• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

Bahrain kills and beats protesters - Obama silent

#11249 3 years, 5 months ago
Bahrain Repression: Saudi Troops, U.S. Arms, Al-Jazeera Silence
March 25, 2011

A source in Bahrain who wishes to remain anonymous for their personal safety told the Institute of Public Accuracy this afternoon: “The regime has just arrested Lin Noueihed of Reuters and some other reporters. [Noueihed's last piece]

“Other countries are getting rid of their emergency laws, while Bahrain is imposing a new martial law. Things are incredibly tense. The regime is saying it wants a ‘cleansing operation’ — some Saudi and Kuwaiti media are using this term as well. The state media in Bahrain are continuing to be incredibly sectarian, creating enmity. Other media are being seriously intimidated, some have been beaten. Al-Jazeera is incredibly silent. I fear there could be a civil war and I fear it could spread. In this small country, 20 peaceful protesters have been killed and, according to the opposition, 100 people are missing and hundreds have been detained by the regime.

“We need serious help. The UN should at least meet to discuss what his happening here. The Saudis have moved into Bahrain and are interfering in one way or another in every Arab country. They don’t want positive developments in Tunisia and Egypt to spread to other countries.”

HUSAIN ABDULLA
Abdulla is director of Americans for Democracy and Human Rights in Bahrain. He said today: “There are extensive protests throughout Bahrain. It’s difficult to get one large protest in the central square because the regime has broken them up. The Saudi troops are still there of course, but getting them out has become a rallying cry for the protesters. The regime is using U.S. tear gas, weapons and Apache helicopters. Sen. Patrick Leahy is pressuring the Pentagon to make a determination about whether this violates U.S. law, using U.S. weapons to repress people. Al-Jazeera, and especially Al-Jazeera Arabic is incredibly quiet about the protests, they seem to only be for protests far away from Qatar [where Al-Jazeera is based].” See interview with The Real News

For Twitter pics and updates: #feb14, @MazenMahdi

For more information, contact at the Institute for Public Accuracy:
Sam Husseini, (202) 347-0020; or David Zupan, (541) 484-9167
Filed Under: Resources: Trade, World Bank, IMF, War: Info, Analysis, Policy Options Tagged With: al-jazeera, Bahrain, qatar, Saudi,

www.accuracy.org/release/bahrain-repress...-al-jazeera-silence/

"I Am Willing To Give My Life": Bahraini Human Rights Activists Risk Lives To Protest U.S./Saudi-Backed Repression

The Gulf nation of Bahrain is intensifying its crackdown on pro-democracy protesters. On Saturday, masked police offers broke into the home of Abdulhadi Alkhawaja, a prominent Bahraini human rights activist. He was beaten and detained. We speak to his daughter, Zainab Alkhawaja, who witnessed the attack and is now on a hunger strike. Her husband and brother-in-law were also beaten and arrested in the pre-dawn raid. We also speak to Nabeel Rajab, the president of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights. He is facing a possible military trial for publishing the photograph of Ali Sager, a protester who died while in Bahraini custody.

www.democracynow.org/2011/4/12/i_am_willing_to_give_my

So why do we attack Libya and do nothing about this? I guess we are obeying our Saudi masters, same as Bush.

Osame-a!
Totem
Visitor

Re: Bahrain kills and beats protesters - Obama silent

#11256 3 years, 5 months ago
There are better places on the web to discuss political topics. Just saying....
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#11258 3 years, 5 months ago
Yeah and if he "attacked" in this situation I'm sure you would pee on that, too..lame topic...isn't there another place in the internet to backseat drive?
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#11260 3 years, 5 months ago
Thought this was General Discussion. Didn't know there were limits on general. Not saying we should attack Bahrain but there are other ways of dealing with it and, it seems to me that the U.S. is backing the repression. And don't think I am some Tea Bagger, my problem with Obama is that he is way too far to the right for my tastes.
coyotte
Junior Boarder

#11269 3 years, 5 months ago
Ritchie ..I guess they dont know you here yet!!!

tell em' they aint heard nuthin' yet.........

FUCK OBAMA....
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#11270 3 years, 5 months ago
It would give more credibility to topics like yours if you'd give even a little even measure to what Obama has accomplished. The problem as I see it is that the right has gone so far off the deep end with their anti-govt nonsense and hate propaganda that to get anything done the left has to move to that side of the center.

People that blame Obama for everything fail to acknowledge he has had to deal with a conservative roadblock at every turn.. That do not want him to have any success, could care less about the greater good for the people who voted for them. The conservatives-corporations-billionaires have gone completely crazy with power mongering, they don't even try to hide it anymore.

If you think Obama is anywhere close to Bush, look at what he is dealing with, an all out attack on the public sector disguised as an economic fix. We are having a class warfare played out in this country, pushed by the aggressive right and you want us to attack another nation? He already spoke out against the situation very strongly, did you miss that?
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

#11273 3 years, 5 months ago
It is general discussion true. But when you start bringing religion topics or political topics like this one Some mean things start to be said. Just my opinion.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#11274 3 years, 5 months ago
www.change.org

This is a site much better suited for this type of disscusion. BTW it is not an Obama site it is actully a site ran by all of the non- profits orgs everthing from Green Peace to Citizens for a responsible Washington to educate about the issues.

Very useful and educational. Please use that as a resource for these types of discussions.

No disrespect intended. PEACE
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
judit
Junior Boarder

#11275 3 years, 5 months ago
bitzer87 wrote:
It is general discussion true. But when you start bringing religion topics or political topics like this one Some mean things start to be said. Just my opinion.

Perhaps this discussion can be held with civility. Expression of opinions can be done thoughtfully and kindly.
FUCK CANCER!

Peace & Love
aliatic
Fresh Boarder

#11277 3 years, 5 months ago
Good topic Richie. Current events is part of the fabric of life.

Not sure how this is Obama's fault. Also, you don't know what he's saying to people over the phone and such.

Interesting how Bahrain and Saudi are going a different direction from other places. In Saudi Arabia the king paid people off to keep them from demonstrating. Not sure if Bahrain has tried this or if the regime has the $$ to do that (I assume they do). However, given that Bahrain king is Sunni ruling over majority Shiite, maybe it wouldn't work because the Bahraini demonstrators would not be bought off. Also not sure how rich/poor the majority population is.

I should know this (or could google it), but what's the demographics in Saudi Arabia? I think its majority Sunni, as is the King. Anyone know? Also, how much of a problem is poverty and unemployment in Saudo Arabia? I am thinking they are pretty well-heeled.

Not on Bahrain but an interesting read on the culture and class differences in one middle east country, The Ayatollah Begs to Differ. Book about Iran. Interesting because the people we tend to favor, the pro-freedom secular types, are also rich, urban, cosmopolitan, and sometimes a little thoughtless about the fact that poor people honestly do have religious beliefs that are offended by their behavior--and not necessarily representantive of the majority. Great vignette of a party where all the chicks are dressed secularly and dancing sexy and everyone is drinking and how the maid is really uncomfortable with the whole thing. Crazy golf jacket president--son of a blacksmith--really does have a following. Makes you realize that revolution in Iraq is a lot further off than we'd all like to think.

Anyway, back to topic. Richie, what should Obama do about Bahrain? Give a speech to a bunch of americans? Bomb them?
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds