• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
noahrsg
Fresh Boarder

Furthur Concerts Recreated From Fan Footage

#110888 2 years, 9 months ago
A new music startup called "Switchcam" is algorithmically recreating concerts by stitching together fan footage. The video is all synced up to the exact second so that you can switch camera angles and still be in the same moment in the concert.

Check out what we did with Furthur at the Tower Theater switchcam.com/event/furthur-tower-theatre-2011/?c=b_furthur

PS I most definitely work for Switchcam, and most definitely LOVE good music. We would like to get some honest feedback from music lovers about the site. Thank you!

-Noah
katie mae
Junior Boarder

Re: Furthur Concerts Recreated From Fan Footage

#110892 2 years, 9 months ago
noahrsg wrote:
A new music startup called "Switchcam" is algorithmically recreating concerts by stitching together fan footage. The video is all synced up to the exact second so that you can switch camera angles and still be in the same moment in the concert.

Check out what we did with Furthur at the Tower Theater switchcam.com/event/furthur-tower-theatre-2011/?c=b_furthur

PS I most definitely work for Switchcam, and most definitely LOVE good music. We would like to get some honest feedback from music lovers about the site. Thank you!

-Noah

Haven't looked at your site yet but I'm wondering if you get permission from the people whose videos you're using - do you? Because I wouldn't want my videos pulled off of, say, You Tube, and used for a company's gain. Just being honest.
Chester
More or less in line

#110893 2 years, 9 months ago
This is an interesting idea. Depends on the quality of the video I guess. As for the permission issue, that's a good point.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
noahrsg
Fresh Boarder

#110895 2 years, 9 months ago
Right, we are only using videos on YouTube that are set to Public. All the videographers that we have talked to (about 500) really like what we are doing and we do put them in the credits which in turn links through to their YouTube channel, in turn giving them more publicity. We see it as a win-win.

In terms of a "companies gain" we are completely free and are running ZERO ads on the site. YouTube is making millions a day from ads...just something to think about...

Thanks for the feedback!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#110896 2 years, 9 months ago
sounds like a fantastic idea and I was at the Tower so it would be exciting to see.

However, when I had to join using a Facebook link I stopped.

I believe Facebook is an invasion of privacy that leaves an easy to lift lifetime fingerprint on everything you do, so I choose not to participate.

As to the right to cobble Youtube footage, there is no copyright/ownership on that stuff, so I don't think there is any legal problem. That would only occur if you used copyrighted concert footage. Like baseball games.....the direct written consent blah, blah, blah
The following user(s) said Thank You: GratefulDad420
volare
Senior Boarder

#110898 2 years, 9 months ago
My guess is that if you read the fine print of the user agreement you signed with youtube, you will find that you already gave them permission, unless you expressly revoke it, to let your video be embedded on other sites.

As to my opinions of the technology itself. Seems like an interesting idea, but not necessarily something that I would use after the novelty wore off.

One suggestion though, perhaps pick the best quality sound recording and allow that to play regardless of which video footage is being used. That way, there is not a dramatic shift in sound quality as I change video angles.
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#110901 2 years, 9 months ago
This is an interesting idea, but I find most videos pretty difficult to watch with the vibrations and blurriness and all. I tend to look for some videos right after shows, but then not so much at all. If this was something immediately available after a show, that might be something, but as Volare says, the audio is the real deal killer. Synching up to a SB with the bets video available might make it more watchable/listenable, but then there are issue there. I really think that a tour highlights with the best video and audio would be a popular bet. I would definitely tune in to that.

Keep the idea going, it definitely has possibilities.
noahrsg
Fresh Boarder

#110902 2 years, 9 months ago
Wow, thanks for all the great feedback guys. Being able to pin down a core audio and switch around the video has definitely been a feature that we plan on implementing. I also think that the tour highlights is a really great suggestion...maybe people dont really care about recreating the concerts. Thanks for the response and please KEEP IT COMING!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#110909 2 years, 9 months ago
There is a healthy population of couch tour people here. Those who like to listen to a stream of the Furthur shows they can't be at. Lots of times the sound quality is mediocre, at best. But that doesn't matter, especially when there is a chatroom where we can all experience it together.

On some of the occasions when we've assembled there is no stream to listen to, so someone will put together a "virtual" concert by finding youtube versions of the songs that we know are being played at the concert.

Essentially, that is what you are doing on a much more sophisticated level.

So for that, I salute you.
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#110914 2 years, 9 months ago
If I can use it without signing a deal with the devil (facebook), then I'll check it out!
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by GratefulDad420.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluetrainsugaree
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds