• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Blair Jackson: Chimenti best keyboardist?

#110912 2 years, 6 months ago
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: Blair Jackson: Chimenti best keyboardist?

#110922 2 years, 6 months ago
I have a love hate relationship with Blair.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: LBDowling
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#110925 2 years, 6 months ago
Denver Man wrote:

Please explain, if you don't mind. When he started publishing the Golden Road I was a bit skeptical, but I got to know him and thought his heart was in the right place. The Golden Road was a great magazine and gave us information you couldn't get anywhere else. I also met some cool people through it.
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#110928 2 years, 6 months ago
Denver Man wrote:

So do I. Any time I have disagreed with him on Dead.net, he's come back and agreed with me, then gone back and forth some more. He seems like a nice guy but I personally find him to be wishy washy.

That said, I feel that Jeff and Brent are/were the best keyboardists thus far. Jeff is a monster. I suppose if Jeff is always playing straight, without the aid of drugs, I'd give him the edge because he's doing what he's doing with a clear head, which is damn impressive to me. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the true musical leader of Furthur is Jeff because no matter what's going on, he has the ability to lead the band in any direction.

ETA: I am also always impressed that Jeff never puts out a bad show. Bobby can screw up the worst of the worst, but Jeff always delivers the goods. He is a master at kicking as and taking names. I like that.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by katie mae.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharicee
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#110938 2 years, 6 months ago
Without taking anything away from Jeff, who is worderful and a joy, I would like to put in a good word for Keith, especially in the beginning of his tenure. 1971 thru 1974 were very strong years to which Keith contributed. Bruce Hornsby was never a full time member, though he did play for about two years. He also used to show up when the boys played in Washington DC. Jeff is a very creative player who keeps things ineresting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: will work for doses
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#110940 2 years, 6 months ago
katie mae wrote:
Denver Man wrote:

So do I. Any time I have disagreed with him on Dead.net, he's come back and agreed with me, then gone back and forth some more. He seems like a nice guy but I personally find him to be wishy washy.

That said, I feel that Jeff and Brent are/were the best keyboardists thus far. Jeff is a monster. I suppose if Jeff is always playing straight, without the aid of drugs, I'd give him the edge because he's doing what he's doing with a clear head, which is damn impressive to me. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the true musical leader of Furthur is Jeff because no matter what's going on, he has the ability to lead the band in any direction.

ETA: I am also always impressed that Jeff never puts out a bad show. Bobby can screw up the worst of the worst, but Jeff always delivers the goods. He is a master at kicking as and taking names. I like that.

On the basis of what you said about Blair Jackson you have a love/hate relationship with him?
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#110945 2 years, 6 months ago
If you read BJ's post, everyone gets their due. Including Keith and Vince.

I have to give Brent the edge because of his vocals, but I sure do dig Jeff C.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#111012 2 years, 6 months ago
Blair writes interesting articles, but in reality there is no "best" musician, only favorites.

My favorite of the bunch is Brent, but to me that doesn't lesson the contributions of the others.

Jeff's great. Sometimes I wish he would play more fills.

I think the reason I wasn't crazy about Vince wasn't his musical ability, but the sounds and tone that he had which were as Blair said 'cheezy". He was a great player and his story is tragic.

On tapes, I like Keith from 71-74. After that he wasn't so interesting. In the GD movie, he plays some great stuff.

I dig TC's stuff and Pigpen, while limited musically, played some really cool fills and such.

The other studio keyboard players that people may forget are Merle Saunders who overdubbed parts on Europe 72 and Skull and Roses, Howard Wales who was on American Beauty, and Garcia, who played piano on American Beauty, his solo albums Garcia, Reflections, and various recordings such as Hunter's Tiger Rose, etc. There's a Fillmore East show where you can hear on the recording that Garcia played keys on To Lay Me Down - the keyboard parts sound like the studio recording which he played, and there's no lead guitar.

While on the subject of keyboard players, Jorma Kaukonen told a story of when the Furthur Festival was touring with Ratdog and Hot Tuna and others. Johnnie Johnson played with Ratdog, but would sit out on the songs that weren't his style of blues and R&B. The Furthur Fest would typically have an all-star jam at the end of the show with the various bands collaborating. Jorma wasn't playing in a jam but was backstage and the band's jamming Dark Star and Johnson says to him "they're still tuning up"
These are the good old days!!
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#111014 2 years, 6 months ago
I noticed yesterday that Phil is also credited with Playing the piano on American beauty. Now I'm curious what songs Jerry and phil played piano on. But i suppose it makes sense pre Keith.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#111015 2 years, 6 months ago
My FAVORITE was Brent, especially once he became more outgoing.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds