• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
volare
Senior Boarder

A Song of Ice & Fire

#110407 2 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone know what the relationship beween this series "A Song of Ice & Fire" by George R.R. Martin and the band is?

After reading that the NYE show was inspired by the books, I picked up "The Games of Thrones."

Already in the first chapter there has been a Direwolf and a Weirwood tree.....is it a coicidence or are they intentional references?
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by volare. Reason: typo
Wundurland
Expert Boarder

Re: A Song of Ice & Fire

#110414 2 years, 9 months ago
I'm not sure why they chose to go with that theme, but I'd like to know if there is an answer. I've read the first two books in the series. The dragon was so bad ass. We were right below it.
...was staring at the little blotch of sunshine with a special intensity, considering lying down in it.

-JD Salinger
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#110416 2 years, 9 months ago
sounds like it was just inspiration for the dragon itself not so much the theme of the evening...it was the end of the year of the rabbit and the beginning of the year of the dragon after all

direwolfs appear throughout a number of places too and were an actual living animal at one point in evolution
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Dire Wolf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wundurland
Chester
More or less in line

#110418 2 years, 9 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
direwolfs appear throughout a number of places too and were an actual living animal at one point in evolution

Yes. It became extinct about 10,000 years ago. From Wikipedia;
"The Dire wolf (Canis dirus) is an extinct carnivorous mammal of the genus Canis, and was most common in North America and South America from the Irvingtonian stage to the Rancholabrean stage of the Pleistocene epoch living 1.80 Ma – 10,000 years ago, existing for approximately 1.79 million years."
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dire Wolf, SunshineSue
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#110422 2 years, 9 months ago
now that's 600lbs. of sin!
volare
Senior Boarder

#110429 2 years, 9 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
sounds like it was just inspiration for the dragon itself not so much the theme of the evening...it was the end of the year of the rabbit and the beginning of the year of the dragon after all

I was basing the question on this from the main page:

This year’s midnight moment was envisioned and designed by Kathy Sunderland from Furthur’s management team and was inspired by A Song of Ice & Fire ~ a five book fantasy series by George R. R. Martin the first novel of which has been depicted in the recent HBO series The Games of Thrones.

Apparently all the characters in the skit were based on characters from the novels. Not sure about the dragon. (whose year, of course, only starts with Chinese New Year, not the Gregorian Calendar New Year.)
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#110432 2 years, 9 months ago
but the Chinese new year doesn't start til the 23rd...and sadly i do not have a birthday Furthur tour to go on or Chinese New Years show to attend so i guess they had to get it in somehow

haven't read any fantasy books lately so the names of the characters mentioned was initially lost on me...ThankS!
volare
Senior Boarder

#110436 2 years, 9 months ago
I am probably reading into the names in the book because of the theme of the NYE show, but I am on the alert and as soon as a Jerrytroll or Philorc show up in the story, I'll be sure there is some connection....
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#110460 2 years, 9 months ago
Probably a coincidence, but I must say when I went home last night and put on a southpark episode from netflix, the first episode of the Halloween dvd had chewbacca all over the place.

~Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#110461 2 years, 9 months ago
synchronocity
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds