• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

Re: Dead Heads For Obama 2012

#113007 2 years, 6 months ago
Obama just came out against the keystone pipline too. Although he hasn't been as good as he could be on the environement, he is much, much, much better than what Ron Paul would do. The Dead has a very long history of political involvment around the environment (not to mention their benifit for the Black Panthers back in the day).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo, SunshineSue
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#113011 2 years, 6 months ago
patchmyfurthur wrote:
if you are all ok with SOPA passing and this NDAA passing, fine vote for Obama.

I don't know if I will vote, because I too have lost faith in our government.

and our goverment has lost faith in the voters ablitiy inform themselves as well.

Win/Win
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#113059 2 years, 6 months ago
I wouldnt goe to a single show... Not a damn penny to the obama administration! Stay out of politics. This will be my first year elgible to vote and most likely i wont vote or il write in Jesse Ventura. Vote independant if anything
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder

#113069 2 years, 6 months ago
PLEASE READ BOOKS !!!!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: B-Rad
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#113074 2 years, 6 months ago
who was that directed too?^
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder

#113077 2 years, 6 months ago
Was not directed at you just the general convo and my point was that the voting populous should read more to make better informed decisions on who they vote for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, DangerousDan
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#113081 2 years, 6 months ago
ecojaded wrote:
Was not directed at you just the general convo and my point was that the voting populous should read more to make better informed decisions on who they vote for.

Exactly, it's critical to know what the real issues are, and not be distracted by the sound bites and attention-getting games that are what fills most of the media time and space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds, ecojaded, scar1et_f1re
SpaceCaptain
Fresh Boarder

#113086 2 years, 6 months ago
Dead Heads for Ron Paul!

Actually I think it is lame for them to support specific candidates. I was pretty disappointed when they called their last Dead tour Deadheads for Obama.

It goes against the inclusiveness that the Dead embodies, and makes people feel unwelcome if they disagree politically.

But I have always thought that the freedom and liberty promoted by Dr. Paul goes well with the attitude of a typical deadhead. After all, the freest government I've ever known is the self governing practices of Dead tour!
Phred
Senior Boarder

#113096 2 years, 6 months ago
Ron Paul and his anti-abortion views are incredibly hypocritical to his libertarian, "no big government" policies...that is, keep the government out of our lives..unless it is a social issue he feels strongly about. Then it 's BIG GOVERNMENT all in. He has some decent ideas...but that hypocrisy is a deal breaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lostsailor, scar1et_f1re, SunshineSue, Iriecycle
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#113098 2 years, 6 months ago
SpaceCaptain wrote:
Dead Heads for Ron Paul!

Actually I think it is lame for them to support specific candidates. I was pretty disappointed when they called their last Dead tour Deadheads for Obama.

It goes against the inclusiveness that the Dead embodies, and makes people feel unwelcome if they disagree politically.

But I have always thought that the freedom and liberty promoted by Dr. Paul goes well with the attitude of a typical deadhead. After all, the freest government I've ever known is the self governing practices of Dead tour!

Welcome to the Forum, Space Captain! I can understand the concern about inclusiveness, you have a point. But I disagree that Ron Paul's policies mesh with the typical Dead values. The exception would be drug policy, which I do agree him with on, and to some degree on his foreign policy, though not to the degree of isolationism he would embrace. But I know very few people who want no regulation on water and air quality, food and drug safety, or the financial sector. I think that would be a nightmare. Dr. Paul also feels that health care is a privilege for only those who can afford it, whereas most people I know think access to care should be a right. I don't want to be working in an ER and have to require you to show cash before I treat you. Ron would think that's a perfect free market solution. And if a woman I know is impregnated during a rape, I would hope she could terminate that pregnancy, if that was her choice. Ron wants to again make abortion illegal, no exceptions; he just wants it done at the state level. Not exactly "liberty" when he's telling people what they can and can't do with their own bodies.

Ron Paul talks a good game. He even has some very good policy positions in a couple of areas. But his, and most libertarians', overall philosophy, which boils down to "every man for himself", is pretty much the antithesis of my value system and what I've experienced the community-oriented values of the Dead scene, as varied as it is, to be. Just my 2 cents!

Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by SunshineSue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edheadwharfrat, B-Rad
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds