• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

Re: TOO vs The Dead vs Furthur

#111822 2 years, 7 months ago
i have never been a fan of DSO, so i wasnt too enthusicastic about the pic of JK for lead, but he has totally owned the lead guitar spot. i will admit, he is a way better fit as than warren or hearring.
i think furthur with billy and mickey would be the best thing ever, and i would pay a bill a show to see that.
but i dont think furthur is gonna do that, they all have too many things goin on.
im happy with what they are doin, all of em. i just wish i could see all four of em on stage again soon.
Chester
More or less in line

#111823 2 years, 7 months ago
Phil and Bob both said in an interview when forming Furthur, the 09 Dead tour was intended as a "one off".
It was never their intention to pursue it as a full time thing.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
ApocalypseDead
Fresh Boarder

#111946 2 years, 7 months ago
I think the biggest difference between Furthur and TOO/Dead, imo and also elluded to already by others) is that with TOO and Dead there was always this elephant in the room where the lead would want to put their stamp on the material without stepping over or on "the legacy" of Jerry. Furthur is attacking the material like it's theirs (and it is really) and it shows.

Also, like someone already mentioned, the x-factor is that with JK he can not only put his stamp on it bu t then also flip the jerry switch and soothe the audience in amazingly familiar ways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GratefulDad420, 23atwell
Steve o
Fresh Boarder

#112098 2 years, 7 months ago
To me, the OtherOnes 1998 was the best post Jerry lineup so far. Furthur is a close 2nd though in my book. I love the sound and the energy Furthur has, my only wish is they would mix up the setlists a little more. At this point, it's hard to complain where Phil and Bobby are still going out and making music. I'll keep going to see them and any other post Jerry projects until they no longer come around. Thanks Bob, Phil and the rest of Furthur for keeping the magic alive.
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

#112124 2 years, 7 months ago
I liked the Other Ones as well. Though I didn't jones for them like I do Furthur.
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
kmoffat
Junior Boarder

#112181 2 years, 7 months ago
I'm also in the Furthur camp by a large margin. To my ears they are by far the most consistently high quality and interesting performers of the Grateful Dead catalog, some new covers and even love a couple of their new songs -- especially Big Bad Blues.

For recent reference, I saw 4 of the '09 Dead shows and enjoyed 2 of them but the other two were very weak and saddening. Fundamentally, I like Warren's sound with the Allmans but not with the Dead.

I will travel to see Furthur as frequently as possible. They are absolutely killing it, are playing a wide variety of material and, frankly, are often performing the music better than the Grateful Dead with Jerry. There, I said it. Nothing's better than the Grateful Dead when Jerry was at his best, but during many periods in the 80s and 90s we all know that wasn't the case.

Enjoy Furthur while you can. We won't have them forever and I, for one, feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to see and hear them. I don't think they're perfect (e.g. would prefer less Phil vocals) but my complaints are minor.
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds