• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

Re: Younger deadheads

#110299 2 years, 7 months ago
wlewis wrote:
for the longest time i truly thought i was the youngest one in the venue....

i started seeing shows 10 years ago when i was 14. of course there were little kids there with their folks but when i went to these shows it was pretty obvious i was one of the youngest ones without their parents there. i've hung out with many older folks in fact i've done more shows with people over the age of 50 than under. once furthur really started getting underway, i noticed an evolution of the scene. i was no longer the youngest one walking around. i suddenly had years and experience within. this community has no boundaries with age. the music affects your life or it doesn't. fortunate for all of us, it does.

now there are a lot of folks younger than me. it's a great spread of folks all around.

The first time I saw Phish I was the oldest one there. It was weird. I wasn't THAT old either! jeez, I was still in college! Then I saw the janitor walk by and he was older than me (the show was in a college gym).
These are the good old days!!
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#110300 2 years, 7 months ago
theuch24 wrote:
I'm 17, and a huge deadhead and i was at the Indianapolis show, the only one i caught on the fall tour because of school and i live in indiana, and i was thinking to myself and talking to a couple of my buddies that we might be the youngest deadheads in the building, and this older deadhead who saw jerry with the dead told me that we weren't and we might be the youngest deadheads that actually go to shows for the music, i know people bring their kids to shows but we were there on our own. And i thought about it that i know that the older deadheads respect me and my buddies going to shows because its passing down the torch and when all the original deadheads are gone there's gonna be some generation keeping the flame going. But i was at deer creek in 95 with my dad and technically i've seen the grateful dead but in the mindstate of being 1 years old i don't remember jack shit. But i love how the older deadheads respect the younger ones and i honestly have the most respect for the older ones. But this is just a post for the older deadheads to thank you for the respect that you give me and my friends at shows (:

I was 17 when I first saw the GD. It took a couple shows for me to fully grasp the experience, and my 3rd show I ended up alone in the lot early before showtime because I got there early to buy a ticket and long story longer I ended up spending time with 2 older heads from NJ who were so nice to me it changed my life. "We can share what we got of yours..." I had been to lots of rock concerts but strangers were never so generous and friendly at other concerts. They played the first "bootleg" tapes I ever heard, fed me food, offered me a Heineken, were generous in other ways, and told me stories of the shows they went to, etc.

Now when I go to shows I see young folks and it reminds me of those days. The scene at some of the what I call the "far-way-from-the-big-cities" venues are really no different than back then, minus the cellphones and the internet etc. My theory has been that when the show is away from a major urban center, then the people there are more likely to be really into the music and not just local folks out for a night.

It's great to see young people into the music, and this is why I feel there will always be deadheads. Like the song goes...New ones coming as the old ones go...
These are the good old days!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo
philisgod
Junior Boarder

#110306 2 years, 7 months ago
If your young and there for the music....then good for you.

BUT...If you're a young wook...begging for spare change, doing smack in the lot, leaving your dog in the car on a hot day, crashing the gates, selling bunk, littering all over the lot, starting fights, selling nitros, and/or in any way only there for the scene...PLEASE, stay the fuck home.

I know, older folks can be doing the same shit I stated above.....true. They can just stay the fuck home too. But from my experience, its the young heads that get caught up in all the festivities and just have no idea why the festivities are going on in the first place.

I'm the first one to be friendy to anyone at a show, regardless of thier age. BUT I have seen a lot of BS as well and just want to puke sometimes atthe antics.

And to me, I guess this goes more for the scene than inside the show....I mean if you're inside at least you care that much.

ok, rant over.

Glad you youngins are enjoying the music....the words and rythem are the bricks and mortar of what we do.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by philisgod.
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

#110360 2 years, 7 months ago
Your heart is in it Brother! Welcome aboard! Hey, you got to and hopefully get to see more of Phil and Bob creating magic

together....that speaks volumes!

"You know it's gonna get stranger, so let's get on with the show, let's go...."
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Bilbo.
theuch24
Junior Boarder

#110532 2 years, 7 months ago
I appreciate all the kind words! I would go to more shows if i could but i graduated high school early and getting a job moving skids into trucks at my dads warehouse and hopefully i can save up enough money to get on the summer tour hopefully if they tour in the summer which im not worried about them not touring. But thank you for all the kind words! And yes we are everywhere and the furthur show i went to was my 2nd, i was at the chicago show in 10. I brought my buddy who is a starting deadhead knowing a a decent amount of songs but i brought another buddy of mine who had never really listened to the dead only when he was over at my house and he was hooked right as we got in the parking lot. Before i know it i feel like im gonna have a good amount of shows under my belt if everything works out! thanks for all the kind words! (:
I gotta get down, I gotta get down.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#110779 2 years, 7 months ago
I'm 42 and I went to shows with a guy 10 years older than I, but he taught me the rules of being a deadhead- you must respect others and when you get your freak on, it should never interfer with someone else getting their freak on. as long as you do those two things, you'll find we will treat you as a fellow freak - age has nothing to do with it.

Around 1993 I was out in the hall spinning (as I often did) and the guy next to me was this late 50 year old guy dancing away. Next to him was, I thought, his mom, who must have been in her 70s. She couldn't dance all that much due to her age, but she slowly swirled around and spun her hands in the air a little.... they were in the midst of the younger crowd and loved it....
deadhed4life34
Junior Boarder

#110806 2 years, 7 months ago
im 19 and i have been lucky enough to have a grate father who got me into the Grateful Dead at a very young age. i have been to 128 Furthur shows and i have met so many amazing people in the last three years. its nice to see old heads as well as younger ones to share their experiences. i have learned so much and love all the new people i get to meet. hope to see you all at the shows in the spring. i will be at all 11 (~);}

hope everyone has a Grateful day
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#110809 2 years, 7 months ago
age isnt important the right attitude is everything,dance on bother
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, GratefulDad420
Chester
More or less in line

#110811 2 years, 7 months ago
deadhed4life34 wrote:
im 19 and i have been lucky enough to have a grate father who got me into the Grateful Dead at a very young age. i have been to 128 Furthur shows and i have met so many amazing people in the last three years. its nice to see old heads as well as younger ones to share their experiences. i have learned so much and love all the new people i get to meet. hope to see you all at the shows in the spring. i will be at all 11 (~);}

128! Wow! Impressive. That's got to be just about all of them. Keep on truckin!
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#110815 2 years, 7 months ago
deadhed4life34 wrote:

sounds like you got the hookup!! i hope he has enough left over for college!
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds