• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
WayfaringDreamer
Junior Boarder

Re: Any Rainbow Family here??

#11720 3 years, 3 months ago
Nice post John!

Thanks for the info, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post!
Brooklyn Jimmy
Junior Boarder

#11721 3 years, 3 months ago
Thanks for stopping in John.
rhythmdaddy
Junior Boarder

#11724 3 years, 3 months ago
Thank you , Jay Kay! That was very well written, and really described the Rainbow Gatherings for those of us that have always wanted to go, but haven't. Now I really want to!
I was surprised to see at the end that it was you who was writing.
Click on this to check out The Reckoning:
www.facebook.com/thereckoningacousticband
Strummer101er
Junior Boarder

#11725 3 years, 3 months ago
[quote="Jay Kay" post=11704]Thanks, y'all... funny that this would be the thread that got me to register. There is enough disinformation about Rainbow Gatherings in the corporate media that I can't bear to see it regurgitated here.

So imagine, you are in the woods, maybe 20-50 miles from the nearest cell tower, with 10-20 thousand other folks, its a couple hours after sunset, the stars are out, you are walking along a trail and stumble on a campfire where they are making popcorn in a giant wok 4 feet in diameter... someone fills your cup up with freshly popped kernels, you munch a little, taking in the scene, and continue walking... you hear a rumble ahead, which turns out to be 50 drummers and 200 dancers around the next fire, and they are "crushing it"! A little further down the trail you run into a camp with five 50-gallon barrels turned into wood-burning ovens... turns out you missed the brownies, but they have freshly baked chocolate chip cookies! A little more down the trail is another fire where someone is playing acoustic guitar & singing songs for 5 or 6 other folks... you sit down to listen for a song or two, and next thing you know, out of the darkness other musicians show up and join in... and the 5 or 6 listeners have turned in to a crowd of folks dancing and singing along...

...then, on the morning of July 4th, you wake up to the entire camp observing a silent vigil. You make your way, along with the majority of the other campers, to the "main meadow" where, still in silence, folks are sunbathing, meditating, reading, and gradually forming a hand-holding circle around the meadow 1/4 mi or more in diameter. Around noon. a parade of children, colorful floats, hippie clowns, stiltwakers, etc approaches from "kid village" and the circle begins to "Om" together... the parade reaches the totem pole at the center of the meadow, everyone breaks into a joyful shout, the drums begin thundering, and hundreds of watermelons are chopped and handed out... you look up, there's a rainbow around the sun, and you know you have just seen one of the most amazing annual events in North America, if not the world... <<
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John have you ever considered writing a Choose Your Own Adventure? Or maybe Dungeon Mastering a rpg about a Rainbow Gathering?

But seriously I really really loathe Rainbow Gatherings. They've always given me this creepy ass Jonestown vibe. And 'magic hats' and asking for donations - well...just something about that I just can't get down with. Magic hats belong in Harry Potter. Not in the company of a bunch of grown damn people.
Let fury have the hour. Anger can be power - the clash
derek92
Junior Boarder

#11726 3 years, 3 months ago
finally john jumps on here that was great to hear man.
good perspectives of it all good and bad
chickentown
Junior Boarder

#11727 3 years, 3 months ago
Believe it if you need it, if you don't just pass it on
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruby_claire, PMoondancer
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#11734 3 years, 3 months ago
Thanks for discussing something that has been around as long as I've been a 'deadhead'.

There has always been a divide in this scene between those who feel that it's necessary to give back ( I think truly understanding that everything in the universe involves give and take) and those who are simply in it for the party.
Also between those who have chosen to live alternatively vs. those who hang out for the scene at the shows (no, I won't use the word that seems to have gotten so popular to describe people like this, it's not nice.)

I am NOT judging anyone, simply commenting. I think the publicity generally goes towards whatever is more negative, because unfortunately, negativity sells in our sick society. It is hard to classify those who love peace, music nature etc. under one umbrella, but the dirty smelly long-haired hippy theme seems to hold an attraction for those who want to denigrate an alternative lifestyle.
What it seems like to me is that people are judging, the antithesis of what I had hoped to find when I was 18 and just trying to figure out who I was ,or for that matter when I made the decision to join this message board.

Isn't it ok to say that what is right for one isn't right for everyone, but it's personal and there is no absolute 'correct' choice as far as lifestyles go?

We all seem to be able to accept that people like different bass players, why can't we accept that people make different lifestyle choices. I thought we were trying to eschew derogatory comments here as much as possible. I'm all for healthy debate, I would just hope that people would heed the words of the moderator who asked for respectful discourse.

Peace to ALL

PS I love the idea of a "Magic Hat" I used to have one.
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by ruby_claire. Reason: spelling error - additional comment
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorado Greg, Abba
shoelesh
Junior Boarder

#11737 3 years, 3 months ago
if ii had the social skills , i would be interested in the rainbow thing ..but i dont , have hard enough time going to shows ...being 6'8 350lbs and being hassled about it non-stop keeps me in my hole ...it could a "positive" or "negative" hassling or looks ...so i keep to myself ..almost always a show loner ..luckly the music takes me away from where ever i am and the people seems to dissappear and i get to that rare and special "place "
everyone has a way of getting "there". Just because some one is diffrent does not mean they are bad or lesser some how . Stereotyping and generalizing is illogical and will bring false conclussions.

I could recommend the gathering for most folks of our collective "interests". I've know some folks that engage in such activities and some are professional "clean cut" kind of folks and they have a blast . Though i have heard horror stories , but you can get that anywhere ya go in any thing you do .

So challenge your preconceived notions and test your conclussions . Be curious ,question all things . Let logic and reason be your guide. See what the rainbow gatherings are about before you decide yay or nay

thats is you got skills to be around folks

yea i know i am guity of stereotyping and generalizing myself and i appologize . I'm a terrible person . another reason to stay in my large deep hole
The following user(s) said Thank You: gratefulpanda, Abba
shoelesh
Junior Boarder

#11741 3 years, 3 months ago
[quote="ruby_claire" post=11734]Thanks for discussing something that has been around as long as I've been a 'deadhead'.

" We all seem to be able to accept that people like different bass players, why can't we accept that people make different lifestyle choices. I thought we were trying to eschew derogatory comments here as much as possible. I'm all for healthy debate, I would just hope that people would heed the words of the moderator who asked for respectful discourse."

i always hate any discussion of "who or what is your favorite ___"..because of the poor logic of that line of questioning

Diffrent is not bad . I suspect it is an evolutionarry function of protecting ones own back in the ole pleistocene. But the kicker here is we continue to evolve and I think(my opinion) those who can let go of this judgemnt now are more evolved . I say thast as my own theory and not to judge those who can not let go and have to judge diffrent as bad . But i do see it as progress to be able let go of that , what i call junk. WE as humans do not need that any more , and have not needed it for some time ...it all comes donw to "Try it before you decide it "...Thats my tip of the day !
Lynx
Visitor

#11747 3 years, 3 months ago
"...being 6'8 350lbs and being hassled about it"

Holy shit I would never hassle anyone who meets that physical description!
Time to create page: 0.80 seconds