• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

MSG relisten

#110018 2 years, 3 months ago
Anyone relisten to the fall MSG? Is it me or was it much better hearing it live for those who were there? Larry and Theresa were such a joy to see on stage, perhaps thats what did it for me. This VIP show for me was such a tremendous experience. But for some odd reason I listened to the show again and it did not have the pop as it did live.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: MSG relisten

#110029 2 years, 3 months ago
I thought the same thing when I listened (on archives). I thought it was because there is only one version up on archives that is good, but not great. To me, the clips from this stream are a little better. www.archive.org/details/11-13-11ILoveNewYork

I think it will sound much better when the official soundboard is released on archives in March (March 10th 2012 plus or minus a day)
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#110039 2 years, 3 months ago
it never has the pop. Your speakers don't have the quality of the speakers in the arena. And the digital format loosese signals, and your ears are much more capable of capturing sound than recording devices, and the subjective... maybe you aren't as pop'd now as then. And of course- the contact high. Go into a room with thousands of pot smokers for a little bit and then listen to that recording.... it'll pop your rocks right off, I tell you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#110043 2 years, 3 months ago
I've got a copy of the sbd and I'd say that I agree with you...in the moment that night I was stunned, especially after the 1st set and told my friend (it was her 1st time seeing Furthur and she is relatively new to the GD thing) that she picked a great first show...I think the heavy hitter 1st set left me so stunned; Sugar Mag, Scarlet, Eyes, UJB, and Box of Rain all in the 1st set? I was going crazy especially with the So Many Roads and Box to end the set with Larry on fiddle, two of my all time favorite songs...However, after relistening to it, being there in the moment was way more exciting where we were Phil was nice and loud and driving and on the sbd the bombs aren't as loud or as powerful...a very fun show, but I prefer the night after in Syracuse more on a musical level but MSG more on because of it being my 1st time to the Garden and the nostalgia and introducing a high school friend to the GD music
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: newyawker
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

#110047 2 years, 3 months ago
I wasn't there, but recordings do not capture the magic. I have not heard a soundboard but the one audience recording I heard is amazing for the crowd energy. During Scarlet Begonias the crowd energy is off the hook.

Loved Larry's violin. Best Tennesse Jed I've heard and it's not one of my favorites.

Recording is not the greatest but Phil sounds great. The opening bombs on Shakedown come through loud and clear without clipping.

Jeff C. on Unbroken Chain is just mind blowing.

Sounds like a grate show to me. Wish I was there but I can't handle NY city.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#110059 2 years, 3 months ago
lostsailor wrote:
it never has the pop. Your speakers don't have the quality of the speakers in the arena. And the digital format loosese signals, and your ears are much more capable of capturing sound than recording devices, and the subjective... maybe you aren't as pop'd now as then. And of course- the contact high. Go into a room with thousands of pot smokers for a little bit and then listen to that recording.... it'll pop your rocks right off, I tell you.

I'm not sure I fully agree that it never has the pop. Take Barton Hall / Cornell. You can feel the magic dripping off the Betty Board. I went to a string of very electric shows in '85 (Saratoga, Nassau Col, Meadowlands, ++). I can still hear the pop on those recordings. But they are soundboards. One thing about MSG is I never thought it had good acoustics. Especially if you are running around and dancin.

Also hearing is subjective. Most of my favorite recordings are from shows I've attended. I also tend to enjoy some of the older Greek Theatre shows - even though I've never been there.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#110079 2 years, 3 months ago
guitargeorge wrote:
I wasn't there, but recordings do not capture the magic. I have not heard a soundboard but the one audience recording I heard is amazing for the crowd energy. During Scarlet Begonias the crowd energy is off the hook.

Loved Larry's violin. Best Tennesse Jed I've heard and it's not one of my favorites.

Recording is not the greatest but Phil sounds great. The opening bombs on Shakedown come through loud and clear without clipping.

Jeff C. on Unbroken Chain is just mind blowing.

Sounds like a grate show to me. Wish I was there but I can't handle NY city.

Guitar george "Who knows all the chords" I should have clarified my statement a tad better. There is a difference of being there vs listening to it on tape or download(Showing my age) this I am not attempting to disagree with. The point I am making is after seeing so many shows, of which I cannot remember physically being at all of them, certain ones I relisten to bring it as if I was there and remain as hot. An example would be the first time I listened to the Labor day show in maine 1980. I was not even there but the show is perhaps the top 10 of al time for me. WHen I was at the MSG show I thought it was great, I just am not hearing the same 'hotness' as the recording. The reverse is also true, certain shows I attended I thought sucked, but relistened and realized it was hot.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by newyawker.
guitargeorge
Junior Boarder
Look at it right!

#110092 2 years, 3 months ago
Newyawker, I was refering to this recording:

www.archive.org/details/furthur2011-11-1...300.banaszewski.flac

Nothing like being there...I know what you mean, but the recordings only offer sound, and at the shows you experience it with all five senses and more. Sometimes you get a glimpse of the energy present through the recordings. I think this recording from MSG 11.10.11 does give a glimpse of the energy...even ghogh I was not there...maybe that is the catch...if i was there I might be going, "the recording does not capture it."

Recently on 12.30.11 I was blown away by the opener, Jack Straw. I thought it was the best I ever heard. Bought the CDs. Not quite what I experienced at the time. I really think it is just because it is just audio and not the full spectrum experience.

And then there is the whole queston of state of consciousness at time of show vs. listening later.

But I gotta say, based on that recording by Jeremy Banaszewski, this was one of the best Furthur shows ever. The band is really responding to the great crowd energy...that much I get off the tape. Again I refer to Scarlet Begonias...off the hook!
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds