time at shows and at home to helping this cause.

to upload avatar you must click on your name and then edit info.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#115400 2 years, 9 months ago
I have a resource to print banners.

Will assist in any other ways. Lets get this done for Spring '12!
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#115405 2 years, 9 months ago
Great idea. I can be of help here with bay area shows. Maybe on the banner we should use the font or art that furthur uses on this forum. So the top of the banner reads furthur just like it looks on the top of the page here. Just a thought. It would be easy to recognize. Someone who has fb and tweeter can start posting on the band page to help us get this started.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#115408 2 years, 9 months ago
The Wharf Rats got permission from The Grateful Dead back in 1986 to have a table at every show, which includes two tickets for the table workers. One of the founders of the Rats tells a story of being invited to a band meeting in the late 80's when they were considering how to cut back on the number of people that were always on their guest list. When it came time to consider the Wharf Rats, Phil said that they could stay because he knew that the Wharf Rats save lives.

I guess this permission was granted in turn by all of the GD spin-offs including Furthur, plus Dark Star Orch. The two table workers are put on the guest list and go into the arena an hour before the gates open in order to set up. Someone in the band's tour management communicates this information to the venues' management.

As far as a Forum table inside the shows, I don't see why this couldn't be possible. In addition to Wharf Rats, Head Count, Seva, Greenpeace, and other organizations sometimes have tables at shows.

I don't know how someone would communicate to Furthur this desire, but maybe Phil could be PMed about it. Has anyone ever PMed Kilowatt (that's Phil) and got a response?

As far as doing a booth at shakedown, anyone with the motivation and desire could certainly do that. Of course, there won't be a shakedown in Manhatten for the Beacon.

At Wanee, it would be possible for someone to fly a banner in the camping area and post the location on this site. Wanee doesn't allow Wharf Rats to have an official table, but us Rats do meet every day at a specific time and place. The Forum Family could also arrange a daily meetup at a specific time and place.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmglf2, gvanman
gvanman
Platinum Boarder

#115409 2 years, 9 months ago
thanks for the replys. I will try not let this die. I think the band would love the idea. wlewis, I believe your right in the the idea this should be a band sanctioned thing, kinda like Wharf rats. So different people can man the booth on different coasts. I will donate the canopy and donate for banner and whatever it takes. Let's keep it rolling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecojaded
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#115450 2 years, 9 months ago
gvanman wrote:
thanks for the replys. I will try not let this die. I think the band would love the idea. wlewis, I believe your right in the the idea this should be a band sanctioned thing, kinda like Wharf rats. So different people can man the booth on different coasts. I will donate the canopy and donate for banner and whatever it takes. Let's keep it rolling.

Many of us are totally in favor of this and we'd love to help. I only was able to meet 3 or 4 boarders the last couple of tours, but it made those shows extra special for me. I'm 1 million % certain I'm not alone there.

And I know I missed more boarders at the shows than I was able to connect with. Even with the will, it's hard to find each other in practice. Especially last fall when they ran all over the damn map.

A booth would be great.

A pin of some sort would also be kind (hmmm DeadontheRiver??). Or maybe t-shirts or ? (LBDowling...comes to mind..).

I'm also willing and able to help. But like Althea, I'm lacking in some direction (sort of clueless how to make it really happen).

~Won't you try just a little bit harder? Couldn't you try just a little bit more?
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds