• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Better Dead Than Red

#114935 2 years, 9 months ago
There's a new documentary about the GD-sponsored 1992 Lithuanian Olympic basketball team premiering at the Sundance Festival this year. That should be interesting, it was a great story, and lots of fun at the time to root for the team in tie-dye. I always wanted one of those shirts, but never did get one. Here's part of the story:
"Much more than a sports film, Marius Markevicius’ doc follows the 1992 Lithuanian national basketball team on their path to winning the bronze Olympic medal in Barcelona. "Better Dead Than Red” — that was the stirring motto of the 1992 Lithuanian national basketball team who won the bronze in Barcelona. Amazingly, the team was financed by the Grateful Dead out of admiration for the country’s staunch resistance to a 1991 Soviet invasion...Truly, one of the most glorious moments in Olympic history was the Lithuanian team standing on the podium to receive their bronze medal, decked out in Grateful Dead tie-dyed finery."
www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/sundace...m-team-review-284010

lithuaniateam2.jpg

lithuaniateam.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation, scar1et_f1re, Bakes, 23atwell
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

Re: Better Dead Than Red

#114938 2 years, 9 months ago
That looks very interesting. I remember that and all my friends rooting for the team!! Great story for sure.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Better Dead Than Red

#114983 2 years, 9 months ago
I remember watching this at the time- it was so great! Yet one more uber cool thing the guys did!!
The good stuff is right in at the start, talks about the GD around 0:40 you don't need the whole 8 minutes (though the young US guys are kind of interesting too):

Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by SunshineSue.
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds