• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Would adding a second drummer make sense?

#113268 2 years, 9 months ago
It's the percussion that gets my feet moving. To me and lots of heads the "beat"' is the foundation for every song. phil bobby John jeff and sunshine and jeff add the magic "gravy" (the top shelf stuff).

Putting aside logistics and cost, what are your thoughts on Furthur adding a second drummer? Like the "old" days Joe can keep the beat leaving drummer #2 to be more creative. Or vice versa.

I think it would be a positive change. The drummer Billy mentioned in his rolling stones article on Jam cruise that LBD posted sounds awesome.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

Re: Would adding a second drummer make sense?

#113270 2 years, 9 months ago
Second drummer, no, A tambourine for Sunshine and a wood block for Jeff, yes.
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#113273 2 years, 9 months ago
When jay lane was still with them it added that little bit of somthin somthin
I listen back to my first furthur show which was patriot center 2/13/10 and the HSF and Let it Grow it was amazing he added that extra beat in there that got me grooving. Then When I saw just russo play the terrapin suite. It only takes one drummer with his skills to get everybody grooving.
GOOD LOVE
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#113277 2 years, 9 months ago
No, I think having only one drummer gives Phil extra room and puts everyone in a stronger place in the mix. It allows faster turns and more experimentation by everyone (except the second drummer). I really don't think they should mess with the lineup. Instead I would like to see much more special guest sit-ins and maybe some acustic stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#113282 2 years, 9 months ago
No reason to. Enough said.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#113292 2 years, 9 months ago
Live and let live.
Without love day to day insanity's king
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#113293 2 years, 9 months ago
as broken arrow mentions, they've been there, done that.

i liked jay lane in the group as i thought as a percussive enhancement he was great. i remember him playing some really trippy fills/beats but also instruments. i want to say i saw him doing the rain stick during unbroken chain, and it was awesome.

when he left it certainly was different, and i personally think it took joe a little getting used to but he's an animal, and a great musician so he figured it out.

i don't foresee them making any personnel changes unless absolutely necessary.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
1Stellargirl
Junior Boarder

#113294 2 years, 9 months ago
My personal take, and you all can flame me if you want (seems to be a favorite past-time here), but I really do not like the second drummer/percussionist role in any band. Well, it obviously worked for The Grateful Dead, but I find it to be distracting and useless in just about any other band. I think that the percussionist is just there to fill holes that do not need to be filled, or to create a "World Music" vibe that Furthur does not seem to want. I never heard early Furthur with their percussionist, but I am guessing that I am not missing anything since they sound so awesome without him.

So I guess my take on this is no, it would not make any sense (to me).
skyties
Junior Boarder

#113296 2 years, 9 months ago
Can't hurt but..... Who's the new guy? If it's not broke don't fix it.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#113301 2 years, 9 months ago
I don't believe I ever saw Jay Lane and I know Joe is an animal who can certainly hold his own.

I sort of disagree with if it ain't broken don't fix it. Experimentation has always led them to go furthur. Some experiments worked (Jerry's MIDI stuff IMO) other stuff probably not so well. It wasn't broken when Warren was on lead guitar.....but I believe the change to JK has been for the better.

I'm not saying I'd like or would not like a second drummer. I'm really somewhat impartial. I do firmly believe that the drumming is the backbone of this music and not the filler. Just my opinion of course.

treesmoker.jpeg
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds