• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

North Mississippi Allstars

#114102 2 years, 7 months ago
So after hearing who the opener was going to be I checked out some videos on youtube and thought ok these guys should be good. Boy was I wrong...they blew me away I have never seen musicians like them before, talent is just oozing from them. I mean a washboard? Really? Wow. And who takes a coffee can adds a stick and strings and plays it, Luther Dickenson that's who. Then I learned who they were and who their father was and it started to piece together. I am happy to say that after spending the weekend with their sound guy we bacame good friends and he said anytime they are near me he will email me make sure I have tix!
The voices tell me what to say
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

Re: North Mississippi Allstars

#114103 2 years, 7 months ago
Heres Cody with the washboard.

The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
Chester
More or less in line

#114106 2 years, 7 months ago
Well, I'm glad you discovered one of the great "Undiscovered" jam bands on the scene today. I've been a huge fan for 7 or 8
years now. Fell in love with their first disc, "Shake hands with shorty". I've had the pleasure of seeing them live several times.
And, they are going to be at Wanee, so all of you will get a chance to see them in their glory. I'm sure Luther will be jamming
with a lot of the folks. He is a really talented giutar player, and his Brother Cody, is a great drummer. (And washboard player.)
Did they trade places? Luther and Cody used to switch instruments for a few songs. Great musicians. It's been too long since
I've seen them. They're always fun.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: funky420
Chester
More or less in line

#114109 2 years, 7 months ago
This is their version of K.C. Jones (On the road again) From Shake hands with Shorty.

Chester
More or less in line

#114112 2 years, 7 months ago
One of my favorites!

deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#114153 2 years, 7 months ago
When I saw the subject header for this thread I clicked on it right away. I'm a fan and am glad to see others discovering them.

My most memorable NMAD was seeing them at Roseland Ballroom in N.Y.C. for the Allman Brothers 'Another One For Woody" memorial show in 2010. The Allmans did a benefit for the family of their departed bassist Allen Woody. Lots of others played with them including NMAD. I was lucky enough to be second man standing in front of the stage that wonderful night.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by deadegad.
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

#114155 2 years, 7 months ago
This has been an amusing check into a thread. Lovin' me some NMA. Then Funky420 drops a fine Mule vid of a stones tune and soon enough we're talking about benefit concert fer Allen Woody w/ the Allman Bros.
Funky420,
Congratulations, and cute proposal pic, on contact when those guys come around, definitely worthy outing every time, and nicely varying shows.
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#114207 2 years, 7 months ago
Yeah, man!! I just got turned on to them at Wanee 2010. They were the first act I saw at my first Wanee, right after I set up my tent and wandered over to the stage. They sure do make a big sound for a three piece band, and they are all master musicians. Luther was all over the stages throughout Wanee 2010 and 2011 and I'm sure they willl continue to be a highlight of this awesome festival. Check out their tune "Hear the Hills", really love that one!!
Without love day to day insanity's king
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#114233 2 years, 7 months ago
Love me some North MS Allstars!!! Yea Luther Dickenson is the man!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#114436 2 years, 7 months ago
Count me among those digging the Shake Hands With Shorty CD. I like the way the drummer and bass player work as one.
These are the good old days!!
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds