• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

Re: The day Jerry died...

#115000 2 years, 7 months ago
I was NUMB for a couple of days and did not/could not take a listen to the music again until the summer of 1998. Jerry and the GD was my life from 1988 until 1994. For the most part, IT was one of the last things I thought about before I went to bed and one of the first things that came to mind when I woke up each day. To have that end as it did was a cosmic kick in the ass.

I always loved this Dylan quote:

"There's no way to measure his greatness as a person or as a player, I don't think eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great -- much more than a superb musician with an uncanny ear and dexterity. He is the very spirit personified of whatever is muddy river country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal." AMEN to that Bob > I feel exactly the same about you....
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by teafortexas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re, saintStephen
theotherone
Junior Boarder

#115004 2 years, 7 months ago
...Hunter's Elegy....

An Elegy for Jerry (by Robert Hunter)

Jerry, my friend,
you've done it again,
even in your silence
the familiar pressure
comes to bear, demanding
I pull words from the air
with only this morning
and part of the afternoon
to compose an ode worthy
of one so particular
about every turn of phrase,
demanding it hit home
in a thousand ways
before making it his own,
and this I can't do alone.
Now that the singer is gone,
where shall I go for the song?

Without your melody and tase
to lend an attitude of grace
a lyric is an orphan thing,
a hive with neither honey's taste
nor power to truly sting.

What choice have I but to dare and
call your muse who thought to rest
out of the thin blue air
that out of the field of shared time,
a line or two might chance to shine --

As ever when we called,
in hope if not in words,
the muse descends.

How should she desert us now?
Scars of battle on her brow,
bedraggled feathers on her wings,
and yet she sings, she sings!

May she bear thee to thy rest,
the ancient bower of flowers
beyond the solitude of days,
the tyranny of hours--
the wreath of shining laurel lie
upon your shaggy head
bestowing power to play the lyre
to legions of the dead

If some part of that music
is heard in deepest dream,
or on some breeze of Summer
a snatch of golden theme,
we'll know you live inside us
with love that never parts
our good old Jack O'Diamonds
become the King of Hearts.

I feel your silent laughter
at sentiments so bold
that dare to step across the line
to tell what must be told,
so I'll just say I love you,
which I never said before
and let it go at that old friend
the rest you may ignore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
......While the Music Plays the Band.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmglf2, funky420, scar1et_f1re, SunshineSue, teafortexas, bluetrainsugaree, saintStephen
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#115013 2 years, 7 months ago
i was 8 years old, on summer vacation, and i had no idea who jerry garcia was for another 6 years
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: saintStephen
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#115033 2 years, 7 months ago
I had lost my Father in June of 1995.The Wind was out of my sails.I had seen the Grateful Dead that summer,I never critiqued the shows,just enjoyed.. So in August when Jerry died,I got really sad.The night he died I went to see Joan Baez at a local theater and she sang "Amazing Grace" as tribute to Jerry.I remember crying in the audiance.Friends called with condolences,they all knew how much I loved his music! Special mention to Phila Folk Fest that summer where Trout Fishing in America did "Not Fade Away"!
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#115058 2 years, 7 months ago
I was at work. My friend called me to tell me the news. As I'm on the phone with her, my Deadhead friend at work walks into the room, he looks at the expression on my face, and says "It must be true" - he had a call minutes earlier. I went out for lunch with my Deadhead friend from work. We got in my car and when I started it, the local rock station came on the radio and it was Black Peter, Jerry singing the line "See here how everything......" Grateful Dead synchronicity one more time...

That evening I went home and was a bummed out. I got a phone call from a guy I was trading Allman Brothers recordings with around that time, and he had an extra ticket for The Allman Bros at Jones Beach. I went to the show. They did the 1st Franklin's Jam into Blue Sky that I heard (I think).
These are the good old days!!
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#115073 2 years, 7 months ago
By the time he died, I lost most of the fire I had for the band. 93-95 were mostly years i went out of habit. Life circumstances changed drastically in 93 for me so it actually worked out for the best. By the time I left Albany in 1995, I seriously considered not going to any shows anymore. The scene was like Camden NJ having a 110 degree summer heat wave for a week. Scary, paranoid, and unsafe!!!!! Basically a big pile of dung.

I remember that day perfectly. I went to work at 7:00 am, wife called and said I needed to meet her for a sonogram on our second child at 3;00. On my way to the appointment, i heard the news on the radio. I looked at my wife and was surprised even though I knew the end was coming after seeing him that summer. I had a great distraction to take my sadness away with having a new child on the way. It actually did not affect me till the spring of 1996 when i woudl not be planning to go and see them anymore. Even though I vowed i was done with the scene, having it finalized like this was not the way i expected it to end. jerry made the final decision for me.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Chester
More or less in line

#115075 2 years, 7 months ago
Such a sad day. My story is pretty much the same as all of yours. But I have enjoyed reading these posts.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#115080 2 years, 7 months ago
I woke up on 8/9/95 kind of late , 11:30'ish, having stayed up to finish the last of a dosed wine bottle. i got myself cleaned up and went to the bar to get breakfast.
when I got there I was greeted by the Bartender , who was a younger head who had never gotten to see the band before, he handed me the usa today paper. sad times
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Muddy Das
Junior Boarder

#115121 2 years, 7 months ago
It started just like any other day went to work came home. sitting around with my family just about to watch the evening news when my dad said "oh garcia died" i had no idea who he was talking about "garcia who?" just then it came on the news not even a second later. i didn't how to feel, we are all mortal. Then within the next minute the phone rang and the cosmos told me it was my tour buddy, "i just heard" is how i answered the phone. That night i went to my local video store and rented every movie i could find that had jerry in it. Then bought a six pack and some pot got a good buzz on and cryed watching jerry play. Still to this day i get teary eyed remembering this day.

I WILL ALWAYS MISS JERRY
ablebaker
Senior Boarder

#115193 2 years, 7 months ago
a little of me died too
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds