• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

Re: Blair Jackson: Chimenti best keyboardist?

#111019 2 years, 9 months ago
For me hands down if it ain't Pig, it's gotta be Jeff. EVERY key player has had a significant role during their time, but for me personally, it's now Jeff as his playing is just mesmerizing and so unique on certain things and every song he plays, he never misses anything ( no bum notes ) and only enhances the songs with bursts of jazz, classical, boogie boogie or straight up blues.
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#111022 2 years, 9 months ago
will work for doses wrote:
Denver Man wrote:
I have a love hate relationship with Blair.

Please explain, if you don't mind. When he started publishing the Golden Road I was a bit skeptical, but I got to know him and thought his heart was in the right place. The Golden Road was a great magazine and gave us information you couldn't get anywhere else. I also met some cool people through it.

Ok alright, "hate" is probably the wrong word. I was going to go into a long rant but I don't feel like starting a Blair bashing here, I don't like doing that. Sorry I said anything.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#111023 2 years, 9 months ago
Jeff is the best. Brent is my favorite. Pigpen's vocals and attitude are dearly missed.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: strangerinboulder, FurthurFlower67, rockinbob
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#111037 2 years, 9 months ago
I came of age during the Brent era so for me the best live Dead I saw was with him on the keys. While I enjoyed the GD in the 90's, in my opinion they never really recovered from Brent's death. Having said that, Jeff has now been the longest running keyboardist iin the GD spinoff scene. He is Brent's equal in the talent department. Is he better? Hard to say. Nothing equaled Brent's energy on stage, and I loved his originals and covers, something that Jeff doesn't provide. Jeff is the best keyboardist in the current jamband scene, in my opinion. He really does rock.
Without love day to day insanity's king
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#111049 2 years, 9 months ago
I've been saying Jeff is the MVP! Jeff is so versatile in his playing which I feel makes him the best of the best! He always shines so bright through the music!

I also did not know they didn't let Vince use a B3 or grand piano...I've always wondered why he was stuck behind that little keyboard all the time. Such a shame.

And yea Pigpen was their founding keyboard player but I think of him more as a front man. And harmonica player! Woo! Love you RON!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruby_claire
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#111052 2 years, 9 months ago
katie mae wrote:
Denver Man wrote:
I have a love hate relationship with Blair.

I suppose if Jeff is always playing straight, without the aid of drugs, I'd give him the edge because he's doing what he's doing with a clear head, which is damn impressive to me.

doing something well and/or better sober is impressive? really?! i'm not entirely sure how to interpret that?
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#111053 2 years, 9 months ago
My Favorite is Jeff C . Although I loved the Vocals that Brent brought to the Keys as well. Furthur Flower and I have discussed this before. We are both huge Jeff fans

*disclaimer:
*Since I am young and never got a chance to see any other keys, I must say that my opionions on this come from shows I have seen bias.*

Furthurmore can't wait to hear the Bruce/Bob shows.Always have liked Bruce.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#111056 2 years, 9 months ago
if you all wanna here some real funky shit from jeff checkout these shows:

couldn't find a link for the first set so there's only the King Crimson cover below but I suggest going out finding both these albums and listening to the extensively if you haven't already...super cool show!

here is the link for the rest of animals (i can't get just the link to paste without the video popping up so copy and paste from the within the brackets.
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWKHokq7UI4&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL7E6755CEFC1586D1]

The album info can be found here:
www.lesclaypool.com/discography/frogbrigade/
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Dire Wolf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#111094 2 years, 9 months ago
a nice read. definitely things i've thought about. for me, all GD is based on recordings as i wasn't there. when i got into the GD it was chronological for the most part. i got into it thru american beauty then went back to the beginning and forward to the end, utilizing the box sets of studio albums i had at the time. knowing nothing but noticing the different keyboard players on different albums eventually opened up a door. a door of sounds, thought, ideas, arguments, etc. they were all good players. when it comes down to it, these are my thoughts: when it comes to all around best player, i'd have to say brent and it's because of his ability not only playing so well and on different mediums, but to play from the soul and also his brilliant vocals. chimenti is an allstar, and in terms of technical skill and style, he's better, but he doesn't sing. regardless of brents classical training, he didn't have the versatility that chimenti exhibits on a nightly basis, without hard drugs. the only things i've seen or heard of him to be using are alcohol and marijuana. as blair mentions in the article, i too, love keiths early work. it does more than complement the overall sound. eventually due to drugs and whatever else he loses that fire and burns out. pigpen goes without saying. the original frontman. he was essential in their early sound. it's a shame he checked out so early. his presence was strong, and he could captivate a crowd. vince i am not the biggest fan of but once he becomes the sole keyboardist, he steps it up. in the article he says vince was forced onto the stuff he was playing. that seems so odd that they wouldn't want him to be playing multiple sounds. i always thought that was the way he wanted to be setup. hornsby and tc were good additions during their respective time periods but neither lasted long enough to really throw into the contest. and of course, this is all just my opinion.

edit: direwolf---i LOVE the flying frog brigade....holy mackeral too
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by wlewis.
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#111388 2 years, 9 months ago
I love Jeff C.
I was so happy to see this article, since he really is a major part of the magic that is Furthur!
It irked me no end this summer at the big venues when JC would be tearing it up on keys, but the person filming video for the big screen would have the camera focused on Bob or Phil.

Since JK switched sides, the interplay between Jeff & John has gotten even more sublime - I can't ever get enough of it!!
At the end of the Golden Road article, in the comment section, someone called jb really summed up Jeff's fabulousness
way better than I ever could.
As far as the other keyboardists go, y'all can debate musical merits etc- that's cool, I really enjoy reading everyone's thoughts !
For me tho, it seems that the only thing constant in life is change and I am all for embracing and moving FURTHUR
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds