• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Keith and Donna firing

#111914 2 years, 7 months ago
ICantFindMyFace wrote:
donna's voice = nails on chalkboard.

sometimes her voice fits in nice (for me anyweay) and sometimes it's like "ok, was that really necessary?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re, rockinbob
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#111918 2 years, 7 months ago
I appreciate Kieth and Donnas contributions and a song like Sunrise is absolutely beautiful which I got to hear Teresa Williams just KILL at Radio City last March, but it really was time for a change and Brent re-energized the band at just the right time when he joined.
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
Brother Dust
Gold Boarder

#111927 2 years, 7 months ago
They both brought something to the band that I enjoyed, but Im glad they left or Brent would have never been heard in the Dead and I Love that Era.
The following user(s) said Thank You: katie mae
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#111950 2 years, 7 months ago
And from somewhere I read online, Bob's band opened for JGB in Oct '78 and that's when Jerry first heard Brent. Supposedly it was a done deal from then, because Jerry didn't have the motivation to go rehearsing pianists - he was too busy keeping to himself :/
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#111952 2 years, 7 months ago
I was very sad when they left the band, and though I didn't know it at the time the Jan 1979 Utica show was my last Keith and Donna show. I knew there were problems and the occasional "Donna was absent" show confirmed it. Sure there were some rough edges in Donna's voice but for the most part she fit that band like a glove and while Keith was no longer in his prime at the end his contribution to the band was monumental. I "learned" to love Brent.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#111968 2 years, 7 months ago
On that winterland DVD Donna was horrible. I mean I don't think there's one song where I liked hearing her. But I think it was around around on that DVD where she sounded like she got shot. She ruined songs. Sorry but that's how I feel. What pisses me off is that there are some scarlets that I really like the she goes off in the middle sounding like a ghost.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: ICantFindMyFace
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#111983 2 years, 7 months ago
23atwell wrote:
On that winterland DVD Donna was horrible. I mean I don't think there's one song where I liked hearing her. But I think it was around around on that DVD where she sounded like she got shot. She ruined songs. Sorry but that's how I feel. What pisses me off is that there are some scarlets that I really like the she goes off in the middle sounding like a ghost.

I actually laughed at this. You wrote it with passion. i agree with all you said.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#111999 2 years, 7 months ago
Keith 71-74=Unstoppable keyboard genius...regarding Donna, I never thought I was a huge fan, but I guess all those Playin' in the Bands with her wailing away is so deeply ingrained in my brain that when I hear Furthur play it I find it strange not to hear the yelling/screaming
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Slewfoot
Junior Boarder

#112084 2 years, 7 months ago
Donna was rarely in tune, something I would have thought the band would have wanted from their backup singer

Brent was SUCH a breath a fresh air vocally and absolutely slayed the keys to boot. The '79 to '83 era is unrivaled for this deadhead.

Oh, and happy 200th post to me
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Slewfoot.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds