• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

Keith and Donna firing

#111855 2 years, 9 months ago
When in 1978 were the Godchaux's initially told they were getting fired? Before New Year's, I am assuming? Like a 2-month warning? Donna seemed really out of it on the DVD.
Chester
More or less in line

Re: Keith and Donna firing

#111860 2 years, 9 months ago
That's a good question. I'm not sure, but wasn't it Keith got fired, and Donna quit? Yeah, they were all pretty lit for that 78 show.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#111861 2 years, 9 months ago
After doing some research, apparently there was no official meeting until after their final show. Even then, it was agreed they would leave. They were both fired and quit. Seems Keith and Donna were a mess, together and in the band.

I really wanna hear the Jan-Feb 79 shows now.
Chester
More or less in line

#111864 2 years, 9 months ago
Yeah, by then, Donna and Keith were really messed up. Wasn't long after that, Keith passed.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#111872 2 years, 9 months ago
They were beating the shit out of each other weren't they?
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#111873 2 years, 9 months ago
That they were. And Donna was destroying hotel rooms.
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#111876 2 years, 9 months ago
I had a dream a long time ago, and I was at Jerry's house. This took place in the present day, and Keith was at Jerry's house laying on a couch out of it, but alive. I was led to believe in the dream that Keith hadn't actually died, but just disappeared, and there he was. Weird dream.

As far as the "firing" goes, I was under the impression it was a mutual agreement they move on, and amicable.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#111878 2 years, 9 months ago
Not good for band chemistry
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Chester
More or less in line

#111881 2 years, 9 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
Not good for band chemistry

Here's an interview with Donna, by David Gans. www.levity.com/gans/Donna.980328.html

Here's an excerpt where she speaks about leaving the band;
"DG: And yet, 14 months after the recording of this "Dick's Picks," you guys were out of the band. What happened?

Donna: Well, like I said, we were really wasted. You get a husband and wife on the road, and that is a prescription for, you name it. It was really hard on us. Coming into such a huge scene, like we did, and being thrust from one place into such a monumental and extended musical expression -- it's not only musical expression, but you get the whole Grateful Dead dynamic. It's just a huge thing. And all of the elements, which I won't go into right now, that were in place during that time -- it was a pretty hefty prescription for Keith and I to be. . . "in demise" <chuckle>, you might say.

And we realized that we had to get out of the band. We talked about it; we said, "We're not quitters. We don't know how to quit." But we knew we that we needed to be out of the band. It was nobody's fault, it's just what was happening. And never would there be any blame there in any way. Everybody's responsible for their own actions. But we knew we needed to be out of the band. Now, they did, too, and I can maybe take this opportunity to clarify. I get questions: "Did you guys quit or were you fired?" And I say very honestly, it was both. Very much both. I left a tour mid-tour once, and I can't remember what that tour was, but I left in the middle of the tour. I just said, I can't do this anymore.

So it was after that tour, then Keith and I did one more tour. And there was a meeting at mine and Keith's house, and the whole band came, and they -- I believe it was Bobby that said, "We think you guys need to do your own musical thing, and it's time for you to go and do what you want to do." And we said, we agree. That's where *we* were at. So it was a very mutual decision. But they did say that. I want to get that on record. There was a meeting at our house, and they let us know it was time, and we let them know we were definitely in agreement <chuckle> that it was time. Therefore, it was never real strained or weird. Keith and I just went about doing what we needed to do and so did they."

Yeah, it was mutual. But it's interesting how it happened. Bobby suggested they need to go and do their own musical thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, Tmglf2, scar1et_f1re, FurthurFlower67, GratefulDad420, Strider1
ICantFindMyFace
Senior Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design.

#111905 2 years, 9 months ago
donna's voice = nails on chalkboard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell, katie mae
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds