• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Mickey to make giant Wind Harp out of GG Bridge

#109984 2 years, 9 months ago
This is a pretty cool project, I'd say. Mickey is just so great!

Mickey Hart To Turn Golden Gate Bridge Into Giant 'Wind Harp'

In honor of the 75th birthday of the Golden Gate Bridge, being celebrated this May, artist and former Grateful Dead member Mickey Hart will turn the iconic bridge into a giant musical instrument — something he's been obsessed with doing since the late '60s. Hart will be recording "the sounds of the bridge moving, as captured with devices posted all over the span, inside its structures and out, as the basis for music." Also, per Leah Garchik, "Drummers will play along in 'musical conversation' with those sounds."
Hart was hauled away by cops twice in the 60s and 70s when he was attempting to record the sounds of the bridge in earlier iterations of the project. But now that he's famous and not just a random hippie trespasser, he's getting to fulfill his dream in an official capacity. He's ever so excited to finally "let people hear what it sounds like. ... The bridge is going to sing its song."

http://sfist.com/2012/01/09/golden_gate_...to_be_turned_int.php
The following user(s) said Thank You: Equinox, Tmglf2, amusingdeva, FurthurFlower67, GratefulDad420, Bakes, theotherone
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Re: Mickey to make giant Wind Harp out of GG Bridge

#109988 2 years, 9 months ago
Thanks, cool story. if anyone heard his premier show on Sirius a week or two ago, Mickey told a story about him and Bobby getting high in the mid, late 60's and hopping the fence at the zoo in order to record the animals. They got thrown out on their butts according to Mickey.

I like this pic in the multimedia section of this site. Here's Mickey....

7551fc69f2ac183fe9fdb9d6c412cebe_115_.jpg
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
theotherone
Junior Boarder

#110025 2 years, 9 months ago

I've always enjoyed Mickey's perspective on things.
......While the Music Plays the Band.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#110076 2 years, 9 months ago
that's killer. when i was in college the music department built an "earth harp" that extended from the ground to the top of one of the buildings, and had these thick cables that were like tuned strings. i got dosed to the gills one night and i stood there plucking away until i got the sun to rise
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#110083 2 years, 9 months ago
Wow this is really neat!! Mickey is full of so much creative energy! I can't wait to see how this turns out. And wonders where his next cool idea will lead him....
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#110142 2 years, 9 months ago
Is it just me or does it seem like Mickey's doing his best, most audacious work right now? The mature vision of an obsolute master.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds