• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Is there anything negative about gd for you

#113945 2 years, 7 months ago
I think one thing for me that I find negative about gd for me is that I can't get into too much other music cause gd rules that part of my life. It's not a terrible thing. I'm not exactly sure I can blame them but I compare music with feeling. There is some music that give me that good feeling, like bob marley, pink floyd, jgb of course and more. But for the life of me I can't get into any new artists. I hear a new artist and I like it but when I want to her music, I go straight to the bottle "grateful dead". I know a lot of people like rush. I can't even remember ever hearing them. So I recorded a live concert on my tv, I'm going to watch today.

Phish, there probably really good. But when I listen, I get nothing like when I listen to gd. So does that mean I don't care for them. Or does that mean gd is so up there for me that nothing can make me feel like gd does.

Anybody find anything negative about gd in there life. I know it's hard but....
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: bokb, teafortexas
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Re: Is there anything negative about gd for you

#113949 2 years, 7 months ago
Rush is defiantly not for me
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag, mcolleen
MongoJosh
Junior Boarder

#113952 2 years, 7 months ago
I kinda feel the same, I love all kinds of different stuff from new orleans second line bands to old time country to punk all in the same evening. Unfortunately no band Ive ever seen live comes close to the cosmic converging, group mind, chakra elevating blissfull spiritual awakening that GD music can provide. Fortunately we are living in a time where that still exists even after Jerry with this creature they call Furthur. The music plays the band...
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob, 23atwell, mcolleen, Wundurland
MongoJosh
Junior Boarder

#113954 2 years, 7 months ago
haha, yeah Rush is kinda like Phish for me, technically brilliant but lacking some soul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, bokb, 23atwell
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#113960 2 years, 7 months ago
I know what you mean, Ryan. I can enjoy all sorts of music and even have an emotional response to many songs. There's not a lot of concerts I go to that aren't fun to at least some degree. But, overall and certainly live, there's really no substitute for the GD or Furthur. The only negative is that I can't go to a show every week!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bakes, 23atwell
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#113988 2 years, 7 months ago
I felt that way for a ong time, sue. Lately though I havve really enjoyed seeing Railroad Earth, Cornmeal, 7Walkers, The New Orleans Suspects, and some other surprises I stumble on at festivals. I really do like the small festival scene, but there ain' nothing like that spiritual high I get from GD music It's definitely about being there for me
The following user(s) said Thank You: DangerousDan, SunshineSue, 23atwell
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#114001 2 years, 7 months ago
The only negative, There ain't 'nuff shows
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Little Bear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bokb, SunshineSue, 23atwell, teafortexas
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#114006 2 years, 7 months ago
23atwell wrote:
I think one thing for me that I find negative about gd for me is that I can't get into too much other music cause gd rules that part of my life. It's not a terrible thing. I'm not exactly sure I can blame them but I compare music with feeling. There is some music that give me that good feeling, like bob marley, pink floyd, jgb of course and more. But for the life of me I can't get into any new artists. I hear a new artist and I like it but when I want to her music, I go straight to the bottle "grateful dead". I know a lot of people like rush. I can't even remember ever hearing them. So I recorded a live concert on my tv, I'm going to watch today.

Phish, there probably really good. But when I listen, I get nothing like when I listen to gd. So does that mean I don't care for them. Or does that mean gd is so up there for me that nothing can make me feel like gd does.

Anybody find anything negative about gd in there life. I know it's hard but....

I missed out on many great concerts because I was following the GD and JGB around, and I had limited money and time for other concerts.

I once was one of those heads that pretty much only listened to GD and related music. I broke out of that in the mid 80's. There's so much great music for me other than the Dead. I can pretty much appreciate most anything other than rap and heavy metal. Classical doesn't do much for me either although I can appreciate it somewhat. I have delved deep into old blues, especially pre-WW II era. I like 50's and 60's rock, soul, motown, some folk music, a lot of classic rock. I dig bluegrass like Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, plus "newgrass" like Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, David Grisman, etc. I like Marley, Tosh, Freddie McGregor, what I call "singing style" reggae. The new "rap style" reggae is not for me.

I've spent time listening to the roots of the GD, stuff that influenced the band, like Jugband music, Django Reinhart, Art Tatum, Dylan, the Beatles, Miles Davis, Gary Davis.

There's a few new artists that I like. The Subdudes are a great band, but they're on a hiatus right now. I like Rob Ickes, who's an awesome dobro player. There's a new-style-bluegrass band called The Infamous Stringdusters who are definitively worth checking out - I have wondered if they got their name from Stella Blue lyrics.

The negative aspects about the GD for me are:
-all the heads who are still in jail all these years later. This is a tragedy. Go to Google and look up deadheads behind bars....
-some of the stuff I've seen at shows is a downer. Gate crashing, ticket scalpers, nitrous tanks, drunk rowdy people ... you know the rest
These are the good old days!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell, Gr8fullBear
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#114019 2 years, 7 months ago
Yeah, the Dead definitely spoiled it for me in terms of music (hell, in terms of life....). When did I lose touch with Tom Petty? Fuckin' love him, but can't remember the last time I've listened to a full album (maybe Wildflowers on a road trip back in '01). R.E.M.? They were my Dead before the Dead, if ya dig, and they just announced their dissolution a few months ago with nary a shrug from me; only nostalgia. But I wait with bated breath each newsdrip from the Furthur feed, and yeah, there are a few GD shows I've listened to more than Dark Side of the Moon (but not many), and I guess that the fact that the music and the scene is so ever-evolving that it is so enduring.

Here's an analogy I like to use. If you've ever owned an air-cooled VW, you understand that a Volkswagen is not merely transportation, it's a lifestyle. Similarly, GD is a lifestyle, equally as esoteric, maddening, and joyful, that transcends a mere hobby.

If there's anything negative about the Dead for me, it's how difficult it is to "justify" my passion to those who just. don't. get it.
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell, Wundurland
derek92
Junior Boarder

#114929 2 years, 7 months ago
If there's anything negative about the Dead for me, it's how difficult it is to "justify" my passion to those who just. don't. get it.[/quote]

well put
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by derek92.
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds