• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Curious George
Fresh Boarder

TOO vs The Dead vs Furthur

#111160 2 years, 8 months ago
I listen to Golden Road regularly, and there is always so much Fluff and Love for Furthur. Now I agree, They're putting on fantastic shows, but how is this different from previous years ?

(Don't mention line ups, Im talking quality and x factor)

I've seen a handful of shows from every tour post Jerry, and heard almost all.

Going back in time, this is what we have heard...

98' = people were excited about Kimock and Karan, not to mention the horns.

00' No phil. This tour was a joke.

02 - everybody raving about "The core 4" suddenly Herring has tons of fan boys, its touted as one of the best Dead tours ever (how so, I dunno)

03' / 04' The Warren Era - again, more fluff. Warren can harmonize, brings a different tone ect. People claim its the best ever.

Furthur - Everybody calling it the best ever.

So what are your thoughts and comparisons ?

my point is every incarnation was said ti be "best ever".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dire Wolf
Strider1
Platinum Boarder
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

Re: TOO vs The Dead vs Furthur

#111165 2 years, 8 months ago
Each incarnation was the best ever, at the time.

The good thing is they keep taking it Furthur!
Takin' it in stride!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Denver Man, Dire Wolf, killwhyT, amusingdeva, rockinbob
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#111166 2 years, 8 months ago
i generally find that I have loved and disliked a number of things from everyone of these incarnations (incantations?) of the music but usually whatever is happening at the time is what I think is the best! And with fuzzy nostalgia from the memories made usually all of the them share that spirit. Furthur has just been great and tons of fun...right from the beginning and keeps getting better so it's easy to sing their praises!
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#111167 2 years, 8 months ago
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#111168 2 years, 8 months ago
After Jerry died I only saw the Dead once in 2003. There was no x-factor for me in '03 or a desire to go see more shows. Since seeing Furthur two years ago I now go to as many shows as I can. There really is no comparison, lets just be happy that they have finally got it right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
Chester
More or less in line

#111169 2 years, 8 months ago
It's constantly evolving. It's easy to imagine each tour can seem greater than the last. I've always prefered the music
happening in front of me, to some music I saw last year. But putting them side by side, I'm most satisfied with Furthur.
Although I was very happy with every incarnation of the group in some way or other.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#111176 2 years, 8 months ago
For me hands down furthur! I've seen every post Jerry band. I think JK makes the difference. Get Mickey in there with Joe and furthur will be at it's best. Bring drums and space back to, never thought I would say that but I miss it.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds, intense8
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#111183 2 years, 8 months ago
Hard for me to put my finger on why, but I personally am most excited to see Furthur than any of the other post Jerry lineups.

A lot of that for me is the song selection, many more songs in rotation. Before furthur I've never heard some of the old stuff. Magic to hear "good morning little school girl" Violee Blues, ........
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Bilbo
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#111227 2 years, 8 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Hard for me to put my finger on why, but I personally am most excited to see Furthur than any of the other post Jerry lineups.

A lot of that for me is the song selection, many more songs in rotation. Before furthur I've never heard some of the old stuff. Magic to hear "good morning little school girl" Violee Blues, ........

We all hear with our own ears, have different experiences, pick up on the little nuances and process them in our own way. After having not seen anyone from GD live for 9 years and thought the Q was great. I also thought the Other Ones were great, same for the Dead (2004) and now Furthur. They've all made me happy and played what I consider memorable shows.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by will work for doses.
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#111274 2 years, 8 months ago
We seem to 'discuss' this on all the different boards every few months. Short version: there is a big schism between Warren and JK. I personally have had a blast at the 14 Furthur shows I've been to and expect to do the same at the next six, come on April. But I seriously want to hear Drumz/Space and Billy/Mickey and I always thought Warren fucking killed it. No disrespect to Furthur but to quote a fellow at a show last summer' I wish it was Billy hittin them drums'. I agree. I just don't like $100 tickets and all the trash that the big tours attract. I never saw a show between November 91 until summer 2004.
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds