• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
theuch24
Junior Boarder

Deer Creek Story

#111129 2 years, 6 months ago
I was born in 1994 and my dad used to go on tours all the time from the mid 80s up until i was born. So we lived in indiana (still do) in 95 they did a two night run at deer creek. My dad who at the time stopped touring to start his family, took me to the first show and we had tickets for the 2nd show. so my dad took me to the show, i was about 1 year old wearing a dancing bear shirt. We went into town where all the deadheads were staying to see the scene. I don't remember any of this but i hear this story almost every family reunion etc. My dad worked for fedex at the time and he somehow found out where jerry was staying at in Indianapolis. So we went to the hotel to see if we can get a peak at the man. So we went to this hotel downtown and my dad was holding me and at that time i had a steal your face shirt on. and here comes jerry walking out of the hotel and my dad went crazy so i was on my dads back and jerry asked if he could hold me. And my dad went ape shit freaking out almost dropping me and so I was held by jerry fucking garcia... and then we went to the show and the gate crashers incident happened. I just thought i would share that with you guys
I gotta get down, I gotta get down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, PartPat
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

Re: Deer Creek Story

#111150 2 years, 6 months ago
Wow that's pretty cool. I bet you were one of the last babies he ever held....

I had tickets for those shows- i was living in CT at the time and decided to skip it because of lack of funds and job situation. Glad I did.

That whole two days were a massivve clusterfuck for a lot of people. Down the road from the venue at a makeshift campsite, some kids were on some raised platform with people dancing on it and below it and the thing collpased and hurt a lot of people, maybe even killing some. And the death threat.... who the fuck would threaten Jerry Garcia? Sheesh.... this darkness had to give.
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

#111156 2 years, 6 months ago
the deck collapse happened outside of st louis, iirc...and call me crazy, but jerry doesn't exactly seem like the type of guy who 1) would have just walked out of the hotel by himself, especially in 1995 and 2) would ask some random dude if he could hold his baby

survey says:

Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by spring mountain high.
theuch24
Junior Boarder

#111157 2 years, 6 months ago
I like to think i'm one of the last babies he ever held! haha but that's crazy! Indiana has sure changed from those days those! I bet if the boys come back here everybody would forget that the 95 show ever happened! (:
theuch24
Junior Boarder

#111161 2 years, 6 months ago
spring mountain high... i'm pretty sure there was other people with him and from what my dad is telling me, he struck a conversation with him about the dead before he asked (:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds