• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Taking things Furthur at work....

#110794 2 years, 9 months ago
classic! glad to hear your story

little quick story, not the same but...when i was about 16 y/o i worked at a subway. i worked with all deadheads. we would sit there and play tapes and cd's constantly, burning in the cooler/freezer and pretty much jam around all day long, it was my favorite job ever, to this day. well, "the dead" were coming to darien lake that summer and of course everybody was asking off. the owner (who was totally cool but knew nothing about GD or related) kept saying we all couldn't have off yada yada...so we're all kind of scared/nervous who is going to have to stay and work. when i say it was all deadheads, i mean all deadheads. about a week before the show as the schedule comes out. there is nothing written in for the particular day of the show. everybody is wondering and our boss is grinning ear to ear. he gave us an ultimatuum. we all stay and work throughout the day, or he shuts down the store and we take him to the show.

quite an experience! he had a blast. fast forward 7-8 years....i ran into him at the orlando show in the spring this year. totally bizarre. or totally normal?
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daisy Mae, amusingdeva, GratefulDad420
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#110831 2 years, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
classic! glad to hear your story

little quick story, not the same but...when i was about 16 y/o i worked at a subway. i worked with all deadheads. we would sit there and play tapes and cd's constantly, burning in the cooler/freezer and pretty much jam around all day long, it was my favorite job ever, to this day. well, "the dead" were coming to darien lake that summer and of course everybody was asking off. the owner (who was totally cool but knew nothing about GD or related) kept saying we all couldn't have off yada yada...so we're all kind of scared/nervous who is going to have to stay and work. when i say it was all deadheads, i mean all deadheads. about a week before the show as the schedule comes out. there is nothing written in for the particular day of the show. everybody is wondering and our boss is grinning ear to ear. he gave us an ultimatuum. we all stay and work throughout the day, or he shuts down the store and we take him to the show.

quite an experience! he had a blast. fast forward 7-8 years....i ran into him at the orlando show in the spring this year. totally bizarre. or totally normal?
ya transformed him good job
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: GratefulDad420
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#110834 2 years, 9 months ago
Love that story W lewis.

I have work in a "professional" field were it isn't "cool" to be a dead head lucky for me the President of my company was an 80's head.

I bring him in newer releases and he gives me access to his vast I tunes collection, that I could never afford. So I am lucky that way, he isn't completely stoked when I tell him about taking time off to go to shows, but he is easily reminded that he is just jealous.

Furthurmore the IT company could use a little more convincing, my firewall blocks me from just about everthing and there is a spacific setting for "The Grateful Dead" (haters) -it just a good damn thing that the band is called furthur now ~lol
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#110854 2 years, 9 months ago
In 1987 I was working for a US Senator and I was seeing a show at Cap Centre and I saw my boss in the hallway and I turned and ran because the last thing I wanted was for him to see me in that shape.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#110913 2 years, 9 months ago
Webster's should just change the spelling of further to furthur because furthur took it further, and still takes it furthur, I mean further, oh y'know wut i means
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#110930 2 years, 9 months ago
When I was in college in the early 80's I was working as secretary for a small company President and Vice-President. When I mentioned to them I had just seen the Dead for the first time it all came out about them being hardcore Deadheads in upstate NY in the 60's. They told me a bunch of wild stories and gave me a whole bunch of vintage early Dead LP's to listen to as I had no Dead albums at home. When spring came around it came as not much of a surprise to them when they got the phone call from me telling them I had got swept up on tour at my 2nd show and would not be returning to my former life in Queens. They wished me well with complete understanding. I always took it as another amazing piece of sync in my life, such as being born in 1962, dawn of the age of Aquarius and a watershed year; being brought to live in NYC in 1968 by my mother; hanging out all the time in St. Mark's Place neighborhood, around the corner from the former Fillmore East and so on with somany other odd little synchronicities. We are indeed everywhere. My first inkling of this came at the Philly Spectrum shows '83 where the giant billboard ads encircling the arena hallway were soley comprised of alternating Red Rose Tetley Tea ads and Budweiser This Bud's for You. I thought it was either an amazing coincidence, or that some Deadheads somehow had arranged this sequence of ads specifically for the Grateful Dead run there.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Daisy Mae. Reason: typo
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds