• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Obama takes a line from the Grateful Dead

#115243 2 years, 6 months ago
Okay folks, I'm gonna save you some time. I just watched President Obama's State of the Union address. It can be boiled down to three words. ....

Built to last

Five times tonight, Obama used the phrase Built to Last. Either an "economy built to last" or "an America built to last"

"Think about the America within our reach: A country that leads the world in educating its people. An America that attracts a new generation of high-tech manufacturing and high-paying jobs. A future where we're in control of our own energy, and our security and prosperity aren't so tied to unstable parts of the world. An economy built to last, where hard work pays off, and responsibility is rewarded."

"No, we will not go back to an economy weakened by outsourcing, bad debt, and phony financial profits. Tonight, I want to speak about how we move forward, and lay out a blueprint for an economy that's built to last - an economy built on American manufacturing, American energy, skills for American workers, and a renewal of American values."

"You see, an economy built to last is one where we encourage the talent and ingenuity of every person in this country. That means women should earn equal pay for equal work. It means we should support everyone who's willing to work; and every risk-taker and entrepreneur who aspires to become the next Steve Jobs."

"Let's never forget: Millions of Americans who work hard and play by the rules every day deserve a Government and a financial system that do the same. It's time to apply the same rules from top to bottom: No bailouts, no handouts, and no copouts. An America built to last insists on responsibility from everybody."

"They know that this generation's success is only possible because past generations felt a responsibility to each other, and to their country's future, and they know our way of life will only endure if we feel that same sense of shared responsibility. That's how we'll reduce our deficit. That's an America built to last."

So just watch this...but don't forget to vote.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell, Island Head
bluetrainsugaree
Expert Boarder

Re: Obama takes a line from the Grateful Dead

#115249 2 years, 6 months ago
Nice one, good catch!
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#115250 2 years, 6 months ago
I can't believe I was sitting in front of that entire speech (admittedly surfing too ) and didn't catch that! Well how's that for a reason for another Deadheads for Obama show!!
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#115278 2 years, 6 months ago
I thought it was a funny coincidence when he said it the first time, but then he said it again and again

There are times when I can help you out
And times when you must fall
There are times when you must live in doubt
And I can't help at all

There are times when you offend me
And I do the same to you
If we can't or won't forget it
I guess we could be through
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds