• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ICantFindMyFace
Senior Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design.

today a young lady (13-16yrs) asked me

#110889 2 years, 6 months ago
if those "care bears" on the back of my car were gay pride.

sigh

nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wundurland
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

Re: today a young lady (13-16yrs) asked me

#110897 2 years, 6 months ago
you should have told her they were gay pride stickers she might have been gay herself and needing an adult to come out to. when you told her what they really were she probably went home and cried her little gay self to sleep thinking shes the only one. shame on you. never denie your gay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#110908 2 years, 6 months ago
funny stuff, I see chicks at my school with tiedye bear t shirts... makes me want to vomit
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#110911 2 years, 6 months ago
Well, in a sense they are. There have always been lots of gay and lesbian deadheads, and we are all one big counter culture rainbow family. Another reason a lot of kids have come out to SF over the decades is because they can be who they really are, away from their families and towns. For all we know rainbow pride spread out from the Haight to the adjacent Castro in the '70s.
Jasper
Senior Boarder

#110981 2 years, 6 months ago
I'm in medicine and sometimes wear a pair of bear socks to work. The kids I see and such will often comment on them and as I see a lot of Pediatrics they figure I am just trying to be kid friendly (which I am any way). I do not say much. I always like it when a patient knows what they are and even better with the history of "the bear" and the potions he mixed! It's a great way to share a few smiles with other travelers on this road of life we are on…..though I know longer partake I can smile fondly back on the days>>>>>>>>>>>

j
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharicee
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#110985 2 years, 6 months ago
thebear.org/bearstory.html

The Bear Story

I am often asked about the origin of the so-called "dancing bears" which were commonly seen around GD shows.

The little bears found in the form of stickers and stuffed dolls are taken from Bob Thomas' album cover art.

typeface.bear.jpg

The photo to the right shows the source of the design of the bear motif on Bear's Choice. It is a 36 point lead type-slug of a generic bear, a standardised figure from a printer's font of type, which particular font, I don't know. Bob Thomas gave this one to me and said it was the inspiration for the circle of little multi-coloured marching bears on the back cover of Bear's Choice.

I guess you may have realised by now that the bears on the album cover are not really "dancing". I don't know why people think they are, their positions are quite obviously those of a high-stepping march. You can also see what some people think are "bibs", are actually a sylization of the chest fur of the bear.

This generic design has been used in several commercial logos over the years. One of the best known is the ubiquitous American company, Bear Wheel Alignment, whose logo is almost an exact duplicate of this little type-character. Bob made significant changes in the basic design when he derived it for the album.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by GratefulDad420. Reason: adding picture
The following user(s) said Thank You: killwhyT, Wundurland
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#111009 2 years, 6 months ago
Note to self: do not place rainbow bear sticker on Jeep bumber.
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#111021 2 years, 6 months ago
The bears for me represent HAPPINESS, and I wear them proudly not giving a shit what anyone may think. I constantly get compliments on my winter Bear Hat and in doing so explain where they are from, what they mean, and then it's time to talk the music. I appreciated the article on the origin from Grateful Dad, I have read that and it's cool to re read. Look for me in the spring with my bright patch jacket loaded with those Dancing or marching bears...
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#111024 2 years, 6 months ago
ICantFindMyFace wrote:
if those "care bears" on the back of my car were gay pride.

sigh

nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

Are you talking about "Care Bears", or the "Owsley Bears"? There is a huge difference.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#111029 2 years, 6 months ago
Bakes wrote:
Note to self: do not place rainbow bear sticker on Jeep bumber.

I joke. I like the bears. They are iconic, but they were never something I wore, rather something that remind me of a lit of good memories. Gay pride isn't one of those Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Time to create page: 0.73 seconds