• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

Re: The day Jerry died...

#115214 2 years, 9 months ago
Such a terrible day I'll keep it short we had been working out in the boonies all day and got a call on the cell phone (remember hose big car phone things in the big case?) . We always listened to tapes so hadn't heard the radio all day, of course we turned the radio on and low and behold they were playing Althea a song they had never played before so we pretty much knew then. I cried the rest o the way home. O the plans I had for touring as I only had a 6 show tour under my belt all squashed. I did however tour with the Furthur Festival the nxt few years. That was fun.
The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: saintStephen
ablebaker
Senior Boarder

#115228 2 years, 9 months ago
still makes me cry too
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, saintStephen
calliopewail
Junior Boarder

#115262 2 years, 9 months ago
i cried when i saw this...this was recorded a month before our dear friend died. Jerry was a man beyond description.

Hang your heart on laughing willow,
stray down to the water
deep sea of LOVE <3<3<3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue, saintStephen
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#115266 2 years, 9 months ago
Went to the haight with my dad and walked around and grieved. Dad bough two really nice mouse posters that hang up in my place today. Mardi GRAS 95, and another poster that is from 95 with the seattle, Vegas, portland, and shoreline dates on it. Sad day for sure. I miss Jerry
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
bluetrainsugaree
Expert Boarder

#115272 2 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps misguided, but I also sort of blame Deborah Koons for his passing.

I could see that...
especially if she encouraged him to enter a rehabilitation center.
Anyone have details on what led him into this chapter?

When I heard he was gone, I knew I should have kept going to more shows.
My last one was in '93. I had heard that the scene was getting really bad and stopped going.
It was sad, and our local hippies gathered in the park to wish him farewell.
I think I miss him more now that I've seen The Other Ones, PL&F and Furthur...his energy was so revitalizing.
1Stellargirl
Junior Boarder

#115274 2 years, 9 months ago
My Dad's 52 birthday. My girlfriend and I were planning on driving up to see him and before we left, my sister called and gave me the news. I was in complete denial and could not believe it. Once it seemed like reality, we drove up, saw my parents, and my Dad greeted me at the door and said "It's okay, you don't have to wish me a happy birthday. I understand." We listened to 12/31/86 on the way up, and when Jerry sang "Won't you tell everybody you meet that the Candyman's in town" I had to pull over and weep.

I saw my last show on 6/10/94. I had always planned to go back, but those Cal Expo shows were dismal and it stopped being a priority after that. I started dating the aforementioned girlfriend on 6/11, and she eventually became my wife. After Jerry died, I kept beating myself up for never taking her to a show. Our 11-year old son now loves the Grateful Dead, and got to see Furthur with me last New Years Eve...our first show!

I was mostly shocked because I believed the official story going around the last few years about how Jerry was clean, eating healthfully, and exercising. I could not wrap my head around the fact that he died in a rehab facility. I saw no shows after 6/10/94, and I collected no tapes from that last year, so I had no idea the level of deterioration that had occurred.

I saw 70 shows between 1985 and 1994, and I wish I had seen 70 more!!

God, I miss that guy something fierce to this day!
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#115280 2 years, 9 months ago
jcmarckx wrote:
Our 11-year old son now loves the Grateful Dead, and got to see Furthur with me last New Years Eve...our first show!!

Love seeing that next generation get introduced to the live experience. That's great!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, saintStephen
furthur1
Junior Boarder

#115292 2 years, 9 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:

Or maybe I was simply upset that the tickets I had for the upcoming shows would never be used (I do cherish that ticket - I never sent it back for $ -

Any way to get a scan of the tickie? Would love to see that.
さらに、
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#115369 2 years, 9 months ago
furthur1 wrote:
scar1et_f1re wrote:

Or maybe I was simply upset that the tickets I had for the upcoming shows would never be used (I do cherish that ticket - I never sent it back for $ -

Any way to get a scan of the tickie? Would love to see that.

Sure, I'll try to do it this weekend.

This tread was a tough read. Bittersweet to hear his beautiful voice singing. Knocking on heavens door hit me hard last night. Poor Jerry. He gave us so much, and left us way too early.

For that matter, so did Ron (Pigpen) Keith and Brent.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
furthur1
Junior Boarder

#115375 2 years, 9 months ago
Yeah this was tough as nails to sit n read but there is comfort in the release. Nothing left to do but smile smile smile....
さらに、
Time to create page: 0.79 seconds