• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Re: TOO vs The Dead vs Furthur

#111425 2 years, 9 months ago
Iriecycle wrote:
Furthur's the best ensemble since Jerry parted. Opinion number one. No one drummer could possibly fill what Bill and Micky did, but Russo does it ridiculously well. Opinion number two. Wuz listening to a couple '88 bootlegs and wondering if JK would be left on stage noodling to hearts content at beginning of drums? I enjoy JK's sound as an homage to Jerry, unique, yet so familiar as to bring about a fine reminiscence. Wondering if Doug Irwin's been consdered/ing a guitar for JK? I know allot of folks are not giving it up sufficiently for John, shit I can't even be bothered to get his last name straight. I sure am psyched for his chops, humility, and capability. Somehow, while I find Jeff C. fully tearing it up, minus Hammond dives, JK's not driving the Jam as much as I'd like. Hard to put my finger on it. Great voice, great playing . . . not Jerry, that's OK . . . still not Jerry, still OK . . . Really thankful for JK. Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes truly great players, ever hear Frogwings sickness. Steve Kimoc, Jerry's pick at a point, another great player, somehow didn't bring me there like Futhur does. Even though I miss Mickey and Bill, I wouldn't want to lose what we have . . . est es problema? No? No.

I like how you note, wondering if JK would be left on stage noodling to hearts content at the begging of drums.

I would love to see that happen. One of the reasons why I want space to come back is because I loved when Jerry comes out solo and noodles. I know JK ain't no Jerry but it would interesting how much furthur he can get into are hearts by doing that. Like I said bring in Mickey with Joe and let's here some drum and space.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#111439 2 years, 9 months ago
No one's mentioned the Dead of '08/'09. Next to Furthur I think this is the best post-Jerry project. Why? By the time this got off the ground with the Penn State show, the core four had put their business/creative differences behind them. On previous tours there were always these tensions simmering -- various members have mentioned that in interviews -- and IMO this definitely inhibited the flow. There also was the sense -- again IMO -- that they were trying too hard to compensate for the lack of Jerry, hence the various vocalists, horns, whatever. This time around I think they just decided to go out and simply play. Which is really what it's all about anyway. The four shows I saw by this incarnation certainly had the most organic, natural vibe. Very satisfying.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#111538 2 years, 9 months ago
I absolutely detested the 2008-9 Dead. Lifeless and sloppy. I really thought they were ready to never get together again.

And then Furthur. And now happiness. I really think Furthur is the best post-Jerry Dead band since the 2002 Other Ones Alpine shows. Between them and NYE 2011 (minus the last "The Dead" tour), things have been good, but not amazing.

In my opinion.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#111543 2 years, 9 months ago
fall 2002 Philly Spectrum 1st night made an impression on me.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#111569 2 years, 9 months ago
patchmyfurthur wrote:
I absolutely detested the 2008-9 Dead. Lifeless and sloppy. I really thought they were ready to never get together again.

And then Furthur. And now happiness. I really think Furthur is the best post-Jerry Dead band since the 2002 Other Ones Alpine shows. Between them and NYE 2011 (minus the last "The Dead" tour), things have been good, but not amazing.

In my opinion.

What shows did you see?
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#111577 2 years, 9 months ago
2009 Philly Spectrum 2nd night wasn't bad, but the DC Verizon show outright sucked.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#111580 2 years, 9 months ago
I saw Penn State (songs were a little rough but the jamming was strong), MSG (great) and the two Spectrum shows. The first night was definitely better. Second set had a large chunk of Anthem of the Sun and plenty of deep space. Maybe things just fell apart after that. Who knows what was going on behind the scenes?
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#111672 2 years, 9 months ago
Regardless of what the future of Furthur or the Dead, Jeff ain't going anywhere cause he is too good to lose.
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#111676 2 years, 9 months ago
I thought, in 09, that the Penn State show was pretty bad. Philly, Chicago, and the Rothbury show I enjoyed. The Philly show second night was the final show at the Spectrum, and they tore it up. The Samson and Delilah encore was really fitting.

In Chicago I had a blast throughout the shows. The second night I ate some mescaline before the show and enjoyed the interesting light show they had. They had a phoenix or something in a big circle over the stage in part of the video sequence, I believe, which was pretty awesome. After the show, I ended up breaking my collarbone in the lot trying some tricks on a skateboard, then lost my friends and got stranded in Chicago for a week so didn't catch them again until Rothbury. I had some friends in Chicago, so found a place to stay, and spent some time with some good friends. I only remember a bit of the Rothbury show because I was a bit spacey from some extra curricular activities I was enjoying at the start of the show. I couldn't complain, though.

I still think Furthur, however, is really hitting the spot for me, especially the more they play together. They have been getting tighter and tighter, and the new guys have been really doing their part to keep it funky. I like the noodling from JK, and Jeff is always on point, throwing in some new amazing solos, in a new way for every jam and he can really color up the transitions with his style.

I am looking forward to all the side projects this year, but I am definitely hoping for a summer tour, because I just can't get enough of Furthur!
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by GratefulDad420. Reason: spelling
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#111694 2 years, 9 months ago
Oh this is no criticism of Furthur. As I've posted elsewhere here, they're my current favorite band by a long shot.

I have thought it interesting -- and probablyt indicative of some bad blood on that '09 tour -- that within six months of the last Dead show Phil and Bobby launch a new band with the lead guitarist of DSO and for all intents and purposes, never look back.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 3.94 seconds