• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Its an obsession but its pleasing

I want to do 8 nights at Beacon. SOLD OUT :(

#110130 2 years, 6 months ago
I have been missing out on sooo many shows for a long time because of trouble I got into 8 years ago (long story but I had a spiritual awakening and am so blessed to be alive living clean and happy) . I just found out that I am finally able to leave the state which is great and am estatic because now I can go pursue my goals as an organic farmer.

I need a miracle. I was planning on going to each night at the Beacon, but each night is sold out and I am very bummed, people on stub are selling tickets for 100$ and up. I cant believe people do that.

I have never gone to any show without tickets ever so I am not sure how easy it would be for me to find extras there. Any advice or if anyone has any extras please let me know. I live in Chicago too and was planning on flying to N.Y. I have to make it to these shows because I will have no time to really see them afterwards, Bobby and Phil arnt getting any younger. This music means the world to me

Thanks to all

Love and light

"just trying to express myself cause baby thats the way I feel"
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
Lynx3000
Junior Boarder

Re: I want to do 8 nights at Beacon. SOLD OUT :(

#110135 2 years, 6 months ago
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Lynx3000.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#110138 2 years, 6 months ago
The Beacon is a small theater which holds approximately 2,600 seats. Getting a ticket will not be easy if you don't have one. New York city is a wonderful magical place, with tons of art, culture, music and all kinds of other good stuff. Having been born and raised here, I understand that it is not everyones cup of tea. Why so many people think that it is the 21 century equivalent of Soddom and Gemora is beyond my comprehension. Whatever floats your boat.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by nycdave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: katie mae
Lynx3000
Junior Boarder

#110146 2 years, 6 months ago
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Lynx3000.
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#110151 2 years, 6 months ago
Like dave, NYC is my home town and it's a wonderful place, to me it's the best city on earth. But like any place on earth, particularly urban areas, there are good parts and bad parts. Overall, locals in NYC are kind people who will go out of their way to help a visitor or someone in need. People outside NYC don't think that's the case because they see otherwise in movies and TV shows. In fact, some of the very coolest folks in NYC are the NYPD, kindest dudes you'll ever meet anywhere.

As for the original poster's question, I'm not really keen on folks coming to a site like this, no matter what their situation, and asking for a free ticket, which is how I read the OP. If I misread, then I apologize about my last sentence. I think if you can afford plane ticket from Chicago to NYC, then you can afford one or two nights of tickets bought on stub hub or from someone here if anyone has extras to sell. But you have to factor in a hotel, food, etc. and if you're just getting back on your feet, I personally think it's more important to get back on your feet, and on solid ground in your life, and let the music wait until you get sorted out.

By the way, congrats on getting yourself clean and sober. That's a huge achievement in itself ~

ETA: Why don't you go over to Dead.net and check out the Wharf Rats forum and see what folks over there have to say? Maybe you can connect with some other folks in recovery and they can help you out. It seems like if/when you go to your first show sober, it would be important to be near folks that understand what you're going through, yanno? They seem like nice folks over there.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by katie mae.
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#110166 2 years, 6 months ago
NYC is expensive, not very friendly to vendors, or heads, and aside from the fact that the boys play some incredible music there, it's probably not the best place to party with your fellow deadheads. I have always had a good time in NYC at the show, but before and after are pretty hairy, and trying to score a ticket on the street in NYC, is going to usually cost you a pretty penny. If you do find tickets on the street in NYC, they probably won't be any cheaper than what you'll find on stubhub. Don't get me wrong, I have found a face value ticket for NYC shows on several occasions, but just know there will probably be some pretty stiff competition, and if you are ONLY going there for the show, you may be disappointed if you don't want to spend a lot of cash.
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#110176 2 years, 6 months ago
I just read your post, and don't think you were asking for that kind of miracle (free ticket). Just wanted to say that in your defense. I'll concur with others here that it will be very difficult to find face value tickets for any of these shows, unless you're EXTREMELY full of good fortune. Unless you have accomodations a hotel in Manhattan will run you about $90/night. Considering your situation I wish you best of luck, but being realistic here, just so you are aware. If you decide to take your chances be careful and do your homework.
The following user(s) said Thank You: direwolflove222
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

#110180 2 years, 6 months ago
I can understand your wish to see all 8 shows. Should be a great run of shows.

Back in 1980 the Dead announced 12 shows at the Warfield (about the same size as the Beacon).
I wanted to go to all the shows (I lived about 45 minutes drive away). Then it was mail order only and you could only order like 4 tickets per show (I forget the details), so I had a bunch of friends mail in for me to try to get all the shows covered. Tickets cost $10.00.

It sold out instantly and they added 3 more shows to satisfy demand.

I got lucky and got tickets for the 12 shows but not the three added shows. I managed to get into two of the added shows, one thanks to Bill Graham, and one to a friend who had an extra. The one show I missed I was up there trying to get a ticket, but no luck. Anyway, 14 out of 15 is not bad.

It was like a full time job...going to see the Dead 5 nights a week for three days. Tough job, but somebody has to do it!

At that time the Dead made 2 live albums from those shows, and the following 5 shows at Radio City Music Hall.

I think this run by Furthur may be similar in that they might put out an official live album or DVD...great to be part of that if it happens.

I would love to go but I had a bad experience in NYC. For Furthur shows they had an undercover operation going on arresting hundreds of heads before and after shows...I could not believe it...coming from California and Alaska. Was it really 2011? NYC has 100 million a year to waste on busting tourists with a joint, yet have to lay off teachers...anyway suffice to say I won't go back to NYC. I know the band loves to play there, but it is the most unfriendly place I've been for heads.

Good luck on your ticket hunt.
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

#110220 2 years, 6 months ago
guitargeorge wrote:
I can understand your wish to see all 8 shows. Should be a great run of shows.

I would love to go but I had a bad experience in NYC. For Furthur shows they had an undercover operation going on arresting hundreds of heads before and after shows...I could not believe it...coming from California and Alaska. Was it really 2011? NYC has 100 million a year to waste on busting tourists with a joint, yet have to lay off teachers...anyway suffice to say I won't go back to NYC. I know the band loves to play there, but it is the most unfriendly place I've been for heads.

Good luck on your ticket hunt.

I think that's why they're not playing Best Buy this time and have moved to the Beacon, which I expect to be more conducive to us.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#110249 2 years, 6 months ago
yea I got shut out of fri/sat. It sucks and I hate scalpers to death and you could all flame me if you want but theres no way I'm really getting shut out and I'm ready to hit up stubhub in a couple months myself when the prices drop a little and grab the cheapest ticket I could. I don't want to give a scalper any extra money but to me its worth the extra money for the piece of mind having a secured ticket and not having to hope for a miracle the day of or close to the day of the show.

This may be my only chance to hit a whole tour and theres no way I'm missing any of it, especially a NYC run - I'm calling them not doing a single repeat during the 8 night run....
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
Time to create page: 5.38 seconds