• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
theuch24
Junior Boarder

Younger deadheads

#110206 2 years, 6 months ago
I'm 17, and a huge deadhead and i was at the Indianapolis show, the only one i caught on the fall tour because of school and i live in indiana, and i was thinking to myself and talking to a couple of my buddies that we might be the youngest deadheads in the building, and this older deadhead who saw jerry with the dead told me that we weren't and we might be the youngest deadheads that actually go to shows for the music, i know people bring their kids to shows but we were there on our own. And i thought about it that i know that the older deadheads respect me and my buddies going to shows because its passing down the torch and when all the original deadheads are gone there's gonna be some generation keeping the flame going. But i was at deer creek in 95 with my dad and technically i've seen the grateful dead but in the mindstate of being 1 years old i don't remember jack shit. But i love how the older deadheads respect the younger ones and i honestly have the most respect for the older ones. But this is just a post for the older deadheads to thank you for the respect that you give me and my friends at shows (:
I gotta get down, I gotta get down.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Re: Younger deadheads

#110217 2 years, 6 months ago
Well I'm only 33 and been on the bus since 93. I too want to thank the heads that are older than me for being so nice and help showing me the way through this circus and doing with positive vibes. I now get to do that with the new generation and it fills good. Good post.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#110218 2 years, 6 months ago
Hey theuch24, welcome aboard. There's always room for more on the bus. I think you'll find there are a lot of opinions here on what's a dead head, and who qualifies and a lot of nonsense if you ask me. What really matters is you enjoy the music and appreciate the philosophy that goes along with the scene and what makes it special. Sounds like you've got a handle on that.
Us older heads were lucky to have seen this in various stages of its evolution. Consider yourself lucky from the standpoint that you have your whole life ahead of you, and if you're fortunate enough to take with you good vibes, the memories of shows and the fellowship you'll be doing better than a lot of people in this world. Peace be with you in your quest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Bilbo
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#110225 2 years, 6 months ago
Very nicely said!!
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#110266 2 years, 6 months ago
ive never noticed it mattering. im a fairly young guy, and can at times blend in with the crowd that could have caught late nineties, ending era shows in high school or early college, due to my long hair and beard making me look older, and most heads older than that, at this point are used to seeing people of all ages. im sure joe deadhead that started seeing the band in the early 70's is used to thinking "wtf? what are all these young kids doing here?" as he saw it happen in the 80's, 90's, and sporadically throughout the post-jerry years...i actually imagined people would be more surprised, happy, confused, proud, or any mixture of the four at the young age of myself and my show going friends...but no one seems to notice much, seems like a deadhead fact of life by now maybe?
Chester
More or less in line

#110267 2 years, 6 months ago
If young at heart counts, and I believe it does, I'm in good shape.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bilbo, scar1et_f1re, SunshineSue
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#110272 2 years, 6 months ago
for the longest time i truly thought i was the youngest one in the venue....

i started seeing shows 10 years ago when i was 14. of course there were little kids there with their folks but when i went to these shows it was pretty obvious i was one of the youngest ones without their parents there. i've hung out with many older folks in fact i've done more shows with people over the age of 50 than under. once furthur really started getting underway, i noticed an evolution of the scene. i was no longer the youngest one walking around. i suddenly had years and experience within. this community has no boundaries with age. the music affects your life or it doesn't. fortunate for all of us, it does.

now there are a lot of folks younger than me. it's a great spread of folks all around.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Brother Dust
Gold Boarder

#110277 2 years, 6 months ago
The Bus still has open seats, welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#110280 2 years, 6 months ago
We are everywhere! We are cooks, we are masons, we are biologists, we are musicians, we are doctors, we are college students, we are artists, we are high school students, we are eggs in the womb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds, Bilbo
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#110291 2 years, 6 months ago
wlewis wrote:
this community has no boundaries with age. the music affects your life or it doesn't. fortunate for all of us, it does.

Well said, no boundaries.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds