• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
theothrone
Senior Boarder
-

Best audio set up for listening to soundboards

#110572 2 years, 8 months ago
Not sure where the right place to post this is so hopefully not doing this in the wrong section, but as a younger head was wondering what the ideal audio set up would be for listening to soundboard recordings? How can i get the best sound, high quality speakers?, or just specific audio settings? Came across a nice extra 100gigs of 70's dead and wanna listen through it the best way i can, thanks for your time!
it's an obsession but it's pleasing
volare
Senior Boarder

Re: Best audio set up for listening to soundboards

#110584 2 years, 8 months ago
there are no audio settings which will make up for poor equipment. get the best stereo system which fits in your budget. (conventional wisdom is that the speakers are the most important component.) I use an onkyo a-9555 amp and some kilpsch rb-81 speakers which work well for me. but there are millions of possible combos based on how much money you have to burn.

if a new stereo system isn't in the budget, high quality headphones can provide awesome sound without breaking the bank.

finally, i would try to get music in a lossless format, like FLAC or Apple Lossless, as opposed to mp3, that way you are starting with the most complete digital file.
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by volare.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#110604 2 years, 8 months ago
Dark room, candles, comfy pillows on the ground, snacks, beverages and party favors within easy reach, a special friend or two and your set.

Listening alone. All of the above sans friends with a good set of headphones
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#110642 2 years, 8 months ago
I always keep my settings on 'normal' or 'automatic' rather then choosing options like 'rock' or 'country' ...... a lot of systems have options like that but I figure keeping normal settings will keep closer to the original sound. Nothing beats soundboards in my opinion and you can't go wrong even with a cheaper half way decent system or some headphones like someone else mentioned
volare
Senior Boarder

#110674 2 years, 8 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
I always keep my settings on 'normal' or 'automatic' rather then choosing options like 'rock' or 'country' ...... a lot of systems have options like that but I figure keeping normal settings will keep closer to the original sound.

100% agreed, as soon as you start letting your system mess with the sound, you are adding degradation. listen to it as pure as possible!
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
theothrone
Senior Boarder
-

#110769 2 years, 8 months ago
Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice. @volar, ill have to look into some nice speakers and stuff, at the moment i have some extra money from christmas and a recent birthday and just scored a section of my basement to do whatever with so im sure i could get some sort of a nice set up going on down there.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by theothrone. Reason: typo
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#110801 2 years, 8 months ago
if you invest in nice computer speakers then you can listen to sbd's from any year on archive

my computer is pretty much the only source I use for music, but any cd or anything can be played to along with internet music...
Chester
More or less in line

#110824 2 years, 8 months ago
For personal listening, a nice pair of headphones, or some good computer speakers like MushroomMan said.
I just got a real nice set of computer speakers for 50 bucks. Sounds awesome! But if you really want to
spend the cash, the sky's the limit. I have a friend who just paid 13,000 dollars for a turntable. He has some
comparable equiptment that set him back close to 30 grand. But he has the cash, and he likes his music
perfect. You really don't need to go that far. You can get some beautiful equiptment for under 1000. Also
be careful with anything nice in the basement. That can be damp and that's not good for high end stereo's.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Cosmic Arkie
Junior Boarder

#110825 2 years, 8 months ago
All my GD and Furthur music is on my Ipod Classic. Audio from the Ipod into my Insignia stereo receiver and thru my good ole JBL speakers works just fine. I can plug my Ipod Touch into the amp and listen to The Grateful Dead channel on Sirius or gdradio.net all day, all night 24/7. As mentioned, good headphones are a grate way to go as well. I usually end up listening on my Ipod Touch with earbuds via my wi-fi connection most evenings and weekends while doing other things around the house and in the yard during nice weather. The Ipod Classic is for walking, and traveling. It also plugs into my car stereo system.
All my music is backed up on CDs and on my computer. Play Dead!
theothrone
Senior Boarder
-

#111399 2 years, 8 months ago
awesome thanks for all the advice, i know my friends dad fixes up and sells speakers so ill see if he has anything sitting around, but i think im going to go with mushroom mans advice with the computer speakers because that's where i play the majority of my music off of
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds