• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Bilbo
Senior Boarder
They Love eachother...

Re: Is the deadhead an endangered species?

#110155 2 years, 7 months ago
Bakes wrote:
I don't know the answer to this question, but you folks might. What are we called? I am still a huge fan of GD music listening and playing on guitar regularly, but don't really consider myself a deadhead anymore. Did that term die with Jerry or do you still call yourself a deadhead? Furthur is current and relevant, and I'm really digging where the band is taking us, but what are we called? I suppose there are die hard fans that don't dig Furthur and still call themselves heads. I'm happy just being as long as we don't call ourselves wookies! Do we reach Furthur or hang on? All this talk of late about Jerry in the last years has me thinking about this again.

We are "Heads", pure and simple...
Peals of fragile thunder...keeping time...
GratefulDad420
Senior Boarder

#110157 2 years, 7 months ago
BTW, I have been doing Dead (and other incarnations) shows since the 90's and the scene never died out. I am not sure if some of you just quit when Jerry died, and thought everything ended, but that isn't the case. There was Furthur Festival, Phil and Friends, Ratdog, The Other Ones, The Dead, Rhythm Devils, Mickey Hart's Planet Drum and Mystery Box, all keeping the scene alive up until today's Furthur, Mickey Hart Band, and 7 Walkers. There has always been a lot at most of those events, albeit it sometimes a great deal smaller than what you had on the GD tour, but smaller doesn't mean non-existent. Phil and Friends lot, and Ratdog's lot was often very similar to what you see on Furthur lot, which is still pretty similar to what you had on GD lot.

Sure some of the crowd is now younger, and yes, there has always been some folks who are undesirable, but that is not the rule, nor the majority. I think what was said earlier about the street scene in another thread about Cali street kids is more spot on, and am guessing that the majority of people who think something different, just haven't been going all these years. I haven't stopped, and the scene has changed a bit, and evolved, but don't worry, because I am still there trying to set an example for the newer crowds, as are many of my old school friends. If you don't like something about the scene, come on down and let's lead by example, together!

If we feel attached and moved by the Grateful Dead music and the scene of the past and future, I think that qualifies us as deadheads.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by GratefulDad420.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#110158 2 years, 7 months ago
Katie M: I understand what you are saying. Even us east coasters are not always looking to be difficult. My concern is how we go about measuring what a "deadhead" is. Some of us have devoted more time are more moved by the experience then others. I myself have even been accused of being a "deadhead." I just believe that this is not a club that has qualifications. You are correct; not everyone that went to or now goes to dead or dead related shows is a DH. That is an over simplification. This bit about being more dead then others is IMHO just silly. There is both good and bad in the world and in our community. Yin Yang, all that stuff. What I'm saying is that people need not concern themselves with "fitting in." Or being labeled. Just as long as you are there. One more minor gripe, being an "east coster" and all that. It is rumored that Phil has an apartment in NYC. Does that lower his status in deadlands?
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by nycdave.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#110163 2 years, 7 months ago
dead freaks unite

enough said.

deadhead, head, furthurhead, scratchyourhead, stealyourface

a rose is a rose is a musta been the roses.

we've been doing it. still doing it, we'll keep doing it till the music stops

so far

the music never stopped
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#110169 2 years, 7 months ago
nycdave wrote:
Katie M: I understand what you are saying. Even us east coasters are not always looking to be difficult. My concern is how we go about measuring what a "deadhead" is. Some of us have devoted more time are more moved by the experience then others. I myself have even been accused of being a "deadhead." I just believe that this is not a club that has qualifications. You are correct; not everyone that went to or now goes to dead or dead related shows is a DH. That is an over simplification. This bit about being more dead then others is IMHO just silly. There is both good and bad in the world and in our community. Yin Yang, all that stuff. What I'm saying is that people need not concern themselves with "fitting in." Or being labeled. Just as long as you are there. One more minor gripe, being an "east coster" and all that. It is rumored that Phil has an apartment in NYC. Does that lower his status in deadlands?

dave, no offense intended re: the east coast comment, I'm from there originally and NYC is my hometown so there ya go! As for the rest of what you're saying, I agree, there are good and bad elements in the scene, some heads are cool, some are not, and yes, it's always been that way. But I guess when someone does something fucked up - is scamming someone, being disrespectful of others or of the local areas the shows are in, etc. - I think to myself, "that's not very head-like, behaving that way..." So to me, I guess I feel there are a set of unspoken things we all abide by, but some just don't abide, and as the song goes, "It's got no signs or dividing lines. and very few rules to guide." But yeah, I think there are rules of basic decency and do unto others and all that basic stuff. Then again, that sort of applies to all aspects of life, at least I think it does.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#110183 2 years, 7 months ago
Dude ... Why do you think we drop what we are doing, sneakily buy tickets while at work making up some wild ass excuse as to why we missed the meeting as we madly try to get in line at ticketmaster.com, blow off fixing the car to "save money", ask for time off work for "Aunt Mildred's 75th Birthday", ask grandma to babysit for a week and it "will be the last time we ask I swear"???? So we can go on tour to see Furthur!!!!!!!!!! Because we are DEAD HEADS!!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: theuch24
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#110210 2 years, 7 months ago
KMae - No offense taken. I know lots of x NYers who now reside on the left coast. My sister is one of them. She complains so much about how cold it is here. Anyways, some think that the luv, joy, (being at peace with) people, fun, dancin', hearing tunes n' jams, can be helpful. That the kindness shared at shows might even be shared with the world. NFA. I'm not sure I buy into that. Two Hunter lines come to mind. 1) Gone are the broken eyes we saw through in dreams, Gone both Dream and Lie. 2) We gave the best we had to give, how much we'll never know. As for me, I'm there for the music. Plus Phil. The dancin' is also fun!
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by nycdave.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#110297 2 years, 7 months ago
I think once a deadhead always a deadhead. It doesn't matter if you still go to shows or not.

Also, I think there will always be deadheads even after all the tours are no more, because there will still be GD influenced musicians and cover bands etc.

Does one even have to go to shows to be a deadhead?

I have a friend who never saw the GD and is a huge Garcia and Mydland fan. He was a big tape and CD collector and is a total deadhead but he has no interest in seeing Ratdog, Phil & Friends, Furthur, etc. His favorite GD era is 79-84 because he's a huge Brent fan. He's a deadhead. Mention a date and he'll rattle off the venue and what songs they played, stuff like "oh yeah that was a good show, unexpected jam at the end of Black Peter..."

I realize it's a lifestyle thing too, but to me if you like the music you're a DH.
These are the good old days!!
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#110349 2 years, 7 months ago
BillyDeLion wrote:

I realize it's a lifestyle thing too, but to me if you like the music you're a DH.

IWhen you boil it down, it's all about the music, the common denominator that brings all together!
Cheers!
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#110488 2 years, 7 months ago
Lynx3000 wrote:
Yes. Very endangered. I propose we begin capturing the fittest wild deadheads we can find and then start breeding them in captivity to increase genetic diversity amongst the population in hopes of making the species more viable long-term. We will raise each newborn deadlet using hand puppets with dread locks and that smell like patchouli to insure that the deadlets imprint upon their own kind. We will know they are ready to be released into the wild and join the rest of the herd when they stop doing chores and instead walk around the house with their finger in the air hoping to be miracled an allowance.

Insert slow clap here >>>

This is seriously one of the funniest post I have read to date.

Carry on (sorry for moving a dead thread to the top)
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds