• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: The day Jerry died...

#115388 2 years, 7 months ago
The set list for that last show was also somewhat magical. Double encore of Black Muddy River --> Box of Rain followed by fireworks.

"I will walk alone by the black muddy river".

Plus so many roads to ease my soul. Touch of Grey Opener. And I'm pretty sure a double dose of Phil Lesh (childhoods end and Box of Rain) was a rarity back then. Certainly a special treat.

07-09-95 Soldier Field, Chicago, Il. (Sun)
1: Touch*, Rooster*, Lazy River Road*, Masterpiece@*, Childhood's End*, Cumberland*, Promised*
2: Shakedown*, Samson*, So Many Roads*, Samba*, Corinna*> Drumz*> Unbroken Chain*> Sugar Magnolia* E: Black Muddy River*> Box Of Rain*
*final version last non-medly, two-song encore: 11-03-91 [271] - fireworks display set to Jimi Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner" after the show - The Band opened

I find myself listening to this show a lot

www.archive.org/details/gd1995-07-09.sbd.miller.114369.flac16
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: saintStephen
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#115390 2 years, 7 months ago
I just realized, this was a triple Phil Show, Childhoods End, Unbroken Chain, Box of Rain. I may be way off, but I don't recall ever seeing 3 Phil's during one gd show. Hmmmmm.....strange
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
furthur1
Junior Boarder

#115393 2 years, 7 months ago
I just melted when Bobby sang BMRiver at Madison this past fall.

When it seems like the night will last forever,
And theres nothing left to do but count the years,
When the strings of my heart begin to sever,
And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears,
I will walk alone, by the black muddy river,
And dream me a dream of my own,
I will walk alone, by the black muddy river,
And sing me a song of my own, sing me a song of my own.
さらに、
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#115412 2 years, 7 months ago
My last show had been Giants Stadium summer 94. I was at a Duane Reade pharmacy on Broadway in lower Manhattan and I notice that St. Stephen was playing over the their speaker system and thought that was odd that they are not playing the usual 'muzak.' appropriate for a shop like DR. Cool.

I got back to work and a guy told me in somber tones that Jerry died in his sleep at a rehab place. So a then me and a coworker, and fellow head, sat down and took it all in.

R.I.P. Jerry and thanks for the music.
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#115424 2 years, 7 months ago
I was at work. When one of my friends called me and said "Did you hear the news"?. Right then I knew what had happened. I went to the Riverport (now Verizon) shows in Missouri over the 4th of July weekend, + knew the writing was on the wall. I actually cried at those shows, because they were so bad. I left work, + called in sick the next day. I did not listen to any Dead music for about two years.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by strangerinboulder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67, saintStephen
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#115516 2 years, 7 months ago
I was at home and a non-head friend called to tell me how sorry he was to hear the news and was I alright and I had no idea what he was talking about. I laughed and told him I thought he'd got it wrong and that Jerry was actually in rehab and he probably heard some weird rumor or something. Then I hung up and put on the TV and realized it was true and I cried. I called my boyfriend and told him and he said he was sorry to hear the news and would come over right after work. When he got to my place I had two glass candles lit my front stoop and I let them burn all the way down- I think they were lit for at least a couple of days before they finally went out.

Anyway, on his way to my house, my boyfriend had heard there was an impromptu memorial drum circle across the street at the park so I grabbed some incense, candles and some red roses and we walked over to where folks were congregating. It was nice to be outside in a lovely park setting with other folks who were feeling similarly. We lit our candles and incense and put them in the soft dirt with the red roses around them in a circle and just sat there listening to the music people were playing. This younger girl came up and sat a little ways behind us and I turned and smiled at her. She looked at me like she wasn't sure what she should be doing or something. A little while later she moved closer to us and leaned over and said, "excuse me, can you tell me where are they selling the incense and candles and flowers?". I told her I'd brought them from home and nobody was selling them and she looked confused and said, "how did everyone know to bring flowers and incense and candles?" I just smiled and said "I don't know, we all just did."

To this day that memory makes me smile, it was sort of like old guard/new guard and it broke the safeness for a few moments. To this day, random Jerry tunes make me start crying, not one song every time, just some line will hit a nerve and I'll wish that I could hear him sing one more song. I think I'll always feel that way and I know many other people do too so it's okay.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by katie mae.
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds